Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Theory of Deception; A poll (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354706)

TaintedRogue 10-10-2005 05:44 PM

Theory of Deception; A poll

Definition: Deception in poker, is the art of playing your hand in a manner which is contrary to that which maximizes your +EV, which in theory, increases your opponent(s) chances of misplaying their hand and returning your lost EV from the deceptive play and earning you additional +EV through the subsequent mistakes of your opponents.

Vex 10-10-2005 06:29 PM

Re: Theory of Deception; A poll

[ QUOTE ]
Definition: Deception in poker, is the art of playing your hand in a manner which is contrary to that which maximizes your +EV, which in theory, increases your opponent(s) chances of misplaying their hand and returning your lost EV from the deceptive play and earning you additional +EV through the subsequent mistakes of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems with this definition is that is circularly references itself. If you are playing deceptively in order to maximize EV, and the definition of deception is playing in a manner that reduces EV, then you are at odds with yourself. Separating "EV without deception utilized" from "EV with deception utilized" would help here, but it would also make the definition wordier.

TheHammer24 10-11-2005 07:00 PM

I don't see how this isn't exact and complete?

It might not be a good strategy at SS, but it's the correct definition of deception.

TheGame1020 10-11-2005 08:07 PM

Go pens.

10-12-2005 02:05 AM

You have 3 completes and one worthless. I would say it is somewhere in between, but since that wasn't an option, I chose worthless.

ZeeJustin 10-12-2005 02:25 AM

deception

n 1: a misleading falsehood

TaintedRogue 10-12-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a definition in a poker book. Maybe I have and just don't remember. So, after reading a book that a chapter on deception, which was 7 pages long, I decided to give it a shot.

My foundation was based upon the definition I learned for accounting while in college:

Accounting is the art of classifying, recording and summarizing transactions and events, which are at least in part of a financial nature and interpreting the results thereof.

That is a lot shorter than mine, and it takes 4 years of college to fully understand accounting, as well as a CPA test, that many say is harder to pass than the BAR Exam, to be a fully accredited accountant.

I thought what I came up with was o.k. The definition, by itself does not explain deception, that would take pages, however, for those of us who know what it is and understand how we can maximize its use, as well as misplay it, I thought the definition pretty much said it all in a nutshell.

Oh well, the exercise was fun.

rikz 10-12-2005 03:58 PM

How about,

Deception in poker is any action that increases your opponents' chances of losing Sklansky bucks.

More seriously, maybe it would be easier to define by linking it more directly to the Fundamental Theory of Poker.

10-12-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen a definition in a poker book. Maybe I have and just don't remember. So, after reading a book that a chapter on deception, which was 7 pages long, I decided to give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Middle Limit Holdem?

TaintedRogue 10-13-2005 12:30 AM

correct..........good stuff