Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   WSOP ME Report (long) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=297280)

colson10 07-21-2005 02:09 AM

WSOP ME Report (long)

I wrote this mainly for myself, but figured some of you might be interested.

Day 1.

Sit down seven handed to start. Mike Caro shows up late.

I open with black KK on the button for 150, unknown BB defends (another late arriver). Flop is J86 two clubs. BB checks, I bet 200, he check raises to 450, I call. Turn is 6o, BB checks, I bet 700, he c/r’s again to 1600, I call. River is J, he leads for 2100, I call. He doesn’t show. I’m up to 13.5K.

I open complete 83c in the SB (blinds 50-100), BB checks. Flop is A82 two clubs. I bet 100, BB calls. Turn is 7s, putting two spades and two clubs on board. I bet 200, BB makes it 700, I call. River is a red J, I check and call 700 after a reasonably long deliberation. He has A7. guy asks to see my hand.

I make it 300 in EP with 86c, guy behind me calls. Flop is 763 two spades one heart. I bet 400, he calls. Turn is 8h, I bet 1000, he calls. River is 2h, I bet 1000, he makes it 3000, I call. He has J6h and asks to see my hand.

Things aren’t going too well. I’ve been repopped a couple times preflop, and I lost a coinflip to a shortstack. I’m down to 3800 or so with blinds at 100-200. I open 22 in CO for 600, button makes it 1500, blinds fold back to me. I’ve seen this guy reraise with AK, AQ, and he has reraised my LP opens before, so I decide to call and push any flop. Flop is 842. Okay, so maybe I’m not pushing any flop. I check, he puts me all in with 66, and I double up.

I’m back to a comfortable stack, but I try to open again and get reraised. I decide to tighten up and just try to make some hands. I wouldn’t say my table was that tough, but it was generally pretty aggressive. The real donks weren’t the fun kind of donks who just roll over and give you their chips.

I limp utg with 88 for 200, another limper, and LP makes it 800, both of us call. Flop is 876 two hearts. Checks to preflop raiser, who pushes for 7000, I call all in for something between 5-6K, other limper folds, and I crack AA.

I limp 44 in EP, MP makes it 800, with 4500 behind, I call HU. Flop is T94, and for the third time I flop a set and get to check call an all in bet. AA no good. I’m somewhere around 20K.

I’m down to 17K or so after a couple things don’t go right. UTG makes it 1200 (blinds 200-400), I make it 3500 with AKo utg+1, folds to girl in MP who doesn’t even think about it before calling. She’s new to the table, about an orbit or two, don’t know anything about her, but she has a healthy stack. Utg folds, HU. Flop is 996, I bet 5000, she raises to 11000, and I of course fold. I was really unhappy about betting this flop after she raised, but I thought AK was a VERY likely hand for her after her quick call of a big raise.

I get moved right after this hand. I was really happy to get moved. Like I said before, I didn’t think this was that tough of a table, but for some reason I just couldn’t get into rhythm. Besides flopping all those sets, hardly anything was going right for me.

I get moved to Arieh’s table. I like the change of scenery, but I’m not happy to see Arieh. In the smaller buyin events leading up to this I was excited to play with some of the big names. I was over that now, and I just wanted to see clueless guys in internet attire. Arieh was not a threat for long. He called a young kid’s EP raise HU (blinds 200-400). Flop Q32r, kid bets 1500, Arieh calls. Turn is 6o, kid bets 5000, Arieh calls. River is 9, kid bets 7000, and after a long deliberation Arieh calls, leaving himself with about 3K. Kid shows KQo, Arieh mucks. He said in his journal that he blew off most of his chips with Q7d, so I’m sure that’s what he had.

It seemed like a really straight forward table, which I liked, except that I didn’t have enough chips to really take advantage of it. Straight forward in that preflop raisers were often not betting the flop with unimproved big cards.

Active EP opens for 1100, I call in MP with 55. flop is 986. He bets 1500, I call. Turn is T, he checks, I bet 3500, leaving myself with about 8K. He contemplates for a long time before calling. River is Q and he pushes, I fold.

