Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Playing scared (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405195)

7ontheline 12-26-2005 01:35 AM

Playing scared

Villain in this hand is unknown. He had tightish stats over a very small sample, but I've barely played an orbit with him. Anyway, I thought about capping PF but I figured a SB 3-bet of my UTG raise from someone I didn't know for sure was a complete donk ought to be respected some.

My questions are postflop anyway - should I have raised somewhere? I called the flop planning to raise the turn, but it was a really ugly turn card so I resorted to calling down. In retrospect, I don't know why I thought just calling the flop was a good plan.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Lmn55d 12-26-2005 01:41 AM

Re: Playing scared

[ QUOTE ]
I called the flop planning to raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's tight, I would not raise the turn. You are behind AA,AK,AQ, and QQ. There's really no reason to raise. It just punishes you when you're behind and will likely cause pocket pairs below queens to fold.

I'd probably play it like you did, but if you know he's tight and solid the turn looks like a fold. The K (particularly the K of hearts) is a horrible card for you.

7ontheline 12-26-2005 01:45 AM

Well, at this point consider him an unknown, not necessarily tight and solid. I was giving him a wider range on his 3-bet than just super-premium hands. That K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was indeed terrible though.

12-26-2005 04:28 AM

Yeah. It'd take a very large tight sample size for me to lay this down against Party 6max players.

flawless_victory 12-26-2005 09:28 AM

i would not consider raising the turn... folding, however, i would strongly consider.

imitation 12-26-2005 09:38 AM

raising anywhere would let a worse hand off, I like your play I would consider only folding on the river actually because with a 3 flush on board alot of QK pairs will bet because they don't want to give a heart or J a free card here.