Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   PS27, heads up, postflop play with TPnK (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390489)

jb9 12-03-2005 11:47 AM

PS27, heads up, postflop play with TPnK

This was our first hand heads up. I had just eliminated the 3rd place player (and practically doubled my stack).

My opponent has been chip leader for a while and has been doing a good job of stealing blinds and bullying people. I had been short stacked for a while and was either pushing preflop or folding for the last few levels.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t8775)
Hero (t4725)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1225) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t1225) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

River: (t2825) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3100 (All-In)</font>, Button ...

Any thoughts? If you are Button, what do you need to call me? Will you fold a better hand than TPnK?

bluefeet 12-03-2005 11:56 AM

Re: PS27, heads up, postflop play with TPnK

I'd push back PF for starters.

I don't mind looking to c-r flop. Seeing he didn't bite, you need to lead on the turn. With your passiveness PF, your check on the flop, you WILL get called by many non-Ace hands on your turn lead. Given you didn't, you need to raise this turn...pushing the river with a call. Just generally too passive with your stack/these blinds.

12-03-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t8775)
Hero (t4725)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's sort of strange pre-flop action, isn't it? A min-raise and no push with A3s?

I suspect villain made a stab at the pot when you checked twice, but will give up pretty easily to the all-in on the river. I don't really think he has an ace, at least not a mediocre one, if he has previously been aggressive about stealing blinds -- maybe he min-raised with a big ace? If he did, he ain't folding now. He'll probably fold other pairs, and he'll call, of course, with two pair. I don't think the river all-in does anything for you.

jb9 12-03-2005 02:15 PM

I definitely could have played this one better. Here was my thinking:

Preflop: I didn't reraise because of the 3. If I had fewer chips or that 3 was a 6 or his raise was bigger, I think I'd push, but I was willing to see a flop here.

Flop: I'm now hoping to get all in with this hand. I'm not worried about free cards. I'd like to get as many of my opponents chips as possible. I check planning to check/call and bet the turn.

Turn: His check behind on the flop made me think he is slow playing or scared. If he is slow playing, so be it. I check again in case he is scared. Once he bet, I think I should have min-raised. If he calls, I can go all in on the river. The call was a mistake.

River: I think my river bet is definitely bad. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but the only good thing that can happen is my opponent folds an ace or better, which I doubt he'll do. I might get called by a weaker hand, but I think check/calling again or betting 1/2 the pot would have been better.

P.S. I was planning to bet the flop unless an ace flopped.