Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   When you were in college... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=328290)

BeerMoney 09-02-2005 11:56 AM

When you were in college...

Did black & white students hang out together? (Did they sit together in the dining hall, etc..)

If the answer is "no", what do you attribute this to?

FishHooks 09-02-2005 12:17 PM

Re: When you were in college...

I dont think it racist but I'm not sure what it is. It still goes on in my college and did in my high school. However I've never seen so many smart blacks in one place at my college (not racist just or being a smart a.. just saying the truth)and it seems whites and blacks hang out together more at my college as opposed to high school. However you still get the segregation in places like a lunch room or around campus.

warlockjd 09-02-2005 12:17 PM

Not much. Cultural differences

Hamish McBagpipe 09-02-2005 12:21 PM

What black students?

FishHooks 09-02-2005 12:21 PM

I also think its just not getting to know the other culture as well. When I played football in high school, about half my team was white the other half black, and we for the most part hung out in one big group, and I dont think there is as much of a social standard (not the right word thobut not sure what to put there) to hang out with your own race.

illogical 09-02-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What black students?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I didn't see too many blacks at my college either. In high school, most of the non-blacks were placed in the advanced or honor classes while the special-ed classes were populated by blacks.

FishHooks 09-02-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What black students?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I didn't see too many blacks at my college either. In high school, most of the non-whites were placed in the advanced or honor classes, while the special-ed classes were populated by blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know all state colleges have to have a percentage of black people at the college. Since I live in Florida there are a lot of black people at the University of Florida, most of them which are pretty smart.

andyfox 09-02-2005 01:15 PM

Exactly. I went to UCLA from 1969 to 1973; there were very few black students. In 2002, there were 147 black freshmen in a class of 3,872 there. I doubt there were half that many then.

BeerMoney 09-02-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think its just not getting to know the other culture as well. When I played football in high school, about half my team was white the other half black, and we for the most part hung out in one big group, and I dont think there is as much of a social standard (not the right word thobut not sure what to put there) to hang out with your own race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good story. I think people integrate when its natural and its not thrown down their throat.