Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   PokerAce Heads Up Display - Stats You Want to See (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=284594)

Jarekb 07-02-2005 10:48 PM

Re: PokerAce Heads Up Display - Stats You Want to See

All good points, things I'd like to see implemented. Thing is though probably a lot of 2+2's would find point 1 a bit much, to see how they bet with what cards. You would need a large number of hands on them before it would be useful though. Even if people protest this sort of thing, it's the next step for poker huds.

12AX7 07-03-2005 05:18 AM

Well, what I'm thinking is... one thing I'd mine hand histories for is the data I need to make a strategy chart of how a specific player is playing.

Poker Spy already sort of does this in real time with that 20 hand or so window it has.

I find the cards are mucked so fast I can't scribble them down fast enough. So it's ripe for automation.

But it is simply what I'd do by hand if I was fast enough.

I also agree, a statistically valid sample would be very large. But I'm thinking, maybe even just *this* session or the last few.

I was thinking of a grid of a starting hands by position or similar. Just like typical strategy cards.

That having been said. Seems to me that if this software isn't freely distributed, I still feel it's sort of an unfair edge and only a step or two removed from bots.

After all, once you define all the input variables that can be boiled down to make a decision support "dashboard"... the next step is to add lookup tables and decision trees,perhaps externalized to the user much like Wilson's Turbo Texas Hold'em and you've got a user customizable bot.

Wouldn't suprise me if Wilson already has one and simply isn't talking about it. After all, the have the table driven decision interface right? Graft that to the data collection of a tool like Poker Spy, Poker Indicator, Calculatem, etc... and you've got yer bot.

Guess it was optimistic of me to believe that someday I really could become an online pro. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

'course my bankroll is telling me it's a pipe dream anyway.

I've tinkered with poker on and off for a few years. To be honest I don't believe I've ever made back the investment in books, let alone approached a profit.

There was a short time where I was playing Stud in Vegas at 10/20 and under where I was significantly in the black. But it didn't last long.

The online thing seemed to be the answer to a prayer. "Could I do this without having to live in Vegas/LA?"

Guess the JoeAbrams of the world are determined to wreck that idea.

astarck 07-03-2005 12:10 PM

I'd like to see the option of making the display for mucked cards user controlled. For instance, have a box where the user can select 1-10 seconds (or something around that time) to display mucked cards. It obviously can't be too long as it would interfere with the next hand, but something a little slower, and user controlled, would be nice.

excession 07-03-2005 01:50 PM

OK Poker Ace - I had a good session with the new version today. Thanks for a great program btw.

I would suggest that (like GT+) when it provides a stat on the drop down menu like W$SD it doens't just give a % but also the actual number of occurences (ie. not just 25% but 25% (1/4)) - this is really important when deciding on the solidity of your reads - a guy who is 1/4 might just be unlucky, a guy who is 4/16 really is a showdown muppet). This would apply for all stats ideally, especially those like check/raise, fold to bets on various streets etc...

In an ideal world, PA (like GT+)would recongise your seat and display your own stats for that table without you having to place these separately somewhere else. Also you should be able to pick stats to show for yourself but not others (I wanted to show my own net $ win/lost, but prefer to see others' stats by way of BB/100).

Actually I'd like the old click and drag funtionality of GT+ (much faster to shift stuff around the screen during play so you can avoid stuff on screen like cards and money etc without having to guess during set-up)

Also I tried to use format to put a '%' after appropraite stats (makes it easier to differentiate PFR% from TPFAgg. for example) but you had picked '%' to mean something else - could you switch it so that I can show % after appropriate stats please.

I'm aware that this comes across as a bit whiny , which I apologise for - it is a great program and I will be sending you a tip in due course - but you did ask for comments [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS can you msg me with your Party account details so I can transfer funds a tip (I think that I can tranfer at Party but don't have paypal)

cheers#

PokerAce 07-03-2005 02:05 PM

excession, thanks for the message. I'm glad the new version is working well for you.

The idea of adding the actual numbers to the popup is a good one, I will be adding that feature, hopefully for the next release.

Having your own stats appear around your player box like everyone else's would cause your own hole cards to be obstructed. That's why they are done the way they are done. I'm going to be adding an option to allow you to have an individual stat show for you, but not your opponents.

Click and drag on the poker window isn't likely going to happen. It would require a redesign and rewrite of a significant portion of the application, and I'm not willing to do that at this point. Perhaps later down the road, but not anytime soon.

For formatting, I will add the ability to display percent signs. This will be done by a double percent sign. For example, using a format like this: %%% Will cause the stat to look like this "12.3%". Would that be sufficient?

Your post didn't sound whiny. I'm glad for the suggestions. That means people are using the program and want to see it improve. Thanks, and if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to post.

PokerAce 07-03-2005 02:10 PM

I wanted to post and make something clear. There's been a lot of worry about using these types of applications with Party and skins. One thing I want to make sure doesn't happen is to have PA Hud become one of the applications they don't like.

I'm going to avoid giving the user any information about the current hand, other than perhaps the past actions of the player (whether they checked, bet, raise, etc). Things like Pot Odds, I believe is going too far towards playing the hand for you. It's one thing to see your opponents statistics, it's another to know without doing any calculations if you're getting proper odds to call.

Just try to keep that in mind when you make suggestions. Thanks!

Jarekb 07-03-2005 02:23 PM

I think there's a minimum amount you can transfer with the party netowrk ($50 I belive), so while that would be a great tip I'm not sure you'd want to send so much.

astarck 07-03-2005 02:28 PM

You could always send X amount (say 75) and PokerAce could send 50 back, for a total of 25 dollars sent. Unless Party has a problem with that.

TheIrishThug 07-03-2005 07:35 PM

in the popup stats, next to the icon can it say the name that goes with the icon. no way i can remember what all 14 icons mean.

flair1239 07-03-2005 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've not used Poker Ace, but doesn't anyone want to see these things?

They are just basic, but seems like they are what you want for decision support.

1. A display that keeps track of each opponents opening and raising standards from each position and shows them to me in an "at a glance" format. (naturally it would have to be based on historical and recent play data.) Probably along with a "percentage of the time he does this" number for each data point.

2. Pot odds.

3. Odds of making hads with my holding + board

4. Hands my opponent can make from the board

5. What hands on the flop the opponent raises, calls, folds to a raise with, etc. Again, "at a glance" format.

So basically I'm thinking I want all the things I would be looking for if I was taking notes manually about opponents + playing time info to weight against the historical profile in order to make clear bet/call/fold/raise type decisions more accurately.

Nothin' real fancy or artificial intelligence like. Just good solid data that keeps me from making mistakes.

The bet history the poster above mentions would be good too.

Basically I want a HUD that boils everything down to free my on personal cycles up to make playing decisions.

To be honest I don't quite understand how folks are using data like "raises preflop 22% of the time" to make any kind or playing decisions other than "oh this guy is aggressive" etc. Probably just my lack of experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

No this would be too close to a Bot application.