Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   how many bets until you just call? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383525)

Dominic 11-22-2005 06:15 PM

how many bets until you just call?

Last night at the Wynn 15/30....my very first hand....

<WARNING - BAD BEAT ALERT!>

Folded to me in the CO...I raise AA....get 3-bet by the BB...I just call (I don't want him to slow down after the flop).

Garbage flop - 3c6c9c I have the Ace of clubs.

Bet, Raise, re-raise, I just call.

Turn is a blank.

Bet, raise, reraise, I just call again.

River is the 5c. Woo hoo!

Bet, raise, reraise...I reraise...he raises...I raise again...he raises again.

Wait a minute, let me check board again....uh huh, I have the nut flush, board isn't paired....I raise again.

He re-raises yet another time. I look at the board again. Okay, there IS a striaght flush possibility if the villain happens to have the 2c4c. But he three-bet pre-flop - he can't have that!

I re-raise. He raises AGAIN. Goddammit. Fine, I call, you fish.

He shows, yep - the 2c4c for a straight flush.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm a moron. Just thought I'd share.

11-22-2005 06:17 PM

Re: how many bets until you just call?

78 and 47 are also straight flushes. The question isn't "he can't have this" it's "how many bets does he put in with just the king".

ALL1N 11-22-2005 06:29 PM

etizzle 11-22-2005 06:42 PM

when he 3 bets the river you just call. Most b&m players are not 3 betting with the K.

TheWorstPlayer 11-22-2005 07:07 PM

A more interesting question is how many bets would you go with his hand here? I probably go 8 or 10 and then stop. In your position, I probably go 3 or 5.

PokerCad 11-22-2005 07:11 PM

In B&M he might 3 bet with a king but certainly no more without having the A beat,,PS, I went 7 once with the str8 flush b4 the villian surrendered,,hee hee

Ulysses 11-22-2005 07:12 PM

I would call the river 3-bet and expect to see 78c, not 24c.

captZEEbo1 11-22-2005 07:12 PM

how is this a bad beat? He had best hand except preflop

TheWorstPlayer 11-22-2005 07:13 PM

How many bets do you go here with 24c if you're villain? Only 4? Seems too weak.

Vincent Lepore 11-22-2005 07:27 PM

I had to read this because someone on another forum called you a great OOT poster. Obviously they were not referring to your poker posts.

Vince

Smoothcall 11-22-2005 07:27 PM

Yes you have the A of clubs. Thats a good hand. But its the one card flush. So it is obvious to him you have the A of clubs. You really think he will keep raisng with a worse hand. Unless he's drunk or a super fish you have to stop much sooner.

Vincent Lepore 11-22-2005 07:29 PM

C'mon give him a break. He had the Ace of clubs and was against a FISH! At least that's what he called the guy who had the best hand.

Vince

Dazarath 11-22-2005 07:53 PM

If the villain is willing to 3-bet 42s preflop, he may be willing to 3-bet the river with just the Kc. That said, there's no way I go as many bets as the OP did because it quickly becomes obvious that you have the Ac.

Dominic 11-22-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this a bad beat? He had best hand except preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL..I was being facetious - obviously, I played the hand horribly.

Dominic 11-22-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the river 3-bet and expect to see 78c, not 24c.

[/ QUOTE ]

i may have remembered the board wrong - from my recolection only the 2-4 of clubs would've made a SF...obviously that is not the case with the board I presented...sorry abvout that! i KNOW I would've seen the 7c8c a lot sooner....

Vincent Lepore 11-22-2005 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL..I was being facetious - obviously, I played the hand horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try. You no lie so good.

Vince

blumpkin22 11-22-2005 08:11 PM

Why is nobody mentioning the preflop 3-bet?

Still, you probably put in one too many raises.

Dominic 11-22-2005 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to read this because someone on another forum called you a great OOT poster. Obviously they were not referring to your poker posts.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

I never have claimed to be a great poker player, Vince. But I'm learning all the time and I'm getting better and better. That's why I read this forum and ask what i'm sure to many of you seasoned players deem to be "obvious" or "stupid" poker-related questions. But I don't mind because this is a part of my learning and growing as a player.

so if you want to insult me, you're going to have to do better than that.

Besides, I thought you had me on ignore....

Vincent Lepore 11-22-2005 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are much to funny to ignore. Besides insults are your bag, remember. I just thought that is where you got your kicks so I'm trying to help you feel at home.
I mean you do like to insult people you don't know when they post on the Gossip forum don't you? That's your bag isn't it? I'm not making that up am I? It's nice to divert the discussion from something that might interest you into a pissing contest. Don't you agree? That's what you did so I thought I'd return the favor. So stop whining and throw some insults back this way. I love it when you talk nasty!

