Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Splitting the bill. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379418)

11-16-2005 03:39 AM

Re: Splitting the bill.

The Costanza is strong in this thread, I sense it

TheMainEvent 11-16-2005 03:43 AM

I don't mind splitting it evenly but if someone is going to suggest that it had better not be the guy who orders 5 drinks, an appetizer, and the most expensive entree. God I hate when people do that [censored].

DasLeben 11-16-2005 03:56 AM

I think that it depends on the situation. If your server is busy and working a full section, it is VERY much appreciated if you simply pay together. Me standing in the corner counting out change and running credit cards for 5 minutes while splitting 9 checks is just not a fun thing to do when I've got 4 other tables that want stuff. Then again, you did say that you tip well, so I couldn't really complain.

If you do pay separately, it's much nicer to your server to simply work things out yourself with cash before he/she gets back, and then give them the check presenter with the tip already included. "We don't need change" is a phrase that is always appreciated.

11-16-2005 03:57 AM

You do need the change. The change adds up. It adds up a lot.

DasLeben 11-16-2005 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do need the change. The change adds up. It adds up a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's not really what I meant. If the bill was $25 and you toss me $30 and say "I don't need change," it's a good thing.

11-16-2005 04:01 AM

The change isnt in addition to the tip though, is it?

DasLeben 11-16-2005 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The change isnt in addition to the tip though, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's how I'm seeing it: If the bill is $30 and you give me two $20 bills and say "I don't need change," I keep that extra $10 that I would have given you back, which is now my tip. Obviously that's a pretty damn good tip, but you get the jist.

TheMainEvent 11-16-2005 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that it depends on the situation. If your server is busy and working a full section, it is VERY much appreciated if you simply pay together. Me standing in the corner counting out change and running credit cards for 5 minutes while splitting 9 checks is just not a fun thing to do when I've got 4 other tables that want stuff. Then again, you did say that you tip well, so I couldn't really complain.

If you do pay separately, it's much nicer to your server to simply work things out yourself with cash before he/she gets back, and then give them the check presenter with the tip already included. "We don't need change" is a phrase that is always appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do I care about the server? If we're courteous and give a good tip I'm not going to worry about making a little bit of extra work for him.

11-16-2005 04:07 AM

I'd tip myself that amount for even considering to tip that much

DasLeben 11-16-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do I care about the server? If we're courteous and give a good tip I'm not going to worry about making a little bit of extra work for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, if you're nice and you tip well, I'm not going to complain about splitting checks. I'm just pointing out that it's just a nice gesture if his/her section is slammed and you have a bunch of separate checks, that's all.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd tip myself that amount for even considering to tip that much

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as I said, that's a pretty damn good tip. It's happened before, but not very often at all. I was just trying to make a point.