Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   blind battle against a lag (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393895)

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:04 AM

blind battle against a lag

guy in bb is decently aggressive and likes to make big bluffs. When he first sat down I laid down on the river a flopped str8t to his continued big bets--flop was monotone and I gave him credit for the flush.

Villain is about 50/15 and has been raising my sb enough that I decide k high is good against his hand range.

.5/1 nl

villain 200, I cover

I complete sb with k4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]; villain raises to 5; 3 to flop

[J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

I check; villain bets 11; 1 fold; I call.

[J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
pot $37

villain bets $33

I call

[J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

(pot $103)

I check; villain all in 150; I ???

I gotta call, right?

DJ Sensei 12-08-2005 01:09 AM

Re: blind battle against a lag

I think a call is fine, you'll see AK/KQ often enough here.

However, I would say you played the hand rather poorly. Until you hit your kicker on the river, you've already thrown almost $50 in with TPNK against a big raise and 2 full-pot bets. What happens when you don't pair the 4 on the river and he pushes?

I think you're paying too much attention to the player, and not enough to the cards here. You can (and should) definitely find a better spot to stack this maniac.

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:15 AM

I decided I had the best hand on the flop and figured I'd let him do his thing. I think the 4 of no consequence in the hand. KK is either good or isn't. I'm either spewing or calling down well someone who likes to bet big with nothing.

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:47 AM

My main focus is on the cards and the player, sometimes one, more than the other; but my decisions are typically based on what I have vs. what he is likely to have given the type of player he is.

I really wasn't looking to stack him; I just thought I had the best hand.

My main reason for responding again is to note that it is not true that I will find a better spot to stack him. He wasn't a crazy maniac. He was tough to play against, playing all sorts of hands fast and using aggression to make folks fold.

ajmargarine 12-08-2005 01:52 AM

Why make reads if you aren't going to follow them? Call. nh. Fold preflop next time. His position trumps your 'better than his hand range' holding.

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:59 AM

Why make reads if you aren't gonna follow?--

Exactly, though I'm not very good at following through against an all in.

So in hu play you fold k high in the sb? (I know this isn't hu play but I viewed it as a blind battle, cause he was raising me blind so much).

italianstang 12-08-2005 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided I had the best hand on the flop and figured I'd let him do his thing. I think the 4 of no consequence in the hand. KK is either good or isn't. I'm either spewing or calling down well someone who likes to bet big with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you played it pretty well assuming villain is on a bluff of some kind and maybe picked up a decent hand along the way. You can't fold the river obviously.

12-08-2005 03:39 AM

Thats a mass overbet by the villain which makes things seem fishy. It also seems that ur set on playin this hand out by calling a bet on flop and turn, so u shouldnt be worried when a rag hits on the river that actually improves ur hand. You think ur hand is good on flop and turn, and became better on the river... why would u fold if you called him the whole way thinking ur K is good? Seems like ur worried about getting 150 in the middle.
I probably would've folded the turn... too risky getting big $ in with no kick no draw