Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   You know you're on tilt, and now... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345549)

09-27-2005 03:36 PM

You know you\'re on tilt, and now...

You are in late position and suddenly it hits you - you are on tilt and costing yourself money. Is it still worth it to play out your free hands? How bad does your tilt have to be in order for you not to? What is your strategy for playing these hands if you choose to stay?

Dov 09-27-2005 03:53 PM

Re: You know you\'re on tilt, and now...

Quit now. You will definitely lose money by staying.

If you can't quit, don't play anything but big pairs - QQ+. Quit on your blind.

wildzer0 09-27-2005 03:58 PM

When I realize I'm badly on tilt, I'll quit immediately. My "free hands" turn into very expensive hands otherwise.

09-27-2005 04:43 PM

You leave. Immediately. Why get into "free hands" when you are hemmoraging money each hand you play?

Nigel 09-27-2005 04:45 PM

How is it even possible to go on tilt that badly??

Al Schoonmaker 09-27-2005 04:49 PM

When you realize that you are on tilt, GO HOME.

Pay no attention to the "loss" of the free blinds. The free hands can easily cause you to lose more money and get further off balance. You may then become unable to leave because you feel that you must get your money back.

If you absolutely can't bring yourself to go before the blinds get to you, play only premium cards.

Regards,

Al

KramerTM 09-27-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you absolutely can't bring yourself to go before the blinds get to you, play only premium cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't the tilt preclude this from happening??

I'm sorry, but if you have enough discipline while tilting to tighten up your starting hand standards, then you should also have enough self-control to stay and win at the game.

FWIW, I'm not advocating staying at the game. I'm simply pointing out that it is a little asburd to assume that someone can tighten up their starting requirements while in the midst of a tilt.

mosquito 09-27-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are in late position and suddenly it hits you - you are on tilt and costing yourself money. Is it still worth it to play out your free hands? How bad does your tilt have to be in order for you not to? What is your strategy for playing these hands if you choose to stay?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I know I'm on tilt, then maybe I can correct the
problem. Depends why/how bad I'm on tilt.

Quitting is not obvious here, just an option. Playing
only to get the free hands is probably wrong, though.

If I stay just for the freebies, I would probably only
play premium hands, and in a standard way. (don't try
anything 'funny').

smartalecc5 09-27-2005 07:40 PM

exactly dude [ I'm simply pointing out that it is a little asburd to assume that someone can tighten up their starting requirements while in the midst of a tilt.

Everyone is saying "While on tilt just play great premium starting hands."

is that not the antithesis of what tilt truly is?

KramerTM 09-27-2005 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
exactly dude [ I'm simply pointing out that it is a little asburd to assume that someone can tighten up their starting requirements while in the midst of a tilt.

Everyone is saying "While on tilt just play great premium starting hands."

is that not the antithesis of what tilt truly is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... in fact, "While on tilt just play great premium starting hands" sounds to me like the punchline of a joke.