Vince

Dominic 11-22-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are much to funny to ignore. Besides insults are your bag, remember. I just thought that is where you got your kicks so I'm trying to help you feel at home.
I mean you do like to insult people you don't know when they post on the Gossip forum don't you? That's your bag isn't it? I'm not making that up am I? It's nice to divert the discussion from something that might interest you into a pissing contest. Don't you agree? That's what you did so I thought I'd return the favor. So stop whining and throw some insults back this way. I love it when you talk nasty!

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

no thanks - that' what OOT is for. I'd much prefer you give me some decent poker advice, as you're a much more experienced player than I am.

But if you want to get into a pissing contest, just post something in OOT...I might oblige you or I might not. Depends on how interesting you are.

BreakfastBurrito 11-22-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i may have remembered the board wrong - from my recolection only the 2-4 of clubs would've made a SF...obviously that is not the case with the board I presented...sorry abvout that! i KNOW I would've seen the 7c8c a lot sooner....

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, 7c4c is always also going to make the straight flush as well considering you hold the Ac

Dazarath 11-22-2005 09:00 PM

My thoughts on the hand are that either calling the 3-bet or 4-betting and calling the 5-bet are both ok. Like I said earlier, if the player is willing to 3-bet 42s preflop, he may be willing to 3-bet the Kc on the river. Given that, once you 4-bet, only a complete moron wouldn't know that you have the Ac, so if he's still coming at you, just call.

One thought on the preflop situation. You need to cap. I believe it was flawless_victory who said this, but it was put really well. "I cap this everytime because my capping range here is so large." You shouldn't be afraid of slowing him down, because you should be capping more than just AA-JJ, AK here.. a lot more.

This sort of reminds me of a game I was playing with my roommates. We were playing 3-handed limit for kicks, and one of my roommates had a PFR on the button of almost 100%. All of a sudden, he open-limps on the button. Surprise, surprise, he showed a high pocket. This is such a poor playstyle because you're not taking advantage of the laggy plays you made earlier when you have an actual hand. You're getting your money in with the worst hands and not getting it in when you have the best of it.

Ulysses 11-22-2005 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many bets do you go here with 24c if you're villain? Only 4? Seems too weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd definitely go more than 4.

Ulysses 11-22-2005 09:16 PM

If only 24c makes a straight flush, then I would be likely to go at least one more bet (as opposed to just calling his 3-bet).

Dominic 11-22-2005 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, 7c4c is always also going to make the straight flush as well considering you hold the Ac

[/ QUOTE ]

i know...i may have missed the 7c4c...

11-22-2005 11:07 PM

Chloroform <sp>

I havent read the entire thread, but, If it hasn't already been mentioned I thought this guy had 7c 8c on the river. That was the only hand I could possibly see him trying to make a move with PF and then being able to bet the river like that. Wow, that was a huge pot. After it got to be 5 bets, i'd just call, because only idiots put in that many bets with hands that you beat. I dont fault you here, except for the last couple of bets though. Give the fish his chips and wait for him to spew them your way over the next couple of hours.....OH but WAIT! Let me guess....he got up and left the table after one more orbit and you were steaming like a locomotive.

Here's my plan....get some chloroform and follow him to his posh room at the Wynn...when he gets in the elevator I want you to knock him out with the chloroform, and make sure you have a tattoo gun handy. Take the tattoo gun and tattoo the deuce four of clubs on his fishy forehead. Then dress him up as a woman and when he's regaining consciousness, drop him off at a gay bar with a bottle of KY in one hand and a bottle of water loaded with roofies in the other.

Teach that yap to suck out on you.....

Man I need some help with this tilt thing....

I'm on tilt just from the story you told....

Where is this [censored]? Lets get him.

OOPS! That was me with the 2c 4c trying to make a move on your Aces.....NEVERMIND WHAT I SAID BEFORE.

Tex

Vincent Lepore 11-23-2005 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd much prefer you give me some decent poker advice, as you're a much more experienced player than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not serious. You are now talking like a mealy mouth loser. You're words were and I paraphrase "This moron (me) has never posted anything worth reading, ever". Now you ask for advice? Why? Don't you like it when someone trys to steal your thread with extraneous bull? Cmon Dom lets play.

Vince

flawless_victory 11-23-2005 12:58 AM

i would just call the third bet.
if i had raised, id prob fold for #5.
you should be cursing under your breath when you get threebet here in a vegas game.

