Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Flop a Set (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396366)

12-11-2005 08:20 PM

Flop a Set

Any comments on this hand . . . agai no reads sorry not enough data in my PT yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i think I should have raised the flop. (went for overcalls) My question is mainly the turn: What is best here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

12-11-2005 08:22 PM

Re: Flop a Set

Raise the flop.

UCLAseetoK 12-11-2005 08:37 PM

Raise the flop on THAT board. draws will be calling the raise anyway, and you need to get more of their money in the pot.

if board is say A 8 4 monotone, then consider just calling the flop.

Harv72b 12-11-2005 08:49 PM

You didn't mention anything about the table conditions (generally loose/passive?), but this is a pretty standard preflop fold vs. an UTG raise when it's folded to you in MP3. You need a large field to shoot for your set when there's a raise...or a read that the PFR will overplay his whatever it is very badly postflop when you do catch.

You have to raise the flop. You're not getting rid of a flush draw, obviously, but you can make it incorrect for someone holding a 2 or 5 to call. And, of course, you don't mind the flush draws calling because you're going to win the pot more often than they are.

W. Deranged 12-11-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't mention anything about the table conditions (generally loose/passive?), but this is a pretty standard preflop fold vs. an UTG raise when it's folded to you in MP3. You need a large field to shoot for your set when there's a raise...or a read that the PFR will overplay his whatever it is very badly postflop when you do catch.

You have to raise the flop. You're not getting rid of a flush draw, obviously, but you can make it incorrect for someone holding a 2 or 5 to call. And, of course, you don't mind the flush draws calling because you're going to win the pot more often than they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this.

12-11-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't mention anything about the table conditions.

You have to raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on this hand . . . again no reads sorry not enough data in my PT yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i think I should have raised the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any comments on the turn or the river?

Harv72b 12-11-2005 10:26 PM

Reads are different than table conditions--you can recognize that a table is playing loose/passive much more quickly than you can assign that label to an individual player. That's what I meant.

Given the way you played the flop, the turn &amp; river are pretty much standard. You can't fold the turn with so many outs against even a made straight or flush, and there's no way I even consider folding the river to an unknown, for 1 bet. Actually, the turn &amp; river are pretty much standard no matter how you play the flop.

silkyslim 12-11-2005 10:32 PM

raise the flop, this should be in your "standard box"