Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   5: Opening plays (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388530)

11-30-2005 05:06 PM

5: Opening plays

Is this ok to do? If so, is it the right amount to open up?

Seat 1: justsomefo0 (1285 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: Matteao620 (605 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: coinsofmerit (1870 in chips)
Seat 6: surgyon (1810 in chips)
Seat 7: BRIGGSY11 (1945 in chips)
Seat 8: oldnighthawk (4215 in chips)
Seat 9: Hero (1770 in chips)
oldnighthawk: posts small blind 50
ReconGhost: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Jh Qs]
justsomefo0: folds
Matteao620: folds
coinsofmerit: folds
surgyon: folds
BRIGGSY11: raises 100 to 200
oldnighthawk: folds
Hero: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [8s Qh 3d]
Hero: bets 200
all fold

SHould i have bet here? or should have checked and sucked some people in?

Seat 1: justsomefo0 (1285 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: Matteao620 (605 in chips)
Seat 5: coinsofmerit (1870 in chips)
Seat 6: surgyon (1810 in chips)
Seat 7: BRIGGSY11 (1745 in chips)
Seat 8: oldnighthawk (4165 in chips)
Seat 9: Hero (2020 in chips)
Hero: posts small blind 75
justsomefo0: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ad Qc]
Matteao620: folds
coinsofmerit: folds
surgyon: folds
BRIGGSY11: calls 150
oldnighthawk: calls 150
Hero: calls 75
justsomefo0: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jh Kc 4d]
Hero: bets 450

all fold

splashpot 11-30-2005 05:09 PM

Re: 5: Opening plays

1. ok
2. Why would you want to suck people in? First of all, I would have raised preflop. But on the flop, if you're gonna bet, you should pray that everyone folds.

11-30-2005 05:17 PM

#1:
Ah I'm fine with this. I might bet just a little more post-flop. Maybe 300 or 350. In certain situations if I have a good read on the min-raiser I may also reraise him pre-flop and try to take the blinds right there. Most of the time though I'd probably just call and then with that flop I would bet.

#2:
Pre-flop:
I raise here, maybe to 525 or so, maybe 600. I'd be hoping to take the blinds and you have a good hand too. I'd probably c-bet most flops afterwards.

Post-flop:
I don't know why you think you should be sucking people in. All you have is a gutshot draw. I think your bet is a pretty gutty bluff. I probably would check here, but not with the intention of sucking people in. More like with the intention of folding after somebody else bets.

ZeroPointMachine 11-30-2005 05:29 PM

#1 Why bet out here? You are HU with the pre-flop raiser with TPGK on a very safe board. Isn't he going to bet it for you 90% of the time or more? I check/raise here virtually everytime.

#2 um...I'm confused.

11-30-2005 05:40 PM

#1: I bet out here because as splashpot said the guy's either a moron or has AA or KK (or both I suppose: I think its pretty stupid to do that with AA or KK and that many people still at the table anyway.) Anyway I want to find out now. If I check and he bets I learn nothing. If I bet and he reraises maybe I can start to reevaluate my read. I'm pretty sure he'll fold anyway though. Also if he is indeed a moron and just min-raised with a mediocre hand, chances are he didn't hit anything on the flop. It is my experience that when this happens a decent amount of those min-raisers will then just check the flop.....or min bet it. Because of these reasons I really think betting out is the better play.

Edit: typo

11-30-2005 05:44 PM

so on #2 it was right for me to bluff and steal the blinds?

ZeroPointMachine 11-30-2005 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1: I bet out here because as splashpot said the guy's either a moron or has AA or KK (or both I suppose: I think its pretty stupid to do that with AA or KK and that many people still at the table anyway.) Anyway I want to find out now. If I check and he bets I learn nothing. If I bet and he reraises maybe I can start to reevaluate my read. I'm pretty sure he'll fold anyway though. Also if he is indeed a moron and just min-raised with a mediocre hand, chances are he didn't hit anything on the flop. It is my experience that when this happens a decent amount of those min-raisers will then just check the flop.....or min bet it. Because of these reasons I really think betting out is the better play.

Edit: typo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are reading way too much into the min-raise. If he makes a standard 3xBB button blind stealing raise would you still be inclined to bet out?