Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A hand from 5/10 NL 6 handed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355537)

alt0m 10-11-2005 06:20 PM

A hand from 5/10 NL 6 handed

My friend and I had a disagreement about this hand that came up playing online.
you are playing at a full 6 handed 5/10 NL.
You start the hand with $1000 and both relevant players have you covered.
You have the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 in the cutoff seat.
you have been playing tight so you decide to raise the pot to $35, the next player, who seems to be solid,raises to $80 on the button, the semi loose Big Blind calls and you also decide to call.
The Flop is [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6.
The BB bets out $200 into the $245 pot.
What do you do and why?

norwegian_viking 10-11-2005 10:01 PM

Re: A hand from 5/10 NL 6 handed

i think i would fold in that spot, the BB play look like a powerhand or flushdraw, and you got a man behind that also got a hand. So on a great day, i pass it. On a bad day, im all in

Avivs 10-13-2005 12:47 PM

It's clear to move all in.
I run some simulations with possible hands that might call the all in and found out that the only time you are a big underdog is when both opponents call and one of them has a better hand than yours on the flop (like AQ or a high pocket pair) and the other has a better flush & straight draw like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
In all other scenarios you are either in a coin flip situation when you get only one caller or the clear favorite if both opponents call without a better flush draw.
Obviously the best case scenario is when both of them fold.
My simulation showed that moving all in has a +$200 EV.

amoeba 10-13-2005 12:53 PM

how are you coinflip with a set?

ahnuld 10-13-2005 12:59 PM

I like calling and letting the prf in. I think you need to hit your hand here.

Avivs 10-13-2005 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how are you coinflip with a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
you are not, but against the range of hands that might call you you are either a small favourite or a small underdog, hence my definition of a coin flip.
also a set is not that likely when you are holding a ten, since the button is not likely to have 66 and BB is not likely to have QQ...

sawseech 10-13-2005 08:33 PM

i hope you didn't fold

aceferret 10-13-2005 10:38 PM

The flop clobbered you, raise all in. BB mostlikely has AQ or (possibly a set if he is a good player). Tight button has AA, KK.

Hope they fold, if you get a call you have outs against a set and are a small favorite against most hands.

Almtom 10-14-2005 03:02 PM

i would call here hope to get third player in.
about 50/50 but u probably cant bluff them off their hands so raising will only shut out one player.

tewall 10-14-2005 03:28 PM

I did some calculations and came with EV of about +$50. I'll have to relook the calculations. Maybe too conservative in assumptions (or maybe a goof).

It seems clear to me that moving all-in is +EV. The question is if it's better than calling. If it really is around +$250 EV, I don't see how calling could possibly beat that. OTOH if it's more like +$50, calling might be better.