Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Any reasons not to get this computer? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405961)

whitelime 12-27-2005 05:09 PM

Re: Any reasons not to get this computer?

I would get a barebones system from DELL. Do not buy any accessories or upgrade anything. Throw out the crappy video card and 256MB RAM chip and buy those seperate from newegg.

12-27-2005 05:12 PM

oh ok, so not the chipset. I dunno man, 3 things here:

1) I really REALLy doubt you could build a comparable computer for the same price. Maybe though, but especially at levels below that, you simply could not do it cheaper by yourself than walking into a store and buying one already made.

2) Let's face it, for real world computing, the type of person that would purchase a computer at best buy would most likely never notice any shortcomings in the motherboard. I say "most likely", but I feel this is a fair assessment having built numberous computers and worked at a computer retailer.

3) Building your own computer is not for everyone. Especially if you haven't done it before. If you can't definitively say WHY you are building your own computer, I really don't see the point. I built mine, but only because I wanted an uber leet machine for gaming.

mrkilla 12-27-2005 05:18 PM

Well he asked why I wouldnt like it I tell him why, no matter if he cares or not, if it will make a diff to his purchase or not or his computing experience. its all IMHO anyway.

But as far as the Manfuatures go I am no Gateway or Dell fan.

I mean a Chevy Cobalt is a nice car...for the price

In anycase you stated to reformat your PC when you get it, this controdicts your above statement, meaning you have identified him as the average home user where the chipset/Geek [censored] doesnt matter, there for I wouldn't expect him to be reformatting a machine, thus the OS Builds/Standards are important. As well as the installed applications.

In the Context of dirtys question, it matters.

12-27-2005 05:21 PM

I would recommend everyone in the world to reformat their computer when they buy it, especially with how easy manufacturers make it. You'll see an immediate performance gain.

12-27-2005 05:24 PM

and another thing, since we have obviously thrown out standardized computer terms in this thread, could you explain what you mean by "OS build"? You mean Media Center?

mmbt0ne 12-27-2005 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if someone points you to Dell or this, get this, Dell is far worse, any one whos done IT longer then a day will tell you that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this through will realize 90+% of the time this is because the people using those Dells are idiots. You could put them behind any homemade machine, and the same things would happen.

mrkilla 12-27-2005 05:27 PM

OS Build - Yes the way they install and Configure Media center, and the fact that it is installed for starters. Its also a falvored Media Center, , Gateway Centric.
Yes all this can be configured and tweaked, but the average user doesnt want to do that. Also there "out of box" installs are notriously bad and wind up crashing.

DrNo888 12-27-2005 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend everyone in the world to reformat their computer when they buy it, especially with how easy manufacturers make it. You'll see an immediate performance gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I got the Dell 9100 (3.0GHz w/ 1G RAM)and have been using as it came. It is kinda slow compared to my old PC which was an AMD 1700+ with 512Mb RAM. So you are saying that if I reformat, then it should run faster?

What about all the software (XP,resource disc,etc)?
I got some disc, but wouldnt reinstalling those software be the same as when it arrived?

I need some schooling on this computer stuff.

Blarg 12-27-2005 05:33 PM

One reason for a gamer not getting a prebuilt machine from a maker like Dell is so he can put in a power supply adequate to handle the load that having two SLI video cards demands. Power supplies are notoriously underpowered on most major brands, and they aren't the kind of thing most people feel comfortable about replacing. They also come in varying sizes, and makers like Dell have been known to have non-standard cases, so an upgraded power supply might not even fit in your case.

Since being able to have two SLI video cards will substantially prolong the power of a machine for a gamer, I wouldn't get any system now that didn't have SLI capability, even if I just got one video card to start with. And that means you're going to need a really beefy power supply. Ones that are 500 or 600 watts are common, and I've seen 500 watts being described as bottom end in terms of the power you might want or need.

12-27-2005 05:34 PM

Well, sometimes Dell includes the XP disc and sometimes they allow you to do a factory restore which would put all the crap back on. If you have an actual Windows XP disc, then yes, you will absolutely see a performance increase with reformatting. If not, you have some other options. I'm not sure on the legality, but I believe that by owning XP you own the license to the software, meaning you can install it from another disc and be perfectly legal. If this is true ( I think it is ), you can download XP or borrow it from a friend. Look into it though, piracy is EEE-LEEEGAL.