Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Is it wrong to .... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319132)

08-20-2005 05:39 AM

Is it wrong to ....

These posts about morality has reminded me of an interesting debate that occured in a Ethics class of mine. Our Professor asked if it was wrong to have sex with a dead body. Now, the thought of necrophilia is disturbing to most people, but it seems only out of taste. No one in class could come up with a valid argument against necrophilia and I would like to hear your thoughts on whether this act is wrong. I came up with one which I felt was rather weak but it was still the best that came up. So... your thoughts.

spaminator101 08-20-2005 12:56 PM

Re: Is it wrong to ....

thats so sick i dont see how any one could do it

djj6835 08-20-2005 02:30 PM

So no one thought it is morally wrong to disturb a dead body. I'm sure the family members of the deceased will disagree. I fail to see how it is not only disgusting but morally wrong for obvious reasons. I think most people would agree that any disturbance of a dead body is morally wrong whether it's a grav robber digging up a grave, or a person having sex with a dead body.

08-20-2005 02:34 PM

I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with disturbing a dead body. In fact, I don't really understand the notion that saving old cemeteries is somehow the right thing to do.

But, there's a simple reason that sex with a dead body is wrong: there's no chance of procreation. Isn't any sex that is not intended for procreation immoral?

fluxrad 08-20-2005 02:37 PM

The only question this raises is: Are you still *you* even though you're dead?

As a case in point, scores of people have been clinically dead for some period of time and then been either recussitated or come about by some other means. Assuming it's rape before and after they're "clinically dead," Why would it not be such during their brief period of death? You can see how this logically leads us down the road to the question: When does a person cease to be a person?

I submit, however, we should keep it illegal for a very simple reason. It's just goddamned nasty.

FlFishOn 08-20-2005 03:00 PM

"No one in class could come up with a valid argument against necrophilia..."

Sad indeed. Moral relativism has taken root in a big way. It can prove to be the undoing of western society.

fluxrad 08-20-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"No one in class could come up with a valid argument against necrophilia..."

Sad indeed. Moral relativism has taken root in a big way. It can prove to be the undoing of western society.

[/ QUOTE ]

><>

chezlaw 08-20-2005 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't any sex that is not intended for procreation immoral?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's hoping for lots more immorality for me.

chez

08-20-2005 10:45 PM

I'm gonna say it's not wrong, as long as you know no one else will find out about it

Zygote 08-21-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So... your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not morally wrong and no one will be able to prove otherwise.