Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Can you lay down KK pre-flop in NL cash game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357532)

10-14-2005 11:40 AM

Can you lay down KK pre-flop in NL cash game?

$3-5 blinds, I have about $650. UTG+1 look down to find K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pretty aggressive table, I limp. MP raises to $30, gets 2 callers (cutoff & button). Back to me. I make it $150 to go. Raiser (villain) goes all in for $507 total, folded back to me for $357 more to call.

I looked at villain who seemed comfortable. I asked him if he wants me to call, and he said let's gamble, sure. I told myself I was beat, let it go. But decided the $357 lesson was worth it and called. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] later, I'm out $507 total.

Can you get away in a cash game from K-K? Thoughts appreciated.

4_2_it 10-14-2005 11:45 AM

Re: Can you lay down KK pre-flop in NL cash game?

Pre-flop, they will have to pry KK from my cold dead fingers before I fold it. Next time don't limp, call the re-raise and reevaluate after the flop. I don't like pushing all-in unnecessarily, but in your case I'm out as well. Ten-handed it is 20-1 against villain having AA so without a Hellmuthian read, you have to call.

JFB37 10-14-2005 11:54 AM

I'm not a fan of the limp re-raise. It defines your hand way too much.

jba 10-14-2005 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$3-5 blinds, I have about $650.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

lighterjobs 10-14-2005 12:22 PM

limp raising KK is the worst move in poker.

you deserved to go broke.

bernie 10-14-2005 12:23 PM

He would only play this way with AA?

Give yourself TT(or lower), how is your read now? Still AA? Or just a big pocket pair?

b

canis582 10-14-2005 12:26 PM

If you have two of the kings then its either AA AK or QQ. QQ is not strong enough to reraise a limp reraiser and most smart players want to see a flop before they commit their stack with AK.

That being said, I hope that I am never in the position you were in. My emotions and thought processes are slightly different when hundreds of dollars are at stake.

I also want to say that I dissagree about not limp raising KK, depending on the table, it can be the best way to get action...there are no absoultes in poker.

Rduke55 10-14-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty aggressive table

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this suggests that they'll do this with other than AA?

bernie 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also want to say that I dissagree about not limp raising KK, depending on the table, it can be the best way to get action...there are no absoultes in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yarney 10-14-2005 01:26 PM

Here is a little insite into my evolution as a poker player.

I started off by saying "Theres no way I'll fold Kings preflop. If he has Aces, I guess I'll just lose the hand."

I then progressed to saying "I am good enough to fold Kings pre-flop," although I was not actually good enough to lay down Kings pre-flop.

However, $500 and two "I'm 98% sure he has Aces" hands later, I am now willing to lay down Kings pre-flop. Granted it is a very very rare circumstance, but I am now able to do it.

-Yarney