Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Flip-flops: are we done with them yet? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403313)

private joker 12-22-2005 06:54 AM

Flip-flops: are we done with them yet?

I don't write too many rant posts, but I've had it with these goddam flip-flops everyone is wearing. Since when did a whole nation of white guys decide they were going to the beach? It's the end of friggin' December and people are still walking around in these creepy toenail-exposing foot-thongs.

For the guys: nobody wants to see your nasty feet; there's hair on the toe knuckles and usually some sort of gunk under the nails. Furthermore, wearing them with a dress shirt and jeans makes it look like you lost your shoes on the short bus. Invest in some socks and closed shoes for the love of Christ.

For the girls: there are plenty of open-toed sandals and shoes you look cute in. Rubber pads under your feet with a piece of plastic rammed between your big and second toe do not make you more attractive. Even if you have a sundress or tank and mini on with it. I'll let you get away with them sometimes, and I guess here in Los Angeles a chick can wear flip-flops if really dressed down -- but don't go to the f*cking White House in them like that volleyball team did.

If you just got out of the shower, take a minute to tie some laces before you walk out of the house. If you're in my office, you should be in a pair of socks. I've seen dudes in sweaters and slacks show up with black flip-flops and actually expect to get respect around their workplace. No respect for you and your hangnail, beach bum. Why don't you just wear cotton bath slippers while you're at it? How about a Speedo and a towel around your neck too?

Goddammit. Stop with the flip-flops unless there's sand or carpet beneath them. You look like a jackass and I certainly don't need to hear the sound of them scraping the ground everywhere you walk. Even moccasins would be better.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

New001 12-22-2005 06:54 AM

Re: Flip-flops: are we done with them yet?

I just hate the goddamn sound they make.

12-22-2005 07:00 AM

excellent post. i agree.

Evan 12-22-2005 07:02 AM

I wore them pretty much all summer while I was in Santa Cruz. I agree that if you're going to work or any place where you're making an impression that matters they are inappropriate, but since I don't have to do that for months at a time they're actually pretty useful/comfortable.

Blarg 12-22-2005 07:02 AM

They're standard throughout Asia and the Pacific -- Micronesia, Polynesia. They're perfect for places too hot and humid to feel comfortable wearing shoes and socks(yep, plenty of places are just that hot), but where nobody wants you to leave your foot sweat and gunk on their floors, and even the truly leather-footed locals like a little protection sometimes.

I don't mind seeing people's feet and did so all my growing up years in the Pacific. I don't get the erotic charge out of it some people do, though, maybe because I'm so used to seeing them. Feet are just feet. Hair on toes? About as startling or repulsive as hair on the back of someone's hands. I'm going to reach a little farther than that to find things to get repulsed about.

As for awful looking toenails, wearing shoes is approximately infinitely more likely to result in toenail and other foot problems, as you don't get any air and your feet are crammed into a tight space with pressure put on the sides with every step, and your sweat-soaked socks breeding whatever those things breed crammed in there with you for hours. You can even tell "haole feet" if you're from the pacific because people often have crushed together, misshapen toes from growing up having them in shoes. Not healthy and not good. Plus, having your toes in shoes means you're less likely to watch their appearance, because nobody can see them.

I agree with you that flip-flops are not preferred footwear for visiting the Whitehouse. They are not appropriate for some other places too.

As far as them being basically banished, that's silly. Believe me, if you live in hot places, they're a godsend, and if you didn't wear them too, you'd be the sucker, not the rest of the population. One thing people who are professionals love about Hawaii is that much of the professional and business culture there finds it perfectly acceptable to not wear idiotic things Americans burden themselves with like neckties, and long-sleeved shirts and jackets no matter how brutally hot it is and how much you're roasting alive in your own stink inside them.

See? It works both ways.

private joker 12-22-2005 07:15 AM

Well I'm not talking about Malaysia. I'm talking about the United States. The dudes who are wearing flip-flops with their sweaters and jeans would not be wearing sweaters and jeans in tropical climates. They'd have tank tops and shorts on, and thus flip-flops would look a lot better. It's the dress shirt + jeans + flip-flops look I was really targeting, Blarg.

Brainwalter 12-22-2005 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't write too many rant posts, but I've had it with these goddam flip-flops everyone is wearing. Since when did a whole nation of white guys decide they were going to the beach? It's the end of friggin' December and people are still walking around in these creepy toenail-exposing foot-thongs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a nation, just a state.

lastchance 12-22-2005 07:23 AM

Go down to California, and it should be standard (during summer time).

In winter time, yeah, flip-flops = jopke, but I agree with Blarg here on every point.

Shoes are good, but flip-flops = +EV in hot weather, massive +EV.

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-22-2005 09:02 AM

I like my flip-flops...And I like wearing them with jeans sometimes too!

12-22-2005 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I didnt live in Boston where is is 20 out right now I would be wearing my flip-flops.

