Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Ace with a weakish kicker short handed ( 5-10NL) whats my action? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399037)

arod15 12-15-2005 03:00 PM

Ace with a weakish kicker short handed ( 5-10NL) whats my action?

5-10 NL 7 players (4 sitting out) so really 3 players

Effective stacks 1200
Hero is delt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button

Hero raises to 35
SB folds
BB re-raises to 70 (no reads on him yet as I just sat down an orbit ago and busted a shorti with KK. So I have no image yet)
Hero calls

Flop is A 2 7r (pot 145)

Villian Bets 250
Whats the plan?

12-15-2005 03:04 PM

Re: Ace with a weakish kicker short handed ( 5-10NL) whats my action?

I would call and probably fold to any further aggression on later streets.

Dumle

wdeadwyler 12-15-2005 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call and probably fold to any further aggression on later streets.

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldnt be a good to make with AA (IMO), since you arent calling anyway without an ace or another set, since only a set or an ace would give him action on this flop, and he sells a bluff.

It could also be KK puting in his last dime into the pot.

I think with AK he woulda led half pot.

Dumle's call line and fold to further aggression is ok I guess (I cant think of an alternate one), I think you see a set or a big wired pair a huge portion of the time.

arod15 12-15-2005 04:39 PM

I find calling here to be perhaps the worst option. Why build a huge pot if you have no intention of going foward if he fires a second barrel. To me this was a line between pushing and folding.... Thoughts? I'm not saying im right just my thoughts at the time...

jonnyUCB 12-15-2005 05:07 PM

with no reads I fold. I like to know if he'll slowdown when I call his c-bet. Push is super ugly.

arod15 12-15-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with no reads I fold. I like to know if he'll slowdown when I call his c-bet. Push is super ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with folding. ALthough, if you have a solid read (which i didnt) i think pushing would be fine.
Anyway I mucked and he didnt show. But i wanted to see if people thought this was weak....

emil3000 12-15-2005 05:11 PM

Push is definitely the worst option. I am not familiar with the dynamics of donkish live play in the US but I think KK is the most likely hand, this bet smells a bit scared to me.

pologuy64 12-15-2005 05:16 PM

fold

arod15 12-15-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push is definitely the worst option. I am not familiar with the dynamics of donkish live play in the US but I think KK is the most likely hand, this bet smells a bit scared to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason pushing crossed my mind. to KK would probably play a bit scared and overbet. But again with little info and not much in the pot i didnt want to pay to find out.

BobboFitos 12-15-2005 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find calling here to be perhaps the worst option. Why build a huge pot if you have no intention of going foward if he fires a second barrel. To me this was a line between pushing and folding.... Thoughts? I'm not saying im right just my thoughts at the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

emil3000 12-15-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason pushing crossed my mind. to KK would probably play a bit scared and overbet. But again with little info and not much in the pot i didnt want to pay to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yarr, don't push it's horrible.

arod15 12-15-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Can i get your rational? I'm not sure my line was the best and what to see why you believe calling >>> raising imo

What about the fold? Discuss...
Thanks

BobboFitos 12-15-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Can i get your rational? I'm not sure my line was the best and what to see why you believe calling >>> raising imo

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

whats to discuss? answer me why raising is better. are you bluffing or getting value?

the fold is fine, without a read it takes gall calling down here when he minreraised pf.

arod15 12-15-2005 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

whats to discuss? answer me why raising is better. are you bluffing or getting value?

the fold is fine, without a read it takes gall calling down here when he minreraised pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding > calling

If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise. You would however perhaps get a weaker ace to fold and perhaps an A10-J if the opponent is particualry tight. I was just curious why you would call and if you thought it was better than folding. Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do. As someone who is just started to move into the 5-10 level I thought i could learn from the coach....

swarm 12-15-2005 05:55 PM

Come on arod, think about it for a minute... the reason not to push is a pretty general concept.

All a push does is fold out hands you beat and get you called by hands when your beat. If you think you are ahead you want to call and induce another bluff by villan trying to push out an A with his KK. If you call this flop bet you are going with a read that you are ahead and trying to maximize value out of this hand.

Pushing is just scared poker because you don't want to make anymore difficult decisions on later streets, however all it reall does is ensure you either lose the most or win the least.

BobboFitos 12-15-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I feel that if you plan to continue the hand I'd rather let him bet then bet myself. As to what I would do? Well, lack of a read, he minreraised then overbet a dry board. I'll fold here, as I can beat a bluff, and he may slow that down, but if he has a bigger ace or top set, I am goig to pay him off.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. You'd have to hope a. he has AT-AQ and b. will lay it down. Although A is possible, I feel that if he reraises so small then overbets, he's not folding. Thus, a raise has little value in either bluffing or value. So, calling wins more if you plan to continue the hand.

arod15 12-15-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on arod, think about it for a minute... the reason not to push is a pretty general concept.

All a push does is fold out hands you beat and get you called by hands when your beat. If you think you are ahead you want to call and induce another bluff by villan trying to push out an A with his KK. If you call this flop bet you are going with a read that you are ahead and trying to maximize value out of this hand.

Pushing is just scared poker because you don't want to make anymore difficult decisions on later streets, however all it reall does is ensure you either lose the most or win the least.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushing crossed my mind as does everything. But that wasnt my question. I folded. My question is why call and build a pot. Folding I thought was standard....

arod15 12-15-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I feel that if you plan to continue the hand I'd rather let him bet then bet myself. As to what I would do? Well, lack of a read, he minreraised then overbet a dry board. I'll fold here, as I can beat a bluff, and he may slow that down, but if he has a bigger ace or top set, I am goig to pay him off.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. You'd have to hope a. he has AT-AQ and b. will lay it down. Although A is possible, I feel that if he reraises so small then overbets, he's not folding. Thus, a raise has little value in either bluffing or value. So, calling wins more if you plan to continue the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the clarification.....