I have just under 8K when same EP opens and one right behind him calls. I push with 88. EP calls and cold caller folds what he says was AK (pretty sure he wasn’t lying), EP had AK too, and I win the flip.

Now I’m feeling pretty good. We hit a new blind level, but it goes to 250-500, a level I wasn’t expecting, so I’m very happy about it.

Tight EP (but has just opened a couple pots in the past few hands) opens to 1600, I call in MP with JJ. I have about 16.5K after calling his raise. It folds around to BB who quickly pushes all in for just over what I have. BB is on tilt IMO. He recently reraised an EP raiser and then folded QQ face up to his all in. He was clearly not happy about it. EP seems to like his hand. Folding didn’t look like an option to him. He immediately wanted to know how much more it was (about 18K), he then took a second before throwing in four 5K chips for a call (he had us both well covered). I was almost positive I had BB beat. I really felt like he had TT. His speed was too quick for it to be a bigger pair. I was almost positive it was TT or AK. I would have called him, but EP presents the trouble. This was the same guy who supposedly folded AK when I squeezed with 88. He seems tight, and he seems solid (I later found out it was Randy Holland, who has a fairly impressive resume). I really wanted to believe he had AK, and BB had TT, cuz you know how good I am at coinflips. But the way he called made it feel like he didn’t mind if I played too. Although the BB’s push had me covered, it seemed like EP would want to “repush” with AK if he was going to play it. This didn’t seem like his intent. I decided to fold, and was relieved to see EP’s AA. BB had 99. The flop came 652 with a flush draw, and I realize how lucky I was. I’m almost positive I wasn’t getting away from that flop if EP and I took it HU.

CO (previous active EP, who seems to have tightened up, or maybe he was always tight) opens to 1700 (blinds 300-600), button (Holland) calls, SB folds. I have JJ in the BB with about 16K more. I decide to push. I thought the CO could have any two, and the button probably had some middle pair. I pushed hoping that he thought I was squeezing them again with something marginal and maybe I could get a call out of TT or 99. It also gets most overcard hands to fold without taking the risk of one of them calling with AQ or something like that and then having to play out of position. CO quickly folded, now the button went into the tank. He counted out the raise and said something about how I had 88 the other hand. At this point I really wanted him to call. It seemed like 99 or TT was such a good possibility. He ended up folding. This was very close to the end of the day and I asked him about it once we were done for the day (we would be redrawing for new tables the next day). He said he had AQ.

Day 2

After two days off (I played day 1a) I’m feeling a little nervous. I really just want a soft table. I started the day with 28K, going to 2hour levels, we still had an hour and a half of the 300-600 level.

I didn’t recognize anyone at my table to start, which was great. I had nightmares of sitting down to Layne Flack on my left with his big stack. My table turned out to be fantastic: tight and predictable.

I was opening a lot of pots and either stealing the blinds or taking it down with a continuation bet. I was rarely getting reraised. There was a kid with a lot of chips two to my right. He was a pokerstars guy, and would take forever on every decision. It would fold to him, he’d take his card protector off his cards, look in front and behind him, then peer down as he squeezed his cards. Then he’d put his card protector back on, look around, take it off and muck his cards. I mean, holy frickin christ, just PLAY.

He was fairly active, and I was initially careful to get involved with him since he had a big stack and seemed pretty reckless. He then opened in MP. He would always say raise when he intended on doing so. This time he could hardly get the words out of his mouth. It was very soft and quiet. Everyone folded and he showed KK. LOL. Next time he came out raising confidently I popped him with T4o.

I was slowly building my stack the way you always want to, just chopping away, never having to show anything down. I was up to 45 at one point during the level, but ended it around 40K.

Blinds up to 400-800. I’m continuing to open a lot, but I have reasonable cards too. People have started to make comments about me raising a lot, and how I always defended my blinds (which in my mind was far from the truth, although I was doing it more than anyone else). I showed them a couple hands that I opened in LP, TT, AJs. The guy two to my left said “Oh, I believe you, I just wish I had something to play back with.” LOL, these guys, what a table. I was just praying that I didn’t get moved and that no one tough ended up at our table when someone busted.

