Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   My hand might be good, so i check. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=293785)

cnfuzzd 07-15-2005 09:17 PM

My hand might be good, so i check.

I had just sat down, so no reads on any of the players.

UTG open limps, folded to the sb, who raises, i call in the bb with Q9s, EP calls. 3 to the flop for 6 sbs.

Flop. Tc Jd Kh.

sb bets, i raise, ep calls, sb calls. 3 to the turn for 6BBs.

Turn Qs (Tc Jd Kh)

Sb checks. I check......

At the time this turn check seemed pretty standard. There were some dissenters in the irc channel though, so i figured i would see what the forum thought.

peace

john nickle

Surfbullet 07-15-2005 09:28 PM

Re: My hand might be good, so i check.

I bet this turn, because SB will rarely go for the c/r w/ an Ace on such an obviously dangerous board, yet will call with many 1pair/2pair/set hands. Additionally, EPs flop call is either a Q or a flopped pair, which may have improved on the turn, but to a 2nd best hand.

However, I'd get pretty frustrated if I got raised, and I'm not sure how I'd handle it, though I'd think hard about folding.

Surf

mperich 07-15-2005 09:29 PM

Bet turn and river for value. There are a lot of hands that will at least call the turn (2 pairs), and once they get to the river they probably arent laying down for 1 bet. Also, I think its pretty safe to fold to a checkraise here.

-Mike

joker122 07-15-2005 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet this turn, because SB will rarely go for the c/r w/ an Ace on such an obviously dangerous board, yet will call with many 1pair/2pair/set hands. Additionally, EPs flop call is either a Q or a flopped pair, which may have improved on the turn, but to a 2nd best hand.

However, I'd get pretty frustrated if I got raised, and I'm not sure how I'd handle it, though I'd think hard about folding.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

i was ready to agree with this 100% until i read the last line. why can't you fold to a raise anywhere?

Surfbullet 07-15-2005 09:47 PM

Maybe that sentence wasn't clear. I'd fold to a c/r, but I wouldn't be happy about it - my hand is worth a showdown many times, but I miss too much value by checking the turn.

Against certain opponents I'd call a raise, however.

Surf

cnfuzzd 07-15-2005 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think a pair hand calls a turn bet here often enough? My thinking was that the only hand that would call is something like at least 2 pair or a set, and even those hands would perhaps fold on the river.

My plan was to check the turn, and call or bet the river. Incidentally, this is what happened.

Turn. I check, EP checks.

River. 18purplehorseshoes. sb bets, i call, ep folds.

further thoughts?

peace

john nickle

Stack 07-15-2005 09:54 PM

Why is no one liking the check? Ok, he will pay off a bet if he has two pair, but what if he has one pair? I don't think folding to a turn c/r is easy.

I like checking and inducing a bluff.

cnfuzzd 07-15-2005 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is no one liking the check? Ok, he will pay off a bet if he has two pair, but what if he has one pair? I don't think folding to a turn c/r is easy.

I like checking and inducing a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to a turn checkraise is super easy...

peace

john nickle

TheMetetron 07-15-2005 10:58 PM

I'm all for betting the turn and river for value, folding to a raise as you know. This is $3/6... even at $5/10 these donks are calling with less than a straight. Your incorrect assumption is that a donk won't call without a very strong hand.

cnfuzzd 07-15-2005 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for betting the turn and river for value, folding to a raise as you know. This is $3/6... even at $5/10 these donks are calling with less than a straight. Your incorrect assumption is that a donk won't call without a very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, after thinking about it more, and being set straight by entity, im in agreement. Im getting fps from my latest reread of hpfap...

peace

john nickle