Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Recommend some Jazz (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386138)

CD56 11-27-2005 01:38 PM

Recommend some Jazz

I recently got two Miles Davis CDs, Kind of Blue and Water Babies, I really like both of them and would welcome any advice on other Jazz albums that I should check out. I'm thinking about some Dave Brubeck or Herbie Hancock albums, thoughts on where to start would be appreciated.

JonPKibble 11-27-2005 01:39 PM

Re: Recommend some Jazz

Pat Metheny Group

The Rippingtons

fluxrad 11-27-2005 01:59 PM

Anything by John Coltrane. I would recommend Giant Steps. Also, TS Monk is excellent, albeit a bit harder to listen to if you're just getting into jazz.

emil3000 11-27-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything by John Coltrane. I would recommend Giant Steps. Also, TS Monk is excellent, albeit a bit harder to listen to if you're just getting into jazz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say anything by Coltrane to someone who's just getting into jazz. Chances are that he won't realize the greatness of Meditations or The Olatunji Concert at first. Then he might give up on Coltrane altogether. When getting into Coltrane, it is probably not a good idea to start with anything recorded after A Love Supreme. A Love Supreme is easily one of the five best jazz albums ever, and fairly accesible, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not into jazz already. Giant Steps is a good start, as is My Favorite Things, Blue Train, or Coltranes sound. "Coltrane" on the Impulse label is v good. Crescent is an excellent mellow album which still features his later style.

11-27-2005 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say anything by Coltrane to someone who's just getting into jazz. Chances are that he won't realize the greatness of Meditations or The Olatunji Concert at first. Then he might give up on Coltrane altogether. When getting into Coltrane, it is probably not a good idea to start with anything recorded after A Love Supreme. A Love Supreme is easily one of the five best jazz albums ever, and fairly accesible, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not into jazz already. Giant Steps is a good start, as is My Favorite Things, Blue Train, or Coltranes sound. "Coltrane" on the Impulse label is v good. Crescent is an excellent mellow album which still features his later style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Therefore, I suggest he listen to the album Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman, and then taper down to Trane.

emil3000 11-27-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Therefore, I suggest he listen to the album Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman, and then taper down to Trane.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or "The Shape of Jazz To Come" (Ornette Coleman). That's awesome, Lonely Woman is so beutiful.

brettbrettr 11-27-2005 02:48 PM

Miles: Tribute to Jack Johnson and On the Corner. Both later Miles, both funky as hell

For Herbie and Brubeck, their respective masterpieces, I guess, are Head Hunters and Time Out. I haven't listened much to the second, but Head Hunters is really [censored] great.

brettbrettr 11-27-2005 02:55 PM

Oh, I'd also highly recommend Miles autobiography.Its heavy on the phrase "white honkey mutherfvcker," which is funny. Other parts of it like "I looked so good I forgot my horn" are also very funny.

edtost 11-27-2005 03:04 PM

Clifford Brown

cwsiggy 11-27-2005 03:11 PM

anything from this page...

http://www.bluenote.com/rvg_promo.asp

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else - this is such a classic - almost as good as Kind of Blue - make sure you get the RVG remastered edition.

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

Horace Silver - Blowin the Blues Away

Art Blakey - Moanin'