Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   In anticipation of the end of mining after Party Beta takes effect (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402078)

Wynton 12-20-2005 02:30 PM

In anticipation of the end of mining after Party Beta takes effect

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.

My understanding is that Party Beta software does not permit importing observed hands, and that will become the rule eventually.

I've never been a big miner myself, mostly because I've been playing elsewhere. But I'm just curious: are people making any special efforts to datamine at Party in anticipation of this change?

And is there going to be a big market for selling observed hands, in the immediate aftermath of the change, whenever it happens?

LImitPlayer 12-20-2005 02:41 PM

Re: In anticipation of the end of mining after Party Beta takes effect

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that Party Beta software does not permit importing observed hands, and that will become the rule eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

Wynton 12-20-2005 02:43 PM

According to what I've read at the Poketracker forum and elsewhere, it is true.

See this thread, for example.

DarkKnight 12-20-2005 02:43 PM

the current version of the beta does not save observed hands to the local drive and doesn't give the play by play in the chat box - so, yes it appears to be true.

12-20-2005 02:48 PM

I still have the the original PP on my comp. anyway to keep it from upgrading?

DarkKnight 12-20-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still have the the original PP on my comp. anyway to keep it from upgrading?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the beta is over - Unlikely

soko 12-20-2005 02:57 PM

GOOD.

punter11235 12-20-2005 02:58 PM

Writing a program which read HH's from what is going on the table (you very easily can read chat or even recognize card images) and then convert it to std HH format is very easy programming task (my friend wrote it in one day for other site when he had his crazy bot ideas). I think dataminers will be quick to get their own program for that.

Best wishes

jba 12-20-2005 02:59 PM

if they are keeping the ability to open tables and continue to pump the hand info to the chat box something can easily be done a la UB hand grabber.

Wynton 12-20-2005 03:01 PM

Well, Dark Knight says here that "the current version of the beta does not save observed hands to the local drive and doesn't give the play by play in the chat box."

12-20-2005 03:02 PM

does anyone know when they plan to release the new sofware?

TylerD 12-20-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the current version of the beta does not save observed hands to the local drive and doesn't give the play by play in the chat box - so, yes it appears to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian 12-20-2005 03:20 PM

I predict a lot of players making good use of the function to change screenname once the changes kick in.

BigBrother 12-20-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And is there going to be a big BLACK MARKET for selling observed hands, in the immediate aftermath of the change, whenever it happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize selling HH's is very much against T&C's, no?

Wynton 12-20-2005 04:24 PM

No,actually I didn't realize that.

KSOT 12-20-2005 04:56 PM

This is the worst news I've heard all year.

Datamining is my first love.

Wynton 12-20-2005 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the worst news I've heard all year.

Datamining is my first love.

[/ QUOTE ]

There, there. As far as I know, Party hasn't indicated when this change is going to occur, so enjoy mining while you can.

12-20-2005 08:07 PM

Isn't someone developing a program called "supamine"? What's the point if Party Beta is going to make it irrelevant?

John

POKhER 12-20-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Writing a program which read HH's from what is going on the table (you very easily can read chat or even recognize card images)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easily identify the cards from the image analysis huh? I can program, and i can't think of a way to do this.

PM me the details mate.

Guys - I'm sure there will be ways around it, We'll have to see when the software is released.

The main problem will be POKERACE "mucked cards" no longer displaying... Oh joy... poker gets worse and worse.

Voltron87 12-20-2005 08:27 PM

do you guys all realize that if party wanted to they could just say "if you run [name of new mining app] we will shut down your account", its one thing to design a new program but if they want to they will have their way.

mmbt0ne 12-20-2005 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing a program which read HH's from what is going on the table (you very easily can read chat or even recognize card images)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easily identify the cards from the image analysis huh? I can program, and i can't think of a way to do this.

PM me the details mate.

Guys - I'm sure there will be ways around it, We'll have to see when the software is released.

The main problem will be POKERACE "mucked cards" no longer displaying... Oh joy... poker gets worse and worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was only and issue for observed HH. If you're actually sitting at the table, they're still giving you your game information so you can keep records.

raze 12-20-2005 09:12 PM

So all in all, PT users / data miners won't have a *massive* advantage over everyone else anymore.. just a *large* one. womp womp

joop 12-20-2005 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you guys all realize that if party wanted to they could just say "if you run [name of new mining app] we will shut down your account", its one thing to design a new program but if they want to they will have their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you open several tables without actually logging in?

TheRempel 12-21-2005 12:15 AM

'Very easily identify the cards from the image analysis huh? I can program, and i can't think of a way to do this.'

Couldn't you just datamine on a second computer and replace all the card images with white fields containing a code that is easily decipherable by software?

Terry 12-21-2005 02:07 AM

There are many screen scraping utilities available. The kiddies do it all the time, writing bots for MMORPGs. Reading the cards shown is pretty simple but they still won't get the unshown hole cards.