I don’t remember much from this level, except for one hand, but I steadily built my stack to 65kish without showing down a hand.

The one hand I do remember from this level was a LP short stack made it 3K with around 4K behind. Stars kid calls, I make it 15K in the BB with AQc, short stack calls all in and the kid folds. Short stack had AJs, and my hand held up.

Blinds 500-1000.

CO (stars kid begging me to take his chips) opens for 3200 I think. I have KJ in the SB and decide to just call. I feel like I’ve reraised him enough that he’s going to want to take a stand sometime soon. BB folds. Flop is KQ7r, I check, he quickly moves all in for almost 30K. I take off my headphones in a haste to make sure I heard him correctly, and almost call without even thinking about it. I probably got about half a syllable out of “I call” before I decided to take a second. After maybe 3 seconds I decided I wasn’t going to find a fold and made the call. He showed Q9 and my hand held up.

Now I have a stack and am sitting very comfortably with around 100K. I had just raised and gotten reraised, so I decide to limp 89s utg. Folds to MP who makes it 4500 with 40K behind. This guy is bad. He loves to make big folds and show them. He’s the kind of guy who I think I can easily semibluff off a strong hand. For these reasons I call. The flop comes A88, I check, he moves in immediately, and I call before he could believe it. He was absolutely disgusted when I turned my hand over, and gave me a really nasty look. I can’t imagine how many times he’s told this story of the young donkey who CALLS A RAISE WITH 89. He had AQ.

Once again I flop trips and get to check call all in. Sometimes it’s an easy game.

Blinds go up to 600-1200, I have about 140K.

I raise to 3600 UTG+1 with 97d, MP (another bad player) makes it 8K. He has between 30 and 35K behind. I make the obvious call of his 4400 reraise. The flop comes 972 two clubs. I check, he pushes, and I call instantly. He has TT. It comes running queens to give him a higher two pair. This was kind of devastating, but it was really the first time that I had gotten pretty unlucky so far in the tournament. It was sort of difficult to think about the fact that it would have put me to almost 200K.

I decide to chill out for a bit, I didn’t want to have to worry about getting reraised more since I just opened with 97 in EP. I also like to take it a bit slower after a frustrating hand like this. I don’t think I tilt much, but even minor tilt is bad.

I’m able to chop my back up to 130Kish. With blinds of 800-1600, Big stack on my right (150Kish) opens to 4500. He’s been tightish to moderately active. He’s fairly new to the table so I’ve been waiting to get a better feel for him, but eager to take a flop with him with my position. I call right behind him with J9c. HU, flop is JT9. He bets 12K, I call. I think raising is fine here, but I decided to see the turn before playing a big pot here. Turn is Q, one of the worst cards for me. He bets 24K. I think about it for a while and decide to fold. I’m still not sure how I feel about this hand. Good job using my position, right. This was the biggest laydown I made throughout the tournament. I hate making big folds more than anything, but it felt right here.

60K stack gets moved to the table. He opens in EMP for 5000, I call in the SB with 88. The flop comes 666. I check, he immediately pushes all in. I contemplate for a long time, and eventually get a clock called on me. It’s such a weird play, I think it might be AK. He’s definitely not that solid of a player, he’s drinking beer, and he’s visibly nervous (not that it means he’s weak necessarily) with his heart racing. I finally decide to fold. I think it would be a pretty bad call since he was new to the table. It was a lot of chips to call off, and if I’m wrong I’m in horrible shape. A few hands later he was talking to the guy next to him, and while I had my headphones but volume down low, he told the guy that he wished I had called.

I blow off 20K when new young tuan le like asian guy sits down and makes a min raise utg. I call on the button with 88 and BB calls. Flop is QTx two diamonds, BB checks, UTG bets really small like 4400, I make it 15K, he reraises some gross amount and I fold.

I end the day just under 100K. Blinds start off at 1-2K the next day, and we will be playing hand for hand with 568 players left and 560 getting paid.

Day 3

I get seated in the 3 seat (playing 9 handed) with Mike Matusow in the 9, Minh Ly in the 8, unknown at the time Joseph Hachem in the 6, Scotland dude from Pokerstars with a monster stack on my left in the 4.

