Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why do you play MTT? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306299)

08-02-2005 08:22 PM

Why do you play MTT?

Just wondering what the reasoning behind playing these every night besides the cash games or Sit N Gos. Not a spam type question, just an inquisitive one from a guy that plays cash games and Sit N Gos up until now. I played a $1 buyin last Wednesday on Stars and placed 3rd out of 1886, it was my first MTT. I played tight and well and got some luck by winning 3 coinflips.

Now I'm nervous to do another at a larger buyin because of the law of averages. Not only will I be against better players at a 10 or 5 dollar buy in (I would think) but also placing back to back in the money against fields of 1500-2000 is ridiculously tough.

Just curious how much pressure you guys put on yourselves in these MTT and the reasoning behind them.

DeuceKicker 08-02-2005 08:28 PM

Re: Why do you play MTT?

I'm into S&M

yoadrians 08-02-2005 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm into S&M

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one.

I play, honestly, because I'm very competitive and I like to see how I do against large fields.

I mostly play $11s or $22s SNGs on Party and Stars, but MTTs are a good way to break up a night. I also enjoy them because you can keep tabs on how your friends/fellow trouts are doing in the same event.

Mostly, they're fun.

08-02-2005 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm into S&M

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one.

I play, honestly, because I'm very competitive and I like to see how I do against large fields.

I mostly play $11s or $22s SNGs on Party and Stars, but MTTs are a good way to break up a night. I also enjoy them because you can keep tabs on how your friends/fellow trouts are doing in the same event.

Mostly, they're fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is patience a key virtue with them? That you should give yourself at least 5-7 to cash in a large event, or is that too much?

I mean 10 missed cashes and a top 3 will erase the 10 missed cashes.

Benal 08-02-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only will I be against better players at a 10 or 5 dollar buy in

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Are you being serious? LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

08-02-2005 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Are you being serious? LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm serious, aren't I? Better players play $10 buyin tourneys than $1, don't they?

yoadrians 08-02-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm serious, aren't I? Better players play $10 buyin tourneys than $1, don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, honestly.

I don't see a difference in skill until I reach the $50 MTT. Otherwise, the $5s, $10s and $20s play very, very similar.

gobboboy 08-02-2005 09:07 PM

I play in them because it's a good way to relax if you feel like playing for a while. You have to play real tight early on and then get slowly more aggressive. If you've had a bad day and you feel like you could tolerate losing a coin flips, try a MTT and if you win a few you can cash. I did one a few days ago for $20 and cashed in for $3500, and it's helped my attitude. Obviously you can't EXPECT to do that, but sometimes it's fun.

JJJ88 08-02-2005 09:15 PM

I play MTT for fun.
Poker is my hobby.
You pay a $20 buy in and you can have several hours fun.

When you win a MTT, you feel really thrilled.
I don't feel much when I win a large pot in a ring game.
You can win many large pots in ring games.
But you cannot win many MTTs.

kasey2004 08-02-2005 09:22 PM

FUN... and the chance to turn a 100+% profit on your buy in

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]