Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basic Stud 8 Question. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386195)

11-27-2005 03:39 PM

Basic Stud 8 Question.

In general, when you raise with a big split pair on 3rd street in Stud 8 and get reraised by a player whom you have no read on with an ace up, is this always an immediate fold? I can't really think of why you should call, but folding every single time seems horribly weak, and something that could easily be exploited by aggressive opponents.

I guess you could probably make an adjustment if someone was doing this consistently, but what adjustment do you think could be made? Reraise on 3rd, or just call the other guy down if he catches high cards?

greenage 11-27-2005 03:47 PM

Re: Basic Stud 8 Question.

I think Alchemist said he folds almost all of his split pairs (except Aces) and I'm startling to have an appreciation for this.

mscags 11-27-2005 04:04 PM

ALmost all split pairs should be folded anyway because you can get yourself into a lot of trouble with these hands. In general the only time that you should be raising with a big split pair is when you think you can steal the antes or get it heads up with someone (hopefully a high)

benwood 11-27-2005 08:41 PM

One option is to limp with the split pair & see what the A does.

Andy B 11-28-2005 12:41 AM

Yeah, this is a fold, but observant opponents will run you over if they see you do this a time or two. Really, if you have a split pair and there's an Ace behind you, you don't cost yourself much by mucking right away. Not that I do this, of course.

Chris Daddy Cool 11-28-2005 01:28 AM

i wouldn't even attempt to raise a split big pair if an ace is showing. its just going to cause you too much heartache.

fnord_too 11-28-2005 10:54 AM

Why are you raising a big split pair into the ace of a player you don't know? Don't do this. Once you know them, and the table, it may or may not be ok, but if it is ok it is usually only marginally so. Big pairs are big traps in stud 8, and you would not be giving up too much if you always mucked them. If you play them, you especially don't want to play against an ace, and you don't want to play against more than two opponents going low (really one, but two is marginal, three is just awful IMO).

Here's a secret, sometimes, even if you know there is a high probability that your opponent is being over aggressive, the correct play is still to fold. This comes up all the time in all games, and is one of the reasons aggresiveness and isolation plays are so powerful.

11-28-2005 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Alchemist said he folds almost all of his split pairs (except Aces) and I'm startling to have an appreciation for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.