Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Jesus (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305514)

partygirluk 08-01-2005 07:21 PM

Jesus

So I don't really know much about this guy but I really dig The Sermon on The Mount and the whole dying for our sins thing was cool. I was wondering if there are any decent books out about him worth buying or if he was just a 2 hit-wonder type guy. Input anyone?

battschr 08-01-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Jesus

He's just a fictional character man.

TimM 08-01-2005 07:25 PM

Try this.

trying2learn 08-01-2005 07:26 PM

he's mocking the Oasis thread...and it's hilarious.

touchfaith 08-01-2005 07:29 PM

I just wish I had a nickel for every time some whore got knocked up by a roman soldier and didn't want to admit it.

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-01-2005 07:29 PM

Whoever moved this to The Trainwreck... brilliant!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 08-01-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus's existence is more or less proven historicaly

battschr 08-01-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is true.. I was thinking of God.

Soul Daddy 08-01-2005 07:56 PM

Brilliant

CallMeIshmael 08-01-2005 08:00 PM

Brilliant post

FreakDaddy 08-01-2005 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one is it, more or less? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Actually, if you're an archeologist, you better be Christian, or you're likely to get no funding(Hope you get this one). Christianity, in the current state it's in, depends on historical proofs in order to maintain its validity. Other religions don't have this problem. For instance, in Buddhism, if the Buddha really didn't exist, it doesn't change anything about Buddhism, but if Jesus didn't exist, the whole cookie crumbles.

BTW, there isn't really any historical evidence yet. There is a heavily debated shroud, and a passage in the Jewish historian Josephus accounts at the time. If you know of something else, please tell.

durron597 08-01-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brilliant post

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana 08-02-2005 10:34 AM

Jesus was da man...He's the only religious figure whose miracles were witnessed in the street AND WRITTEN DOWN by 1000s of people. Muhammad,Joseph Smith,Buddah, etc...These guys all saw something in the woods by themselves and nobody ever witnessed anything to write about them. Who u gonna believe?

Indy

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-02-2005 10:36 AM

Awwww... move it back to The Trainwreck!

ChipWrecked 08-02-2005 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus was da man...He's the only religious figure whose miracles were witnessed in the street AND WRITTEN DOWN by 1000s of people. Muhammad,Joseph Smith,Buddah, etc...These guys all saw something in the woods by themselves and nobody ever witnessed anything to write about them. Who u gonna believe?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Mohammed's wife whom he married when she was six wrote plenty about him.

Indiana 08-02-2005 10:48 AM

my wife thinks i'm great too. LA DE FREEKIN DA.

Actually, word on the street is that Muhammad's wife had to convince/validate him because he wasn't even sure that he had experienced a supernatural event.

Indy

ChipWrecked 08-02-2005 10:52 AM

I just take any opportunity I get to point that little factoid out.

And contrary to some statements, even 'back in the day', six years old was reeeeeeealy pushing it.

Indiana 08-02-2005 10:56 AM

6 yrs old? jeez, what a man of god.

Indy

08-02-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 yrs old? jeez, what a pedophile

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Saddlepoint 08-02-2005 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sold.

Edit: Oh my god you're serious...

turnipmonster 08-02-2005 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mohammed's wife whom he married when she was six wrote plenty about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

his first wife, who was the love if his life was older than him actually. apparently he did have multiple wives but most of them he married for political reasons.

jakethebake 08-02-2005 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awwww... move it back to The Trainwreck!

[/ QUOTE ]

trying2learn 08-02-2005 11:46 AM

what is going on with the mods?!

they move this instantly, because they don't get the joke...which actually creates AN EVEN BETTER JOKE.

then when they figure out what they've done...they move it back. i'm starting to lose faith in jesus...er...the mods.

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-02-2005 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is going on with the mods?!

they move this instantly, because they don't get the joke...which actually creates AN EVEN BETTER JOKE.

then when they figure out what they've done...they move it back. i'm starting to lose faith in jesus...er...the mods.

[/ QUOTE ]
PLUS... people start arguing about Mohammed and his wives in OOT!

DavidC 08-02-2005 02:45 PM

Well... I'm not sure that I really understand the dying for our sins thing, and I think the sermon on the mount (is this where he tells us to pray in our closets?) is kinda cool. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Read some Plato, read some CS Lewis, then read The Book of Matthew, and you should be on your way towards understanding Christian Philosophy. I've read bits and pieces of all of them, and if I had more motivation, I'd definitely read more.

FWIW, I came to philosophy and Plato through reading Ayn Rand, which has a very different outlook than the above authors.

--Dave.

DavidC 08-02-2005 02:46 PM

OOC, is this inspired by seeing a ton of religious people in Guatemala? Whats' going on?

--Dave.

DavidC 08-02-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is true.. I was thinking of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way off topic compared to the OP.

trying2learn 08-02-2005 02:48 PM

lol - this whole thread was a joke - and it gets better as people keep replying to it seriously.

DavidC 08-02-2005 02:50 PM

Someone please explain the joke, because I'm looking like a major tool right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I mean, is the joke that she's asking someone to say, "The Bible"? Which is kinda obvious but not really helpful...

trying2learn 08-02-2005 02:52 PM

search OOT for the recent thread titled, "Oasis". this will answer everything for you.

Stuey 08-02-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
search OOT for the recent thread titled, "Oasis". this will answer everything for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup that will explain almost everything. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Someone please explain the joke, because I'm looking like a major tool right now.

I mean, is the joke that she's asking someone to say, "The Bible"? Which is kinda obvious but not really helpful...

[/ QUOTE ]