Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Buying a Big Screen (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405240)

scotty34 12-26-2005 03:13 AM

Buying a Big Screen

So we are looking to get a big screen TV for the house. Boxing Week seems like as good of a time as any to go for it.

Specifically, I believe we are looking for a 50" Plasma TV. How do Plasma's compare to LCD's (price, quality, etc.)

So what recommendations does everyone have for this? What brands are good, which to avoid? Where would be a good place to look for deals? Do you have one - what size, what brand, how long have you had it, what did it cost, etc.?

Any information is appreciated.

Clarkmeister 12-26-2005 03:15 AM

Re: Buying a Big Screen

www.cnet.com

shant 12-26-2005 03:20 AM

I just got a 50" Sony 3LCD Rear-Projection TV but I haven't taken it out of the bo yet so I can't tell you if I like it or not.

fluxrad 12-26-2005 03:22 AM

I'd be wary of plasma burn.

I recommend this Sony 50" LCD RP (edit: it's the same one shant mentions above). I've had the 42" version for a couple of months and love it. It does have a bit of a red push, but this is a minor annoyance that can be mitigated with a bit of image tweaking.

I'd go with either the Sony...or as I understand it Mitsubishi makes a good DLP unit. I'd head over to AVS Forum if you want to find the skinny on any unit in particular. I went there on the recommendation of some people here when I was shopping and am extremely glad I did.

Personally, I'm a fan of either DLP or LCD RP. Plasma just has too many downsides.

scotty34 12-26-2005 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.cnet.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent

diebitter 12-26-2005 03:39 AM

don't even know if it's available in NA, but try and look at a 50" Sagem Axiom(sp?)

awesome picture and great price - I never thought I'd see a decent rear proj TV in a well lit room till I saw this.

renodoc 12-26-2005 04:17 AM

I think sony makes a 50 inch SXRD set. I would look into it.

I'm considering the Qualia 006, but its a crapload of cash. Also looking at the "Ruby" front projector.

Have a Sharp Aquos 45 in and like it.

kenberman 12-26-2005 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.cnet.com

[/ QUOTE ]

www.avsforum.com is the 2+2 of Audio/Visual gear.

it's the best place to study specific sets and technologies

busguy 12-26-2005 01:01 PM

If you are interested in the 50" Sony LCD rear projection . . .

Costco has the previous year's (2004/2005) version of the one recommended by shant and fluxrad above. I'm pretty sure I saw them at the Burnaby location for $2399 Cdn.

After reading this thread, I picked one up in July from Future Shop for $2200 and change and absolutely love the thing.

busguy

pyroponic 12-26-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.cnet.com

[/ QUOTE ]

www.avsforum.com is the 2+2 of Audio/Visual gear.

it's the best place to study specific sets and technologies

[/ QUOTE ]

AVSFORUM is for fish, check out HT Guide