Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   KK slowplay. I'm going to raise it anyway. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402756)

BigEndian 12-21-2005 12:21 PM

KK slowplay. I\'m going to raise it anyway.

The BB is the general passive sort and calls down a lot. They're pretty tight but not tight enough by my book (22-23%-ish).

I have K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP2 at the PP15.
Lagtard raises in MP1, I don't get greedy and 3-bet. Button cold calls, BB cold calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, MP1 folds, I call, Button calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets. I raise...

- Jim

W. Deranged 12-21-2005 01:05 PM

Re: KK slowplay. I\'m going to raise it anyway.

I think if you are going to not raise the flop, I don't like raising the turn here.

This is very much wa/wb, just in a multiway pot. Button likely doesn't have that many outs against you anyway since there are no overcards. (He'll be getting a little under 10-1, so maybe slightly positive if he has exactly 5 outs but probably -EV if he has fewer). Raising is tough as it's never good to have to lay down to a lagtard. Raising may force him to fold a Q that he would bet the river with.

I'd like the raise more if I thought that either: a) you were ahead more often than I think you are; b) there's clear value in wanting to try to protect your hand here.

So I just like calling and getting to showdown at this point.

I also like raising the flop, FWIW. It seems there's a lot of value there, particularly as button seems totally willing to cold-call.

AceHigh 12-21-2005 01:33 PM

I don't get it, no worse hand will call and no better hand will fold.

imashyboi 12-21-2005 01:50 PM

Pre-Flop - standard, shouldn't complain if you just called call too.

Flop - I would raise here. MP1 betting out means he has something which hit the board. The pot is big enough that you want to protect it and eliminate the button who called call.

Turn - Since you declined to raise on the Flop I would just call down instead of raising it. Notice that if you raise only hands that has many draws or have you beat will call here. You don't want JJ/TT/99/88 to fold having 2 outs, you rather have them bluff all the way. You're not even sure if your KK is good because MP1 could have a set already. Anyone who flopped a pair will have outs to call and won't fold to a raise anyway.

BigEndian 12-21-2005 01:51 PM

Oh, I didn't say I played it well. I felt like I played it very badly actually.

- Jim

Entity 12-21-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no worse hand will call

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a huge exaggeration.

Rob

DMBFan23 12-21-2005 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, no worse hand will call and no better hand will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost any pair will call down in my experience, certainly any Q

AceHigh 12-21-2005 08:44 PM

I was trying to be a little poetic, ala Dickens "it was the best of times...it was the worst of times, etc.".

My point was better hands aren't folding and you may knock out a Qx or worse hand, if say the button calls or raises the BB might fold.