We quickly find out how nuts Scotland is. He opens in EP, Matusow reraises 16K more (probably 100 more behind), Scotland calls. Flop is A93 two clubs, Scotland pushes all in, Matusow doesn’t take too long in calling with AK, Scotland has J7c and misses. Soon after he opens on Ly’s and Matusow’s blinds. He calls Ly’s c/r on the flop with no pair no draw, then bets the turn when the flush card hits and shows his complete bluff. He also apparently had no idea who Matusow was, because as soon as Matusow sits down he’s looking around at peoples stacks and talking about how he’s going to take those chips, and those chips, blah blah blah. Scotland takes noticeable offense to it, saying in his almost undecipherable accent “no one cares, why do you keep talking.” He continues to mumble stuff to Matusow who responds with, “well, I already got one chip leader on tilt. See, now you’re gonna try and bust me, but actually that’s how I’m gonna bust you.”

We’re in the money when I open to 6500 on the button with TT. Scotland makes it 15K more from the SB, I call. Flop is Q96r, Scotland while sitting back in his chair says “20 thousand”, but doesn’t actually put it in. I’m sitting there waiting for him to put his chips in, thinking it’s kind of weird. I ask the dealer to have him put it in. I call. Turn is 7d, putting a flush draw up. Scotland now looks at my stack and says “all in”. I agonize over it for a while before calling. When I turn mine over, he’s not making any effort to get his cards turned over. He says, “you call me with that?” He’s very surprised. He turns over T7h, for a pair of 7s and a gutshot, which I have locked up too. The river blanks off, and I’m feeling good.

I call Matusow’s 7500 EP raise with 77 in LP. Flop is AKJ two hearts, check check. Turn is To, check check. River is 7h. He bets 25K, I consider folding but decide to call. he has QQ for the straight.

After another hand against Hachem, Scotland has blown off about 300K in the first level. He doubles up on a coinflip to about 80K. I then pick up KK and make my standard raise fo 8500 (blinds 1500-3000), he reraises, I push, he calls with AK. Flop has an ace and I’m back down to where I started the day. This was quite brutal. KK and Scotland is reraising me (which he hadn’t done that much, but looked like he wanted to every time I opened), can’t ask for a much better spot.

I’m getting cold decked now, and Ly and Matusow are opening a lot of pots, both with big stacks.

I pick up KK again UTG, folds to BB who calls. He leads at me on a QJx two flushed board, and I push, he folds.

I’m down to under 60K at one point, and push on consecutive hands where Ly and Matusow opened in LP, and get back up to 95 or so before blinds go up to 2-4K.

A couple orbits into the level, monster stack (700+) open limps in EMP, button limps, SB completes, and I look down at KK in the BB. I make it 15K more, monster stack calls, the others fold. Flop is K73, two diamonds. I check, he puts me all in quickly, and I of course call immediately hoping he shows me 66 or something like that. He has A8d, 9 of diamonds on the turn, and I don’t fill up on the river. Matusow says “I knew it” when I turned my hand over. After the river is dealt he told the table, “man, that kid deserved better than that. He played so good.” We had talked briefly at the break and at the table. I was surprised by how nice of a guy he was to me. One of the highlights of the day was when he was on one of his rants, “let me tell you all what’s going on here. See, there are some playes you can't bluff. Let me tell you who you can’t bluff. You can’t bluff him (pointing to Minh Ly), you can’t bluff me…..and you can’t bluff that kid.” He was pointing at me, this was a little while after my TT call.

Oh yeah, once again I flop a set and get to check call all in.

Needless to say, I was absolutely devastated after being knocked out. I kind of aimlessly got up and started walking away before they gave me the seat card to take to one of the TD’s. I then got a slip with 263 on it to take to someone else. I was sort of in shock and not sure how to feel when right after I got another slip to take to the cashier a woman asked me to do an interview for a documentary about younger people playing in the world series. If she had waited maybe 5 minutes I probably would have done it, but I had no desire to go explain how I got my chips in with the nuts only to have my opponent holding the one hand I was vulnerable to and draw out on me. I simply told her I didn’t really feel like talking about it right then.

