Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   conspicuous post-hand hole card glance (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385715)

11-26-2005 06:00 PM

conspicuous post-hand hole card glance

So I watch a lot of poker on TV, and many times I have seen a person take down a pot without a showdown and, after winning the pot and his opponent mucking his cards, he will conspicuously look back at his hole cards. What is the purpose of this?

Best,

Tex

jba 11-26-2005 06:27 PM

Re: conspicuous post-hand hole card glance

[ QUOTE ]
So I watch a lot of poker on TV, and many times I have seen a person take down a pot without a showdown and, after winning the pot and his opponent mucking his cards, he will conspicuously look back at his hole cards. What is the purpose of this?

Best,

Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

i've wondered before if there is a producer somewhere who tells the players to lift their hand if the camera missed it the first time, a lot of times when I've seen this happen they seem to be lifting them so the camera can see.

henrikrh 11-26-2005 07:01 PM

Usually a bad player who was bluffing and had forgotten the excact cards he had, i guess.

11-26-2005 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually a bad player who was bluffing and had forgotten the excact cards he had, i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not it. The last time I saw it was WSOP 2005 when Harrington bluffed away a 55 w/ 8Ts on a third raise. I wouldn't call him a bad player [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

slipoker 11-26-2005 07:26 PM

It could be psychological, I've wondered it myself. Sometimes I'll do it just to act as though I wasn't sure if I had the cards myself. Then again I doubt anyone is going to think Phil Ivey forgot what his cards were....

11-26-2005 07:26 PM

I almost always see this when someone just successfully bluffed someone else. My guess would be that they are just very satisfied with themselves and look back at the cards to feel good about their bluff.

KneeCo 11-26-2005 08:44 PM

During the radio show from the WSOP FT, there was a hand when someone flashed their cards to the camera after winning the pot w/o showdown and Erik Lindgren said that means he was probably bluffing, and admitted that even he does it sometimes to ensure the camera sees that he won the pot with air.

TheMainEvent 11-26-2005 08:49 PM

There was a thread on here awhile ago about why Phil Ivey does this. Paul Phillips asked Phil about it and he said he was looking to see what the other one was.

11-26-2005 08:59 PM

Not everybody does it just when they successfully bluff; I've seen some people do it after every hand they play. Others do it when they have a monster; I've seen Ted Forrest check his cards when he had monster.

-Gross