Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   but it's my button! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=39198)

bad beetz 07-11-2003 04:30 AM

but it\'s my button!

15/30

A bunch of people limp.

Ulysses calls a full bet on the button with 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

come on, guys. Let him have it. He needs it.

Rick Nebiolo 07-11-2003 05:01 AM

Re: but it\'s my button!

beetz,

make the hand a 5d 3d instead and i like the call a lot better than with A6 offsuit. as mason would say, do you see why?

~ rick

Ulysses 07-11-2003 05:05 AM

Dude, I am good at poker. (nm)

haakee 07-11-2003 05:16 AM

Looks like a -EV call to me even assuming your competition is poor and your postflop skillz are good.

Tommy Angelo 07-11-2003 03:34 PM

"Ulysses calls a full bet on the button with 5-2."

That you care tells me that he owns you.

Mike Gallo 07-11-2003 03:48 PM

Did he flop a wheen with the straight flush draw?

He could have raised and really attacked your button.

DaBartman 07-11-2003 03:49 PM

Re: Dude, I am good at poker. (nm)

U,
Contrary to popular belief, the button does not convey magical powers.

bad beetz 07-11-2003 04:10 PM

results

ulysses scoops big ass pot.

So here's the deal. Ulysses is undoubtedly better at post flop play than I or 98% of the people that play in that $15/$30 game. In addition to that, he has a wealth of knowledge about player tendencies because the players in that game from from a pool of 30 frequents and he knows them all. Additionally, Ulysses earns a big bet an hour in that game with enough hours to make that number correct within a buck with 95% confidence.

The thing is, I think if he tightened up he'd earn even more.

He also gets more action than I do in that game.

Ulysses 07-11-2003 04:28 PM

Re: results

The thing is, I think if he tightened up he'd earn even more.
Perhaps, but I'd probably have less fun.

He also gets more action than I do in that game.
So perhaps that first statement might not be correct.

Ulysses is undoubtedly better at post flop play than I or 98% of the people that play in that $15/$30 game.
Yeah, 98% sounds about right. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

ulysses scoops big ass pot.
Oh, come on, it was a small pot. For those who care about the gory details:

A couple of morons limp pre-flop. I feel like playing and think that given this particular lineup of players at this particular time, a somewhat unorthodox button limp from me will be the most powerful move giving me the most options post-flop. But mainly, I just feel like playing.

So, I call and see a flop of something like 6d7d8h. (4 flush + OE straight draw). Checked to me, I bet, 3 call.

The turn is 9d. Checked to me. I bet, 2 call.

The river is Th, putting a straight on the board. Checked to me. I suspect that someone might have a Jack for a higher straight, but on the other hand I think they probably would have just come out and bet that. Anyway, I don't really care since I have a flush. I bet, both call. As per plan, my hand is good.

Ulysses 07-11-2003 04:39 PM

On getting action

Another poster here (I won't mention his name, but his username intials are J.A.Sucker) and I were discussing the following:

When I raise pre-flop w/ AK and AQ and totally miss the flop, I'm much more prone to check than he is. He has a more aggressive style in certain other areas as well. Because of this, I'm able to bluff a few more pots than he is. But when he hits, he gets a little more action than I do (even though he probably plays a little tighter than I do).

So who comes out ahead? Well, in the end, we don't think it really matters. If you're super-tight and not overly aggressive, you'll get less action, but you can bluff a few extra times to make up for that. If you're a little looser or a little more aggressive, you'll get called down and lose to marginal hands more, but you can make up for that with some extra 3 and 4-bets along the way.

In the end, as long as you're making relatively reasonable decisions pre-flop and playing well post-flop, I suspect the exact details on both fronts probably don't really matter as much as we sometimes think they do.