The pain has since gone away for the most part. I’m happy with how I played, even though the tournament made me realize how much I have to work on.

I feel like I’ve been playing awesome poker since then. I had my biggest online score the other day in the UB 215, and I also got a seat for Legends of Poker 5K main event on the same day.

The whole experience was amazing and certainly made me a better player. I am of course disappointed that I have to wait a year before getting to play this tournament again. What a structure it has!

colson10

billyjex 07-21-2005 02:34 AM

Re: WSOP ME Report (long)

congrats on your success. what a rough one to go out.. but it sounds like you played great.

Tyler Durden 07-21-2005 02:49 AM

Awesome report dude. 263rd is excellent. How much did you win?

yabastid 07-21-2005 02:58 AM

Great read Carl, thank you. I realize where I need to take my game when I read your post- FLOP MORE SETS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I saw your performance in th UB- congrats.

Much more success,

yabastid

MLG 07-21-2005 03:07 AM

it was a blast sweating you in vegas man. you played some kick ass poker. I can only say im jealous of some of the opportunities you got, and reading this trip report im jealous that I don't have an even remotely interesting one of my own. Can't wait to see you at some more of these events.

SossMan 07-21-2005 03:22 AM

really great report...so that's what i'm doing wrong...i'm not flopping sets and checkcalling all in enough..i'll work on that.

how much did you win?

SossMan 07-21-2005 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no 126th, but hey.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

morello 07-21-2005 03:27 AM

Good report, tough break. Keep playing like you do and you'll be winning these things soon enough.

bugstud 07-21-2005 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a blast sweating you in vegas man. you played some kick ass poker. I can only say im jealous of some of the opportunities you got, and reading this trip report im jealous that I don't have an even remotely interesting one of my own. Can't wait to see you at some more of these events.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's nice to see someone run well/play well and make it more than 6 hours in.

colson10 07-21-2005 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, just over 24K.

colson10

colson10 07-21-2005 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no 126th, but hey.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it's about time I change my location.

colson10

MSUcougar 07-21-2005 03:42 AM

Very nice report... Tough way to go out.

I also noticed you're in Seattle... I just moved to the area. Do you play live locally? If so, what are the good local casinos to check out?

bugstud 07-21-2005 03:44 AM

For the record...

[ QUOTE ]
I open 22 in CO for 600, button makes it 1500, blinds fold back to me. I’ve seen this guy reraise with AK, AQ, and he has reraised my LP opens before, so I decide to call and push any flop. Flop is 842. Okay, so maybe I’m not pushing any flop. I check, he puts me all in with 66, and I double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's one.
[ QUOTE ]

I limp utg with 88 for 200, another limper, and LP makes it 800, both of us call. Flop is 876 two hearts. Checks to preflop raiser, who pushes for 7000, I call all in for something between 5-6K, other limper folds, and I crack AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
two
[ QUOTE ]

I limp 44 in EP, MP makes it 800, with 4500 behind, I call HU. Flop is T94, and for the third time I flop a set and get to check call an all in bet. AA no good. I’m somewhere around 20K.

[/ QUOTE ]
three
[ QUOTE ]

CO (stars kid begging me to take his chips) opens for 3200 I think. I have KJ in the SB and decide to just call. I feel like I’ve reraised him enough that he’s going to want to take a stand sometime soon. BB folds. Flop is KQ7r, I check, he quickly moves all in for almost 30K. I take off my headphones in a haste to make sure I heard him correctly, and almost call without even thinking about it. I probably got about half a syllable out of “I call” before I decided to take a second. After maybe 3 seconds I decided I wasn’t going to find a fold and made the call. He showed Q9 and my hand held up.

[/ QUOTE ]
four
[ QUOTE ]

Now I have a stack and am sitting very comfortably with around 100K. I had just raised and gotten reraised, so I decide to limp 89s utg. Folds to MP who makes it 4500 with 40K behind. This guy is bad. He loves to make big folds and show them. He’s the kind of guy who I think I can easily semibluff off a strong hand. For these reasons I call. The flop comes A88, I check, he moves in immediately, and I call before he could believe it. He was absolutely disgusted when I turned my hand over, and gave me a really nasty look. I can’t imagine how many times he’s told this story of the young donkey who CALLS A RAISE WITH 89. He had AQ.

