Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Most satisfying ending to a video game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322038)

bernie 08-24-2005 03:50 PM

Most satisfying ending to a video game?

What vid game has a great ending or celebration(lack of a better word) for beating it? I mean one that you really feel like you accomplished something to where the journey was worth the ending. I find many endings or final fights are just anti-climactic. Though sometimes getting there can make up for the lack of good endings.

My fave is still the final fight in TombRaider 2 with the dragon. That whole game was just a cool adventure.

An interesting ending was in Nam '67. Talk about an empty feeling, but somehow that kind of fit the story line.

I guess this could also pertain to certain fights 'during' a game. Something you feel you really had to work your ass off without any little 'cheat' tricks to beat a part.

Any ideas?

b

swede123 08-24-2005 03:52 PM

Re: Most satisfying ending to a video game?

I like the ending to the game Diablo. You finally capture the demon inside your own body...only to have him take over it and use you to continue the evil.

Cool stuff.

Swede

Shajen 08-24-2005 03:52 PM

Wow, it just occured to me that I can think of a single game ending.

Wait, I remember Mario Brothers. That's about it. I've beaten a lot of games. The really good ones I don't want to end though.

istewart 08-24-2005 03:56 PM

Max Payne. Took me a long time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

handsome 08-24-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait, I remember Mario Brothers. That's about it. I've beaten a lot of games. The really good ones I don't want to end though.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were dumb as hell. "Sorry Mario! Princess is in another castle!"

I remember liking the FF7 ending a lot, though I can't quite remember what it was.

TheMainEvent 08-24-2005 03:57 PM

Contra. Island explodes, you fly away. No scrolling text necessary. What more do you want?

shakingspear 08-24-2005 03:59 PM

I was satisfied with the ending of Metal Gear Solid. I also thought The Ocarina of Time was well done.

bernie 08-24-2005 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good test. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The really good ones I don't want to end though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some games are just cool and written well. For me it was FF7. I can't really remember the ending, but it was a real fun game to travel around in. Suikoden was kinda cool in that way.

b

jgorham 08-24-2005 04:00 PM

This sort of thing is what makes Half Life 1 and 2 great FPS. I also liked the ending to Knights of the Old Republic, as I got to take over the galaxy, thus proving my badassness.

ElSapo 08-24-2005 04:00 PM

Ghostbusters for the Comodore 64, though mostly b/c I've only completed two in my life and the other was SuperMario Bros.