Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   99 UTG vs. TAG UTG1 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407245)

12-29-2005 05:28 PM

99 UTG vs. TAG UTG1

UTG1 is 17/5/4 w/70 hands.

I limp with 99 UTG and get raised. UTG1 has been catching cards and jamming the pot when he gets involved.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Rag flop, I have an overpair so I lead. No one folds to the raise right?

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I'm either ahead of AK/Q KQ or behind a premium pair. c/c.

River: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I hated this call. Anyone find a solid fold anywhere? 99 is a standard limp for me unless there has been heavy raising action going on, which there hadn't been here.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

kleinstadt1 12-29-2005 05:32 PM

Re: 99 UTG vs. TAG UTG1

The river call is fine. You're not calling the turn bet to draw to two outs. So if you think there's enough of a chance that you have the best hand to call the turn, then I think you commit yourself to calling the river.

12-29-2005 05:37 PM

What happened on the turn to make you slow down? What range of hands do you put the TAG on? Do you think he plays a big ace different here than TT? If you c/r him on the turn do you think he caps regardless of his hand or slows down? I've seen aggressive players play this same way with KQo so without a better read I tend to think you are ahead more often than you are behind.

milesdyson 12-29-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you think there's enough of a chance that you have the best hand to call the turn, then I think you commit yourself to calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
not if the guy will play the flop and turn like this with AQ/AK and then check through on the river...

12-29-2005 06:18 PM

PF - 99 is usually a limp for the reason seen here - you can call a raise OOP with a relatively good feeling.

Flop - given your read, I probably only call the raise, but am tempted to 3 bet here where it is cheaper than the turn. I think I'm still ahead here.

Turn - if I called his flop raise, I bet again. If I 3 bet the flop and got capped, I check here.

Riv - as played, I check/call. I think a more aggressive line earlier may give you a better decision on the riv.

By your commentary, I take it you lost. I think you win here most (&gt;65%) of the time.

12-29-2005 06:44 PM

preflop:I would raise against a TAG player here, that way you don't invite him to play aggressively cheaply since he'll need to 3 bet you here to show aggression. Not raising here gives him a wider range of hands to play. Makes it tough to know where you stand.

flop: It's very tough to tell where stand on the flop here. He could pocket 8s for all you know but in any case your 9 outs are probably still good. Those are outs you are a paying a lot for here.

turn:good check/call mode here, if you spike a nine on the river,you can get him for extra bets. You're probably gonna call any river card though, except maybe the flush card, but I wouldn't neccessarily give him credit for that either.

River: He seems like he's value betting his hand here, I don't know if he pumps the pot like he did, pure bluffing, but you might as well call just to be sure. Only a really bad player would try to pure bluff here, someone losing money left and right. It's also safe to fold, pretend you were on a club draw, and give him credit for a made hand. Thats a good hand to learn from. Either way at this point folding is probably slightly less -EV than calling.

milesdyson 12-29-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way at this point folding is probably slightly less -EV than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
if calling is negative EV, folding is always less negative EV (meaning more positive) EV than calling, because zero is more positive than any negative number

henkeee 12-29-2005 07:03 PM

Wouldn't it be better to c/r the flop and lead the turn? I think it represents a stronger hand from our side! If we do that we could probably lay the hand down if he plays back, right?

Buckmulligan 12-29-2005 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river call is fine. You're not calling the turn bet to draw to two outs. So if you think there's enough of a chance that you have the best hand to call the turn, then I think you commit yourself to calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The river bet makes a lot of overcard hands like AK and AQ that were earlier possible a lot less likely.

I think the river call is slightly -EV given the pretty shabby way you played the hand.

12-29-2005 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river call is slightly -EV given the <u>pretty shabby way you played the hand</u>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where and why?