[/ QUOTE ] five [ QUOTE ]

Blinds go up to 600-1200, I have about 140K.

I raise to 3600 UTG+1 with 97d, MP (another bad player) makes it 8K. He has between 30 and 35K behind. I make the obvious call of his 4400 reraise. The flop comes 972 two clubs. I check, he pushes, and I call instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]
six
[ QUOTE ]

A couple orbits into the level, monster stack (700+) open limps in EMP, button limps, SB completes, and I look down at KK in the BB. I make it 15K more, monster stack calls, the others fold. Flop is K73, two diamonds. I check, he puts me all in quickly, and I of course call

[/ QUOTE ]

seven

giving you a hard time, but every story I heard was "I check, he push, I call."

quite an unlucky seventh time, but I enjoyed sweating you. hopefully you run this good next time I'm around.

colson10 07-21-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fun having you there. There's no doubt in my mind you'll have some good trip reports in the future.

colson10

unglee 07-21-2005 04:28 AM

Great Report-Some bad luck at the end, but at least you cashed! (I wish I could say the same for me).

Where did you win your entry for the Legends of Poker tourney? I'd like to look into it if they're still running satellites.

ChoicestHops 07-21-2005 05:08 AM

One of the better reports I've read. Tough break - I'd get me a bottle for the night if I busted out like that.

dmk 07-21-2005 09:40 AM

carl,

i concur w/ schaefer. you are a beast. well played.

Cerelius 07-21-2005 10:54 AM

Great Report

Best of luck to you in the future.

C

nolanfan34 07-21-2005 12:16 PM

Awesome report, I'll begrudgingly admit, even though you're a Husky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great write up, reading the bust out hand just makes me feel ill.

bugstud 07-21-2005 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome report, I'll begrudgingly admit, even though you're a Husky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great write up, reading the bust out hand just makes me feel ill.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a bad time to walk over and ask how he's doing, lemme tell ya what

Double Eagle 07-21-2005 12:24 PM

Holy cow, I played a day and a half in Atlantis and 13 hours in the Main Event and have a grand total of zero flopped sets. Not only that, I've never even mucked a small pair to a raise that would have been a set. Where can I go to work on this?

bugstud 07-21-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow, I played a day and a half in Atlantis and 13 hours in the Main Event and have a grand total of zero flopped sets. Not only that, I've never even mucked a small pair to a raise that would have been a set. Where can I go to work on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, I even flopped one in the ME...you need to get a better luckbox. I'm about two versions behind colson it seems [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PrayingMantis 07-21-2005 01:35 PM

Nice report and great job. Your online and live success is pretty understandable, with your ability and feel of the game.

BTW, I know how painful it is to bust the way you did, but I really don't think there's a reason to feel too unlucky about it. Many people bust through very tough beats on the early hours of day 1 or 2. You were quite lucky at the early stages.

For a little perspective (it's not a rant or anything), I've played 4 EPT events this year (I've met you at two of them) and have never flopped any set with my PPs, while in the same time, at a few crucial hands where I had either a big pair (which ended as an overpair to the board), or a TPTK, someone flopped a set AGAINST ME. This was very expensive and painful for me, of course, although I did manage to survive 2 of these situations without taking a very big hit, which I'm proud of. People particularly loved playing TT to my PF raises and to hit a T on the flop... So feel good, you are running great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (and playing great too, which helps a lot...)

burningyen 07-21-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people bust through very tough beats on the early hours of day 1 or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. Here's one I saw at my day 1C table:

AA (shorter but decent stack) vs. KK (table chip leader) all-in pre-flop.

Flop: AKQ
Turn: T
River: K

colson10 07-21-2005 02:28 PM

Hi Praying Mantis, of course I remember meeting you at the EPT.

I didn't want to make it sound like I felt I was that unlucky. He hit his flush draw, it wasn't a bad beat. It was devastating though because I was getting to the point where I needed to make a hand, which just happened to be top set, the nuts at the time, and he happened to have the only hand that I was vulnerable to.

