Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   To shoot or not to shoot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397799)

mrkilla 12-13-2005 07:06 PM

To shoot or not to shoot

This is inspired from the Tookie Execution and really all the pro Lifers.

So heres the question

A man has broken in your house and a fight ensue's , as he makes his way out of your bedroom he fires a few shots, one hits and kills your wife/GF the other hits you in the side/stomach, he drops his gun, you grab it and chase him down the stairs and are now face to face with a stone cold killer, he's already shot at you and hit you in the stomach, you have a chance to live but probably won't. He starts heading out the door, but you are clear headed enough to take a shot at him what do you do...

daryn 12-13-2005 07:07 PM

Re: To shoot or not to Shoot

this one is easy, no?

deacsoft 12-13-2005 07:07 PM

I shoot once for every bullet left in the gun. And I hope I have time to pee on him before I die or the authorities arrive.

mrkilla 12-13-2005 07:08 PM

you would think , but there are people who say tookie should live if he shot your mom...

HtotheNootch 12-13-2005 07:08 PM

Where's the option for one in the kneecap, and another in the groin?

TheMainEvent 12-13-2005 07:09 PM

1. This sounds like politics to me

2. You just saw your wife get shot, and you're bleeding to death. I don't think you're in an emotional state where you can/will evaluate the moral consequences of your actions. The people who decide death penalty cases are, however. Poor comparison.

MonkeeMan 12-13-2005 07:09 PM

Re: To shoot or not to shoot

I thought this was gonna be a forgot your condom poll.

12-13-2005 07:10 PM

Is there a question here?

Die MF die

daryn 12-13-2005 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. This sounds like politics to me

2. You just saw your wife get shot, and you're bleeding to death. I don't think you're in an emotional state where you can/will evaluate the moral consequences of your actions. The people who decide death penalty cases are, however. Poor comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

i say shoot, and i am against the death penalty!

mrkilla 12-13-2005 07:11 PM

The point is more or less that, in an emotional state of shock do your morals go out the window, I think the answer is yes.

Would the pro-lifer shoot this guy now, he doesnt beleive in murder but does he shoot this guy? I am curious...

astroglide 12-13-2005 07:12 PM

polltard.

mrkilla 12-13-2005 07:13 PM

PS Of course its politics...

But the moral high ground has just gone out the window, you will now burn in hell for shooting a man...

Now say he is caught but your dead, do you want him fried?

man 12-13-2005 07:14 PM

holy crap, no one's voted for the other three* yet?

I'm pro-life and against the death penalty. but letting him live is like an assault on society. I can't see any ethical argument for letting him live. it's possible that he'll repent/reform himself and start to contribute to society, but chances are he will continue to damage it. you have a responsibility to try to kill him.

this is my one-sided analysis of the choice, and I think it's more complicated than this, but I'd like to see what others think.

jba 12-13-2005 07:14 PM

Ezekiel 25:17 [censored]

TheMainEvent 12-13-2005 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But the moral high ground has just gone out the window, you will now burn in hell for shooting a man...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and it's clearly hypocritical for anyone who is against the death penalty to say yes to this

daryn 12-13-2005 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i told you i am against death penalty

what if i don't believe in hell?

you are a bad poster

man 12-13-2005 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and it's clearly hypocritical for anyone who is against the death penalty to say yes to this

[/ QUOTE ]
false. the justice system is flawed.

edit: to clarify, it is easy for the justice system to incriminate someone who is innocent. see the Randall Dale Adams case: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/dept...ns/RDAdams.htm

daryn 12-13-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he meant to say yes to this:

slickpoppa 12-13-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you would think , but there are people who say tookie should live if he shot your mom...

[/ QUOTE ]

If your example is supposed to make people question their opposition to the death penalty, it is a very poor one. In your hypothetical I saw the person kill my wife so there is no doubt that he did it. But one of the main reasons that many people are opposed to the death penalty is that courts can never reach that level of certainty in determining whether someone actually did commit the crime that they were convicted of. DNA testing has shown after the fact that many innocent people have been executed. Another problem with your hypothetical is that the criminal in question is about to escape. In comparison, we have the ability to keep people in prison for life with almost no possibility of them escaping.

man 12-13-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he meant to say yes to this:

[/ QUOTE ]
my bad, thanks for clarifying.

12-13-2005 07:19 PM

Empty the gun's bullets into his back. If you're going to shoot at all, shoot to kill.

ScottieK

Klepton 12-13-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
polltard.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you mean *?

evil_twin 12-13-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i say shoot, and i am against the death penalty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plus this does seem rather politicy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

mrkilla 12-13-2005 07:22 PM

yes he did and I got one TY

I guess I post bad, sorry all , Just wack the Poll , I think the only person getting shot around here is me

SackUp 12-13-2005 07:22 PM

Wow I'm kinda shocked I'm one of only two people that would not shoot the dude. I have no interest in shooting anyone, period.

I don't like the death penalty and I don't think I would shoot anyone unless needed for self defense, which this no longer is.

LeatherFace 12-13-2005 07:26 PM

I can't believe no one voted for the fourth option! What is the world coming to?

Huskiez 12-13-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I'm kinda shocked I'm one of only two people that would not shoot the dude. I have no interest in shooting anyone, period.

I don't like the death penalty and I don't think I would shoot anyone unless needed for self defense, which this no longer is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I was the other. It is hard to say though at the heat of the moment whether I would shoot. But I share the same sentiments that you do.

eviljeff 12-13-2005 08:00 PM

I try to make a witty comment as he's leaving, but it ends up being awkward.

me: "get off of my plane!"
him: "huh?"
me: "oh I just watched Air Force One"
him: "YSSCKY"

MtDon 12-13-2005 08:07 PM

I also voted not to shoot.

1. Because I don't want to kill anyone.

2. If I shoot and miss, I figure I have even less chance of surviving.