Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   folding with decent odds to call? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403278)

12-22-2005 04:17 AM

folding with decent odds to call?

villain is 60/8. I've "almost" stacked him about two times where I value bet for 2/3 pot on river leaving him $8 or so behind and he just called (with a worse hand). Him pushing sets off alarms in my head. I'm getting 4:1 though.

Edit: I don't think I even noticed that the board was paired until after I folded. Is it weak to fold if the board was [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]? I figured him for a trash queen.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $50NL (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($172.35)
MP ($23.50)
Button ($22.25)
SB ($19.75)
BB ($13.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, MP calls $4.

Turn: ($12.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $17.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $39.25

Mroberts3 12-22-2005 06:03 AM

Re: folding with decent odds to call?

I hate these situations because you are getting decent odds to call him down, but at the same time its hard to put him on a hand you beat besides a total bluff. Personally, this smells like an 8...

12-22-2005 07:52 AM

I think I check this turn or bet less... is that poor?

Given the action though, I'd call. This is 67 or a flush draw enogh of the time that the odds are worth it I believe.

12-22-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I check this turn or bet less... is that poor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's poor at all. My bet was sized so that I could get the rest of his stack in on the river - I was getting greedy after being called down by him with mid-pair, fd type hands. Given the paired board I probably should have checked and folded to any aggression.

PinkSteel 12-22-2005 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these situations because you are getting decent odds to call him down, but at the same time its hard to put him on a hand you beat besides a total bluff....

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why we don't build big pots with modest holdings. Check the turn.