Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   A stranger bought me lunch today (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404359)

Bigdaddydvo 12-23-2005 11:29 PM

A stranger bought me lunch today

This has never happened to me before. Today the wife, the boy and I were out running some errands. We stopped by Applebee's for lunch (got the Jalapino Jack Chicken sandwich...delicious). As we finished up, I asked for the check. The server went to get it, and when she returned said "I've been told to tell you that your bill is taken care of." After taking 20 seconds to comprehend what happened, and confirming the information she just conveyed, I told the server to offer thanks and a Merry Christmas to my anonymous benefactor.

I can only speculate why. Military guy w/young boy and expectant wife around Christmas? Probably. Though it was very nice and I greatly appreciated the gesture, I'm a CPT who makes pretty decent coin. It could probably have been better spent on someone else (namely a junior enlisted type for whom a trip to Applebees is a big deal). Only course of action I can think of is to remain grateful and to return the favor to someone else next time I'm out. In any event it was nice to see the Christmas spirit alive and well.

shant 12-23-2005 11:35 PM

Re: A stranger bought me lunch today

What a cute post.

Duke 12-24-2005 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only course of action I can think of is to remain grateful and to return the favor to someone else next time I'm out. In any event it was nice to see the Christmas spirit alive and well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point was that you're doing something that people appreciate already, so there is no necessary course of action.

~D

sublime 12-24-2005 12:24 AM

i take it you had a uniform on. where can i get one? i have quite the appetite.

Slow Play Ray 12-24-2005 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

free uniforms here

Bigdaddydvo 12-24-2005 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no, just my Wayne Gretzky "Superfan #99" jersey. The short haircut is a dead giveaway though.

12-24-2005 12:45 AM

Do Female Pilots have to shave their heads too?

gmrankin 12-24-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
namely a junior enlisted type for whom a trip to Applebees is a big deal

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jerkoff when did going to applebees become a big deal for enlisted. Your a Capt? What rock have you been hiding under... You way out of touch man. We are not talking about $100.00 plates here. Its applebees its not that big of a deal.

istewart 12-24-2005 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can only speculate why. Military guy w/young boy going to Applebee's to stuff the face of his expectant wife around Christmas? Probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Bigdaddydvo 12-24-2005 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
namely a junior enlisted type for whom a trip to Applebees is a big deal

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jerkoff when did going to applebees become a big deal for enlisted. Your a Capt? What rock have you been hiding under... You way out of touch man. We are not talking about $100.00 plates here. Its applebees its not that big of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm a lot more in touch than you know. For a single PFC who lives in the barracks and next to no living expenses, you're right Applebees isn't a big deal. For an E4-E5 with a stay at home mom raising 5 kids at home (and I have quite a few) IT'S HUGE. If you had my perspective of working to get food vouchers and/or toys for these families to help them out for Christmas, then you might understand. My point is that while I'm grateful and humbled at the stranger's generousity, he/she could have picked a more deserving target.

Oh Yeah, Merry Christmas.