This isn't something new; it is just going back to the way things were before Party started keeping hand histories on your computer instead of by email only. Hand histories should never have been available for observed hands in the first place.

teddyFBI 12-21-2005 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'Very easily identify the cards from the image analysis huh? I can program, and i can't think of a way to do this.'

Couldn't you just datamine on a second computer and replace all the card images with white fields containing a code that is easily decipherable by software?

[/ QUOTE ]

n1

12-21-2005 02:34 AM

Not being a Beta player, I can only ask this here.

If I'm in a hand, is the history stored on my local hard drive?

Also, you say that dealer chat is not giving a blow-by-blow to the observers? Is it giving any chat at all (summary, winners, starting hand, etc?)

StellarWind 12-21-2005 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. PokerStars banned the analogous StarSpy and made it stick. Party can easily do the same.

12-21-2005 07:04 AM

This is fantastic news. You made my day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

david050173 12-21-2005 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. PokerStars banned the analogous StarSpy and made it stick. Party can easily do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are whole books devoted to image analysis. Go to amazon and do a search. This case is really easy since reading pixels is a heck of a lot cleaner than reading photographs.

The value you lose is not seeing losing hands. You can still calculate a bunch of numbers but you can't learn that he calls down with weak aces, semibluffs a lot, and so on...

Unabridged 12-21-2005 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't someone developing a program called "supamine"? What's the point if Party Beta is going to make it irrelevant?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

he's already working on a way to get observed hands without reading the .hhf

Voltron87 12-22-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, and then party will ban the new supamine program or pahud. if party wants observer mining gone, goddamnit it will be gone.

Pov 12-22-2005 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, and then party will ban the new supamine program or pahud. if party wants observer mining gone, goddamnit it will be gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, for the resourceful they'll never be able to prevent screen capture (assuming they would ever intend to). To anticipate, no, they can't prevent you from running an external program because you can always run Party from a virtual machine or terminal and screen capture from the host system. Of course that's too complex for the casual player, but then again, the casual player doesn't really gain anything from data mining in the first place I suppose. So anyway, if they want to remove observer mining they will have to remove observing.

POKhER 12-22-2005 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, this just sparked so many ideas off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Time to get coding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Of course most programs released to the public will get banned, thats why most programmers who release their products will find themselves having to constantly upgrade and redistribute the software they have made to their paying customers(Provided they have offered support I.E. PAHUD).

Thats why i'll never release any software i create ^_^ unless people pay a big price and even then, i wouldn't offer support.

Voltron87 12-22-2005 12:12 PM

ok, i will change my statement to "if party wants observer mining gone, goddamnit they will make it infeasible and too much of a pain for 99% of players."

12-22-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i will change my statement to "if party wants observer mining gone, goddamnit they will make it infeasible and too much of a pain for 99% of players."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it matters. 90+% of the players don't mine anyway (the casual players). Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system.

For serious 2+2 types, I doubt requiring a 2nd monitor and system to run mining software and have all the stats will deter them. All this work to prevent datamining really will have a minor impact, particularly if you count hands played.

Say:
90% of hands are by people who don't datamine
5% (the semi-serious players) will give it up
5% (the die-hards) will work around it with a 2nd system

Now, weight that by hands played, the die-hards play waaaay more hands than anyone else. The EXACT demographic that plays the most datamined hands won't be really affected.

So, all this effort only stops a fairly small percentage of played hands from using datamining help. Effort I'd much rather see spent on improved bot and collusion detection, or, god forbid, good customer service.

jba 12-22-2005 02:25 PM

"Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system."

if this is actually possible I'm never playing online poker again. It almost certainly isn't..

slavic 12-22-2005 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system."

if this is actually possible I'm never playing online poker again. It almost certainly isn't..

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible? Yea anything is possible. Doable in our lifetime, yea probably. Worth the effort, not likely.

OrangeHeat 12-22-2005 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.

I've never been a big miner myself, mostly because I've been playing elsewhere. But I'm just curious: are people making any special efforts to datamine at Party in anticipation of this change?

And is there going to be a big market for selling observed hands, in the immediate aftermath of the change, whenever it happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Best move party could make! Took long enough.

Orange

12-22-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible? Yea anything is possible. Doable in our lifetime, yea probably. Worth the effort, not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, it's trivial for anyone with IP traffic knowledge (and there's plenty). There are packet sniffers freely available.

You simply have a system A watch traffic on the network and datamine. You play on system B on the same network. You know the reason your boss could track EVERY thing you do on the web at work? Because all that info flies over the network. It's not like you have some sort of private line for your data.

God awful trivial. Again, you just need ONE motivated engineer to figure out the packet structure. He then just sells/gives the app to everyone else just like the guy that made PokerTracker did.

Then you get the arms race of Party encrypting packets, rotating keys, etc, and we'll see if the datamining engineers want to try to keep up with it.