Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Explain this about the random number generators (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398867)

Photoc 12-15-2005 05:59 PM

Re: Explain this about the random number generators

You didn't fix $hit. Thats my post from another thread, lol.

icepick 12-15-2005 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL..

Random number generator.
You guys are funny.
Like anything online is random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite popular belief, it is possible to create true random numbers with a computer, provided you have a good enough seed. Like a radioactive source, or a lava lamp, or atmospheric noise from a radio.

It's not simple by any means, but certainly not impossbile.

UATrewqaz 12-15-2005 06:11 PM

Depends on the algorithm.

I'm not sure what Party does, but I know some sites practice constant shuffling while others randomly determine the order of the entire deck initially before the hand starts and then that deck is used for that hand.

Rudbaeck 12-15-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't this the way it should be????(preshuffled) since that would most mimic a B&M room. The dealer isn't constantley shuffling the cards throughout the hand. However, The constant shuffle premise actually makes the hand "more" random then the B&M preshuffle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It already is many orders of magnitude more random than what any human dealer can accomplish before the heat death of the universe either way. But both continuous shuffle a pregen decks are equally random.

The downside to shuffling the deck once and keeping it for the hand is that it encourages hacking. As far as I can tell there is very little extra computation required to get a new shuffle for each card, so the sites should go with the slightly better alternative. If nothing else it soothes the nerves of paranoids.

Rudbaeck 12-15-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah . . . I'm still wondering why one is better than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're exactly as random. The only difference is the pregenerated deck is susceptible to hacking. And hacking isn't a question of 'if' but 'when'. (Unlike say bots destroying all online poker, which is still a bit of a question of if.)

12-15-2005 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're exactly as random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I really wanted to hear the "more random" argument though; just as it's useful to hear people rationalize why you shouldn't raise Big Slick.

UATrewqaz 12-15-2005 06:45 PM

Randomness has a strict mathematical definition.

If two things are truly random, neither can be more random that the other.

You can however compare two "not truely" random things and measure which one comes closest to achieving full randomness.

memphis57 12-15-2005 08:05 PM

Given the high prevalence of bad beats and the fact that bad beats can hit anyone, I prefer the name "random bummer generator".

LoveDub 12-19-2005 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It changes from poker room to poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the card is unknown until the software requests a card, only then is the number generator called for the next card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true for all poker rooms, as was stated.

Pinky 12-19-2005 05:20 AM

Seemingly, having a good attitude is important per the Global Consciousness Project at Princeton. Human minds might have an effect on RNGs.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/display/?id=126649..121

"Again and again, entirely ordinary people proved that their minds could influence the machine and produce significant fluctuations on the graph, 'forcing it' to produce unequal numbers of 'heads' or 'tails'. "