Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   affordable SF area dining (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351259)

M2d 10-05-2005 07:28 PM

affordable SF area dining

so as to not hijack the other SF dining thread too much, what you guys got? this subject may be too lowbrow for ElD, JAS, Haakee and the others who seem to only eat freshly cured bacon off of the bellies of virgins, but some of us like good old rib sticking food.

I contribute:
M's Cafe on 9th and Irving in SF for the cheapest, biggest, best (corned beef hash that's fried thin so more surface area is crunchy) breakfast you can get for pocket change
Le Metro Cafe on Divisadero for rock bottom pricing on good french food (not the heavy sauce type, but actual food). we called in one day to see what the specials were and were told that the chef wasn't back from the market, so they didn't know yet. that pretty much sold us on the quality/freshness.
Millbrae Pancake House on El Camino in Millbrae for anything (but breakfasts are killer!!).

sam h 10-05-2005 07:32 PM

Re: affordable SF area dining

Charanga on Mission btw 19th and 20th for great Caribbean accented tapas and a laid-back atmosphere.

Can anybody recommend a good Korean BBQ joint?

10-05-2005 07:33 PM

The Garden City in San Jose has poker and a pretty good dinner house.

polltard

haakee 10-06-2005 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Millbrae Pancake House on El Camino in Millbrae

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not I have been there. Not bad... but there are better breakfast places.

Ulysses 10-06-2005 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anybody recommend a good Korean BBQ joint?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother's BBQ is the standard answer, and it's quite good. I, however, prefer King Charcoal. All the good Korean BBQ joints in SF are pretty much in the same place on Geary in the Avenues.

Ulysses 10-06-2005 06:10 AM

FU.

Tommy's Joynt - American/Irish. BBQ brisket sandwich or plate is the best. Many other standard meat and potatoes type dishes. Great corned beef & cabbage.

Verona - Cheap Greek place, awesome.

Primo Patio - awesome cheap Carribean food. Everything is great. Bouli-bouli (sp) is great too, some kind of beer/lime juice concoction.

Brother-in-Law's BBQ/Big Nate's BBQ - best BBQ/best ribs, respectively (in SF).

The Java House (Pier 40) - (not to be confused with Red's Java Hut down the street) - great pancakes, eggs, and other breakfast fare, also good burgers and dogs.

Saigon Sandwiches - for $2 to $2.50, AWESOME vietnamese sandwiches. Probably my favorite lunch in SF.

jen 10-06-2005 11:35 AM

R&G Lounge on the Financial District/Chinatown border. It's a Chinese restaurant (the name is misleading, I know) whose specialty is salt & pepper crab.

M2d 10-06-2005 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FU.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

sfer 10-06-2005 12:02 PM

Generally, I think the dozens of good pho joints are the best consistent bargain in SF.

haakee 10-06-2005 01:15 PM

South Bay pho better than SF pho from my experience. Tu Lan @ 6th and Market is quite a bargain though, with better than avg pho for SF.