CardSharpCook 11-23-2005 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon give him a break. He had the Ace of clubs and was (against a? or was a) FISH! At least that's what he called the guy who had the best hand.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

11-23-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd much prefer you give me some decent poker advice, as you're a much more experienced player than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not serious. You are now talking like a mealy mouth loser. You're words were and I paraphrase "This moron (me) has never posted anything worth reading, ever". Now you ask for advice? Why? Don't you like it when someone trys to steal your thread with extraneous bull? Cmon Dom lets play.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an official 2+2 baseball bat to bash trolls like Vincent? I don't give a damn if he's the greatest poker player in the world, this thread hijacking and insulting is unacceptable. Go back to your asinine probability questions, Vincent.

shemp 11-23-2005 03:00 AM

You went 9 bets on the river with 4th nuts? Did I read that right?

Vincent Lepore 11-23-2005 04:30 AM

Happydaz,

Below are two quotes some might find ironic. Interestingly enough they are all your words. Now what makes them ironic is that they are the only words you have uttered in this thread. So you, a dope, I'm sure, accuses me of hijacking a thread with insults when the only thing you post within the thread is an insult. Get a life you dummy.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there an official 2+2 baseball bat to bash trolls like Vincent?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
, this thread hijacking and insulting is unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince

Pog0 11-23-2005 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would just call the third bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the reasoning that any hand that 3bet pf that beats me here is still losing money in the longrun by doing so, even if they get this many out of me when this happens.

Also, any hand that beats me now would have made a mistake preflop, any hand that I beat is making a mistake now, therefore I am 100% certain our opponent has made a big mistake at some point in this hand. It could very well be now and there's no way I'm folding to someone who 3-bets pf AND goes 5+ bets on the river on this board.

piggity 11-23-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you really? Thinking about it after the fact, this actually seems like the best move, since against most opponents folding to the 5th bet is a no-brainer. However, if I were actually involved in this hand I don't know if I could ever find a fold here..

Dominic 11-23-2005 12:32 PM

OOPS

okay, I made a boo-boo. I wrote this post after a late night of poker and booze and I may have been sloppy in the hand history...there's NO WAY I go that many bets on the river with the fourth nuts. It's possible I missed the 7-4, but I don't even think I did that.

So I guess I just threw out some cards that made the villain his 2c4c straight flush without checking to see if there were other straight flushes out there....so, my memory is probably a little faulty on the EXACT cards on board.

I heartily apologize.

He DID make his straight flush. Ansd as far as I recollect, the 2c4c was the ONLY possible straight flush out there. So I had the 2nd nuts.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But I'm still a moron for going that many bets on the river, either way.

Dominic 11-23-2005 12:34 PM

Re: Chloroform <sp>

[ QUOTE ]
I havent read the entire thread, but, If it hasn't already been mentioned I thought this guy had 7c 8c on the river. That was the only hand I could possibly see him trying to make a move with PF and then being able to bet the river like that. Wow, that was a huge pot. After it got to be 5 bets, i'd just call, because only idiots put in that many bets with hands that you beat. I dont fault you here, except for the last couple of bets though. Give the fish his chips and wait for him to spew them your way over the next couple of hours.....OH but WAIT! Let me guess....he got up and left the table after one more orbit and you were steaming like a locomotive.

Here's my plan....get some chloroform and follow him to his posh room at the Wynn...when he gets in the elevator I want you to knock him out with the chloroform, and make sure you have a tattoo gun handy. Take the tattoo gun and tattoo the deuce four of clubs on his fishy forehead. Then dress him up as a woman and when he's regaining consciousness, drop him off at a gay bar with a bottle of KY in one hand and a bottle of water loaded with roofies in the other.

Teach that yap to suck out on you.....

Man I need some help with this tilt thing....

I'm on tilt just from the story you told....

Where is this [censored]? Lets get him.

OOPS! That was me with the 2c 4c trying to make a move on your Aces.....NEVERMIND WHAT I SAID BEFORE.

Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

now this kinda response is almost worth losing that hand. Almost.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

turnipmonster 11-23-2005 12:36 PM

Re: OOPS

[ QUOTE ]

He DID make his straight flush. Ansd as far as I recollect, the 2c4c was the ONLY possible straight flush out there. So I had the 2nd nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is impossible, since you have the Ac the only straight flush 2c4c makes is with a board of 3 5 6, making 4c7c the better straight flush. you had the 3rd nuts.

11-23-2005 12:39 PM

Re: Chloroform <sp>

A'la goofy-late nite- Tex'ness.

GL in vegas.

STAY AWAY FROM THE [censored] TABLE GAMES AND THE [censored] ROULETTLE WHEEL!

MNpoker 11-23-2005 12:41 PM

4 and I call the 5th.

Not 4 betting preflop was not a good move.

Dominic 11-23-2005 01:06 PM

Re: OOPS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is impossible, since you have the Ac the only straight flush 2c4c makes is with a board of 3 5 6, making 4c7c the better straight flush. you had the 3rd nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there you go....so I'm a an even bigger moron than I thought! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]