Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Portrait of a 5/10 Donk (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340979)

fyodor 09-20-2005 08:09 PM

Portrait of a 5/10 Donk

If I've got nothing but overcards and some unknown 5/10 donk checkraises me on the turn, there is an excellent chance I am folding. Good chance he's bluffing but King or Queen high doesn't beat some bluffs. When I have a pair it's a different story. I like to see what they are up to.

In this hand when I got cr'd I glanced at my stats on him and saw 27/19/2.4 which seems reasonable. I almost folded. Then I noticed this was based on 80 hands and he was new to the table. I didn't recognize him so likely datamined stats.

I decide to call. Good thing. He freaking cr'd me with Q high and no draw.

OK this could go in the l/c or even n/c dept. But I think it shows what kind of players a lot of these unknowns are.

Hands like this illustrate why in this game you can play in what a lot of authors would consider an unsound manner.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Qs 3s (two pair, eights and fours).
Hero has 9d 9h (two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.20 BB.

w_alloy 09-20-2005 10:30 PM

Re: Portrait of a 5/10 Donk

If you always lay this down without a pair, and always bet/bet overcards, and do not adjust (or always fold to the 1st person who does this), it is correct for him to c/r this turn every time. If you would lay down 99, then its not close.

fyodor 09-20-2005 11:33 PM

It would be correct if he knew I would fold that much. Unless he had been datamining me though, he wouldn't know that. Also, I do mix it up and will call down with sometimes less than Ace high if I think someone is starting to take advantage of me. I will even raise them back.

But the point of the post is that this donk (and by extension a lot of donks) was willing to do a complete bluff cr and then follow through on the river. And this against someone he probably knew nothing about.

So if you are considering a line against an unknown donk (like in this post from TJD) it's something to keep in mind.

Transference 09-20-2005 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hands like this illustrate why in this game you can play in what a lot of authors would consider an unsound manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, well we all know that this sort of play happens with some regularity. On this hand were particularily strong against a bluff, but are you suggesting this is a routine call down with A high?

I still don't have a good feel for how often an unknown will pull a turn bluff raise followed by a river bluff on a board like this, given that we need to win almost 1 in 4 im curious how others respond.

TazQ 09-21-2005 12:16 AM

It's not our fault you play weak tight and people take advantage of you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]