Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Simple situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345899)

nrinker 09-28-2005 01:12 AM

Simple situation

100nl 6max. Folded to player in mp, this player has raised 22% of their hands, but I only have 40 hands with this person. No other read besides this.

I have a 170 stack to start the hand, and villain has me covered.

So the villain raises to 4 dollars. Folds to me, I have AK on the button. I reraise to 12. Folds to villain, villain reraises to 25.

What is your play?

Im only curious about what you do from this point.

09-28-2005 01:25 AM

Re: Simple situation

Call, take a flop.

PokerFink 09-28-2005 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call, take a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop is KJ4. Villian bets 2/3 pot. Now what do you do?

AK against a someone who has 3-bet you preflop is a yucky situation. Unless I have a reason to believe I'm up against something besides AA/KK, I'm folding preflop. There are just too many ways to lose all your chips on the flop.

09-28-2005 01:36 AM

Villain has a 22% pfr I think he was askin to see if he should try to take the lead here. Seems at least a call.

PokerFink 09-28-2005 01:39 AM

I don't think you get it. You have massive negative implied odds. It's not even worth seeing the flop because any flop that looks good to you is potentially going to be your grave.

If he has AA and you flop an ace, you're in a world of hurt.
If he has AA and you flop a king, you're in trouble.
If he has KK and you flop a king, you're in trouble.

On the flop side, if you outflop him you're probably not going to win all that much unless he marries his 2nd pair.

This is not a good situation.

09-28-2005 01:49 AM

Villain made it $13 more with a near $50 pot. I can't imagine laying it down here unless I specifically knew villain never 3-bet without a premo hand.

PokerFink 09-28-2005 01:51 AM

Quoting myself:

"Unless I have a reason to believe I'm up against something besides AA/KK, I'm folding preflop."

09-28-2005 01:56 AM

I'll quote the OP

[ QUOTE ]
this player has raised 22% of their hands

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PokerFink 09-28-2005 01:58 AM

I'm not trying to fight with you here. I'm hoping that everyone understands the concept of negative implied odds in this situation.

Situations with high negative implied odds and low positive implied odds, especially when there is a lot of money in preflop, are very very bad.

Edit: My post originally said "raise does not mean re-raise."

09-28-2005 02:00 AM

Your right it doesn't say anything about reraises here which is why I think taking a flop is the best play. Personally I couldn't lay down AK here when you seem to be getting good odds.