I love mine in the summer because of one thing, they have a bottle opener on the bottom of each shoe. Best thing when you are sailing!
http://www.paradiseclothingco.com/pr...ng_BTA_400.jpg
http://www.paradiseclothingco.com/pr...g_GRN_OPNR.jpg

Slow Play Ray 12-22-2005 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I didnt live in Boston where is is 20 out right now I would be wearing my flip-flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if these count as flip-flops since they don't have the toe-thong, but I bought 3 pairs because they friggin rule:

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/shoes_ia44504.jpg

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-22-2005 09:37 AM

I'm gonna ask for these for my birthday...

12-22-2005 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna ask for these for my birthday...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a word of warning - If you happen to step in dog doo, it's a BITCH to get it out of the opener. Other than that they are the most comfortable flip flop I've worn.

Danenania 12-22-2005 09:42 AM

Who even thinks to get annoyed by something like this?

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-22-2005 09:43 AM

Fair warning, thanks. I suppose the same applies for mud which I'd probably step in before crap. Although, it's not quite as disgusting.

Gunny Highway 12-22-2005 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best thing when you are sailing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a flip flop guy myself, but I don't care what anyone else wears. I mean to each his own, but anyone that wears these while sailing is just to stupid to ever set foot on a boat.

12-22-2005 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best thing when you are sailing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a flip flop guy myself, but I don't care what anyone else wears. I mean to each his own, but anyone that wears these while sailing is just to stupid to ever set foot on a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you got me, why is that. I mean I've only been sailing for 15 years and I have 5 boats....what am I missing?

Gunny Highway 12-22-2005 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok you got me, why is that. I mean I've only been sailing for 15 years and I have 5 boats....what am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been sailing for over 30 years, and I'm surprised that any experienced sailor would allow someone to wear flip flops on his boat, much less do it himself. It's just dangerous in my opinion. But I guess I was overly harsh in my previous post. Apologies. I'm feeling old and grouchy today.

edit: By the way, what kind of sailing do you do, and what kind of boats have you got?

12-22-2005 10:24 AM

NP - When I am racing I wear proper shoes but for the "after work, grab a beer and sail for a few before the sun goes down" day, which is most of my sailing these days, I have my flip flops on.

The big boat (which is not that big) is a 1967 20 foot Raven. Fast as hell and a great day sailor. The rest of the boats are a collection of boats my family and I make. I have three nutshell prams, a sea kyack, and we are just finishing up a one, the name is escaping me, but it's an 18 footer. I can't wait to take it out

The Raven - the one with the cover and the flag on the mast
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dsidepark5.jpg

The Nutshell Prams
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...throp_Cove.jpg

surfinillini 12-22-2005 10:26 AM

i have a pair of rainbow flip flops, 100% leather, had them for about 3 years now,

I absolutely love them...wear them everywhere except work/gym/bars usually

istewart 12-22-2005 10:28 AM

I disagree re: them being bad on all girls, but the rest of the post is spot on.

manpower 12-22-2005 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been sailing for over 30 years, and I'm surprised that any experienced sailor would allow someone to wear flip flops on his boat, much less do it himself. It's just dangerous in my opinion. But I guess I was overly harsh in my previous post. Apologies. I'm feeling old and grouchy today.

edit: By the way, what kind of sailing do you do, and what kind of boats have you got?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Sailing can get dangerous, but there are plenty of days where it's just hot and light winds.

That said, I've been wearing them for 20 years and I'm not stopping just because of some stupid trend.

ChipWrecked 12-22-2005 10:36 AM

I blew one out in downtown Atlanta one day and had an ugly hour or two with bleeding toes trying to get home. I haven't worn them daily since. I do live in my Tevas unless I'm at work though.

Big Bend 12-22-2005 11:01 AM

Private, you are a joker. I love my flip flops and wear them 365 days even when its cold outside. I don't look at your big ugly nose, you don't look at my feet OK?

Teva makes the most comfortable ones in the world btw...

L8r... BB

Alobar 12-22-2005 01:49 PM

I wear flip flops all year round, and thats pretty much all I wear. Tying shoe laces and doing sock laundry is for suckers. I dont really have to worry about if its in style or whatever, because thats what everyone wears out here, but even if it wasnt, its so comfortable and convienent that I wouldnt care if the toolish fashion police thought it was dumb, i'd still be doing it.

HDPM 12-22-2005 02:15 PM

A voice of reason. Last week it was single digit temps here and women/girls were wearing them Christmas shopping with parkas. Crazy. And no, of course they weren't the women who look OK in flip flops in the summer. Nothing better than premium $3 flip flops on nasty feet in december.

SackUp 12-22-2005 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wear flip flops all year round, and thats pretty much all I wear. Tying shoe laces and doing sock laundry is for suckers. I dont really have to worry about if its in style or whatever, because thats what everyone wears out here, but even if it wasnt, its so comfortable and convienent that I wouldnt care if the toolish fashion police thought it was dumb, i'd still be doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I live in SD. Why would I need to wear shoes?? Flip flops are the most comfortable thing in the world and I'll rock them any chance I get. Of course when I go out some where nice I sport shoes, but otherwise its Reefs only for me.

