Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Working on my game---Button defense (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403674)

roy_miami 12-22-2005 08:29 PM

Working on my game---Button defense

Hi all,

I've been playing in some touger games lately and I need to work on my game to keep from being run over. I've gone from playing with 1 or 2 guys that raise around 20% preflop to 4 and sometimes all 5 opps are 20%+. I'm going to make a poll today about which hands you guys defend the button vs a CO raise. At a later date I may do the same with SB hands.

Here's the situation. You are on the button, CO's stats are 40/26 and steals 46% of the time. SB is 42/10 and BB is 27/17. CO always peels the flop and will give up on air on the turn.

Danenania 12-23-2005 02:29 PM

Re: Working on my game---Button defense

A5o, A2o, JTo, 87s, and 22 are the only ones I'd fold. Guess I'm much looser in this spot than most.

Lmn55d 12-23-2005 02:55 PM

Re: Working on my game---Button defense *DELETED*

Post deleted by Lmn55d

Danenania 12-23-2005 03:12 PM

Yeah I'd call 98s so perhaps 87s should be a play too? JTo seems a bit too weak to me at 42ish% equity with no suitedness.

Lmn55d 12-23-2005 03:12 PM

i'm an idiot. I thought hero is BB instead of button. Deleted my post.

MAxx 12-23-2005 03:27 PM

I think that I defend the SB (by 3 betting) much more vigorously than I do when defending the button. For example, sometimes I'll 3bet QTo from the SB... but I don't believe that I have considered this from the Button vs a CO steal. Could someone who has a pretty good grasp on the difference of getting buckwild from the SB defense vs getting buckwild from the the "Button Defense." Perhaps even just a simple general viewpoint could get me started on how to compare/ revise my approach.

Edit: For example... how does posistion compared to, pot odds, initiative, and believeablity of big holdings compare in each spot?

TheMetetron 12-23-2005 03:47 PM

Well, I was sqaurely in the majority for every hand. Nice to see that I guess.

Drontier 12-23-2005 05:02 PM

:P cuz button isn't usually "defended"

roy_miami 12-23-2005 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:P cuz button isn't usually "defended"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear the expression "you should raise that in the CO to steal the button"? Or "if the button's weak you can steal it all day"?

roy_miami 12-23-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I was sqaurely in the majority for every hand. Nice to see that I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Even the hands where I mix up what I do (QJs, TJs) is reflected in the poll. A9o is a clear raise and A5o is a clear fold, where is the cut-off for you guys? For me its A9, I guess I should have added A8o and A7o to the poll.