But I certainly realize I was very fortunate go get to that point. I was lucky to flop some big hands and get paid off way more than was necessary. However, I had my share of unlucky spots too.

I was also lucky to get away from the JJ when 99 basically saved me by pushing preflop.

The pain after busting out came from the fact that I had gotten that far, gotten my chips in with the nuts, and would have been in good shape had I won that pot. I was deep enough that the real money was in sight. One of my first thoughts after busting was that not only do I have to wait a year to play this great tournament again, but it might be a loooooooong time before I'm fortunate enough to make it this far in the main event again. It might be 10-20 years, or longer, before I get that close again in the main event (and that is assuming I play it every year). With the field as large as it is, I may never get that far again in this particular tournament.

I'm sure things will start going your way in these big events at some point. I haven't had a chance to play with you yet, but from your posts you seem like a top notch player.

colson10

PrayingMantis 07-22-2005 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The pain after busting out came from the fact that I had gotten that far, gotten my chips in with the nuts, and would have been in good shape had I won that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, this is extremely painful. Also, the points you made about maybe not being able to run as well luckwise in the next few WSOP events, are true also. It's a cruel game. I'm not saying you should feel good about busting like that. But you made your best effort and got far.

BTW colson, you mentioned you were sitting at the table with Hachem for a while. How did you find him as a player? Were you surprised when he took it down? Did you play any pots with him?

colson10 07-22-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW colson, you mentioned you were sitting at the table with Hachem for a while. How did you find him as a player? Were you surprised when he took it down? Did you play any pots with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hachem seemed very solid. He was pretty short at the beginning of the day and doubled up when he flopped a set from the BB with 33 on a A83 board against AK. He then doubled up again against Scotland, when Scotland opened on his blind from the button. Flop was A73 with a flush draw, Hachem check raised the flop, Scotland pushed, and Hachem called with A9. A6 for Scotland. This was a pretty big pot, and I'm not sure if he'd play it the same against anyone else at the table. The turn was a 7, so Scotland had over half the deck for a chop. The river was a 4.

I didn't get into it with him much other than raising his blind a few times. He reraised me a couple times.

He opened in MP one hand with A3s, BB defended. Flop was AKQ, and I think the action went, check, bet, check raise, and Hachem pushed. BB had JT. I don't think he played this one well, but BB had shown to be a fan of big folds if he had to put his stack on the line, so I don't think it was that bad.

colson10

Bataglin 07-22-2005 06:49 PM

Very nice report and play. Good job.

TheDrone 07-22-2005 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I open with black KK on the button for 150, unknown BB defends (another late arriver). Flop is J86 two clubs. BB checks, I bet 200, he check raises to 450, I call. Turn is 6o, BB checks, I bet 700, he c/r’s again to 1600, I call. River is J, he leads for 2100, I call. He doesn’t show. I’m up to 13.5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a busted draw since he CR'd the turn again and bet out on the river, but I'm curious what hands you put BB on during the action since his line is kind of odd.

colson10 07-22-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a busted draw since he CR'd the turn again and bet out on the river, but I'm curious what hands you put BB on during the action since his line is kind of odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

My decision to call on the river was made fairly quickly. I hardly pondered it even though it was a big bet. I didn't even try to really put him on some specific hand, I could just feel it was a bluff. When he plays it that strangely, with little check raises, I figure he has quads or nothing (missed draw).

colson10

The Don 07-22-2005 08:59 PM

Great Report... very informative

How old are you? out of curiosity...

colson10 07-23-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great Report... very informative

How old are you? out of curiosity...

[/ QUOTE ]

23 years old.

colson10

07-24-2005 02:26 AM

I was actually watching your table from the rail as I was craning to watch my cousin a few tables over. I, too, was amazed at how easily Scotland was giving away his chips, and at how miraculously he'd get them back (J4 v. TT). I saw your TT hand, and I thought that was a class call on your part, probably made easier because of the opponent.

Congratulations!

TheJackal 07-24-2005 07:16 AM

Good report, better luck next time.