Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   A quick question for college students about encouragment (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356461)

jason_t 10-12-2005 10:29 PM

A quick question for college students about encouragment

Suppose that you are taking a difficult course in your major field of study. The instructor hands back to you your first graded assignment with the following note.

Dear John,

You will need to invest more effort in this class if you want to succeed in it. The level of effort put into this solution set simply is not and will not be acceptable.

Very sincerely,

Jason.

How would it make you feel? Is there something the instructor could write that would encourage you? How about if I put a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] at the end?

jakethebake 10-12-2005 10:30 PM

Re: A quick question for college students about encouragment

[ QUOTE ]
How about if I put a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

InchoateHand 10-12-2005 10:31 PM

I'd be fine, as long as I had also cultivated a faculty member to pick-me-up.

I like the tripartite arrangement---one to kick your ass, one to explain your ass and one to kiss your ass.

However, its also not professor's jobs to be particularly encouraging. Presumedly people in college can try all by themselves.

fluxrad 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

That's pretty harsh on a first graded assignment.

smurfitup 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

if what he said was true, i'd probably just be disappointed in myself, but would want to show him my capabilities.. if he said something to the effect of "you're obviously bright, just lazy, blah, blah" i'd take it as encouragement and try to reach my potential, i guess. a note like that shouldn't discourage you too much, esp. since the school year just started.

Bradyams 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

That sounds like a fair warning that if he doesn't put forth more effort he'll probably fail the course. If he cares he'll take this as encouragement, if not then it's his loss.

partygirluk 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

You should chuck in a 'ysscky'

theben 10-12-2005 10:33 PM

you must have really slacked off. if a teacher is going to write that note, i think it should be a wake up call that your are being a bum. get your stuff together. GPA isnt much, but you should have a 3/4.0, preferably a 3.5/4.0 to be taken seriously

CardSharpCook 10-12-2005 10:34 PM

25, out of school.

Well, I'd have to imagine that the note would be "true", so I'd get very red and avoid eye contact for a few days while also studying a bit more and trying to do much better next time. Jason, are you a teacher? Age/subject? Also, I expect to hear how this ended.

PoBoy321 10-12-2005 10:34 PM

I had the same situation come up about a week ago. I went, talked to my prof and we discussed what the problem was and how I needed to improve. It really wasn't a big deal, but I'm definitely taking the course more seriously now.

EDIT: I'm dense and didn't realize that this was a note you were writing to the student. Make sure that the student comes and talks to you because you don't want him to go in the opposite direction and become less involved in the course.