HDPM 12-22-2005 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I live in SD. Why would I need to wear shoes?? Flip flops are the most comfortable thing in the world and I'll rock them any chance I get. Of course when I go out some where nice I sport shoes, but otherwise its Reefs only for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

South Dakota? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-22-2005 02:33 PM

I agree.

I'd also call for the halt of 18-23 year old male mammals usage (and misusage) of the word "random". I see the word used all over 2+2 as well as on "MTV", etc.

People, there are other words besides "random"! Most of the time saying random doesn't even make sense!

Like this kid last night on "Homewrecker", he comes home and cameras are in his house. He says, "Wow. This is random."

WTF? No, it's not "random." you dumb $&#^!

Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

12-22-2005 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but don't go to the f*cking White House in them like that volleyball team did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werent they a lacrosse team?

HDPM 12-22-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but don't go to the f*cking White House in them like that volleyball team did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werent they a lacrosse team?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but so what. The scandal is that the coach wasn't fired and the players expelled for that stunt. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

private joker 12-22-2005 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flip flops are the most comfortable thing in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another thing I don't get. The proponents of these ghastly foot debacles always talk about how comfortable they are. I've never found this to be true. First of all, the thing yanking your first two toes apart is pretty painful. Secondly, you have to walk in a certain fashion so they don't slip off your feet. Thirdly, you can't ever jog or quickly side step something if you have to. Like if you're walking across the street and a taxi spins around the corner and you have to leap out of the way -- your flip-flops are gone and you're barefoot the rest of the day.

tdarko 12-22-2005 04:49 PM

when its 100+ in texas and 100+ degrees down by mexico with humidity that will take your breath away i will refuse to wear socks and shoes. period. if the cement didn't fry my feet i wouldn't wear sandles, but flip flops will have to do.

i agree that they aren't appropriate in the workplace but to get mad at people that wear them in general is strange.

private joker 12-22-2005 04:59 PM

But do you wear them with long-sleeve shirts and jeans/slacks? If so, why would you be in long-sleeve shirts and jeans in 100+ degrees w/ humidity?

Reef 12-22-2005 04:59 PM

Reef's and other slippers are +EV - especially when in Hawaii (like I am now)

spsurfin_Michael 12-22-2005 05:16 PM

In Hawaii they are called slippers. Nuff said.

SackUp 12-22-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another thing I don't get. The proponents of these ghastly foot debacles always talk about how comfortable they are. I've never found this to be true. First of all, the thing yanking your first two toes apart is pretty painful. Secondly, you have to walk in a certain fashion so they don't slip off your feet. Thirdly, you can't ever jog or quickly side step something if you have to. Like if you're walking across the street and a taxi spins around the corner and you have to leap out of the way -- your flip-flops are gone and you're barefoot the rest of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get some different flip flops and not the $2.99 from wal-mart then. Get some Reefs or some Rainbows and wear them for a little while. Maybe I'm just used to them as I've been wearing them my whole life but I find them EXTREMELY comfortable (don't even notice the toe spreading), I walk normally with them, I can jog or run in them if need be (obviously not as well as shoes, but more than sufficient), and I never lose my sandals dodging taxis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing that I can find a little annoying about them is when they sometimes decide to squeek when you walk, but that can typically be easily remedied.

Alobar 12-22-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get some different flip flops and not the $2.99 from wal-mart then. Get some Reefs or some Rainbows and wear them for a little while. Maybe I'm just used to them as I've been wearing them my whole life but I find them EXTREMELY comfortable (don't even notice the toe spreading), I walk normally with them, I can jog or run in them if need be (obviously not as well as shoes, but more than sufficient), and I never lose my sandals dodging taxis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing that I can find a little annoying about them is when they sometimes decide to squeek when you walk, but that can typically be easily remedied.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I have no problem with this either. Ive even played basketball in flip flops, and have run across streets many times in them, and never have had them fall off.

Yanking your toes apart? Were they surgically attached together or something?

Blarg 12-22-2005 05:38 PM

Just slip your foot a little bit back when you're sitting down and they don't dig in. Plus you can even take them off if you like, and just use them as a rest for your feet when sitting. Even cooler. When walking, don't stomp like Frankenstein I guess. I grew up wearing them so I can't remember there being a learning process to any of that, but maybe there is.

You can sometimes slip and twist in them, that's true enough. Sometimes they can catch om something and trip you. Doesn't happen much. They can leave a black V where the straps cross over to the space between your big toe and second toe, if you get your feet wet or just get dust or sweat on your feet. Wash it off.

All in all, they're pretty great for hot and humid weather, whereas shoes can be anything from uncomfortable to miserable. You store up, or let off, a LOT of heat in your feat. Especially when wrapped up not only in the heavy material of a shoe but blanketed even further by a sock. Those toes start roasting, and slip in their slime...ugh. And the rest of your sock blanketing your shin...more hot sticky blecch.

lu_hawk 12-22-2005 05:43 PM

I agree with what you are saying. To satisfy the people in hot climates you need to say that flip flops are ok when you are wearing shorts. If you are wearing pants and flip flops then you look like a douche.