Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My SNG Woes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=301613)

Maulik 07-27-2005 08:12 AM

My SNG Woes

After playing a handful of SNGs last night I'm beginning to find the area I need most improvement in my play. I'm having trouble managing an 8-12bb stack 5-6 handed. For those of you who have overcome this struggle, would you be willing to share HHs where these conditions are met?

durron597 07-27-2005 08:17 AM

Re: My SNG Woes

Don't have time to find HHs now but after reading all the advice on this forum I definitely ended up being too aggressive in this period. Once I tightened up in this area (just a tiny little bit) my results skyrocketed.

ChrisV 07-27-2005 08:48 AM

The answer to your problem is this: fold.

You basically shouldn't be playing a hand unless you're willing to commit with the hand. Solidity is the key, wait for the game state to change and then respond to that.

vabogee 07-27-2005 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Solidity is the key, wait for the game state to change and then respond to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Raiser 07-27-2005 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You basically shouldn't be playing a hand unless you're willing to commit with the hand. Solidity is the key, wait for the game state to change and then respond to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So for example, fold your 55 on the button (when folded to)?

I have been folding in spots like these because this isn't a hand that I want to commit to.

Is this going too far?

fnord_too 07-27-2005 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's it in a nut shell.

fnord_too 07-27-2005 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So for example, fold your 55 on the button (when folded to)?

I have been folding is spots like these because this isn't a hand that I want to commit to.

Is this going too far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold or push depending on the blinds, the players left, and the stacks around the table. Folding there is often fine, and rarely a mistake of consequence IMO.

Nicholasp27 07-27-2005 09:39 AM

well if u have 8-10bbs, then u either push or fold, cause any decent raise is too big of ur stack

don't call raises except with very premium hands...try to enter pots first when the big stack(s) have already folded and stacks near your size (within 2-3bbs or so) are on the bb...especially helps when there is a 4bb stack left with 4 left...like if the stacks are 4000(folded)/800(folded)/1600(you)/1600(bb) with 100/200 blinds, then you can push more hands than usual here and get 300 blinds, which is another 20% of your stack...the bb wants the 800 gone and won't want a coin flip

ChrisV 07-27-2005 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Solidity is the key, wait for the game state to change and then respond to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that was a bit unclear. What I meant is that pretty soon you'll either nail someone for a double-up, or you'll get blinded or blinds will increase so that your stack isn't 8-12 BB anymore. Medium-short stack play is lots of folding followed by lots of moving allin.

GtrHtr 07-27-2005 10:19 AM

This is likely the result of the added level 5. I have taken my foot off the gas a little and tightened up some at this stage - looking for spots to double up vs an all in fest. Play your stack as it relates to the other players and wait for a spot to double up and some overly aggressive mistakes by the other players.