Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Girl lays down cowboys on river (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=241084)

Rotating Rabbit 04-27-2005 08:19 PM

Girl lays down cowboys on river

This is a hand one of my college friends played, which she told me about the next day in lectures.

No reads on Villian, who has just sat down a few orbits back. Hero has the table covered with $800, villian has 650.

Hero is UTG+1, Villian is SB.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero limps, all fold to SB who calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot = 18)

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $18, SB raises to $50, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot = 118)

SB bets $80, Hero raises to $200, SB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot = 518)

SB bets 400 and is all-in. Hero folds.

So, preflop limp aside, this hand is all about the turn.
Whats your play?

creedofhubris 04-28-2005 04:01 AM

Re: Girl lays down cowboys on river

[ QUOTE ]
This is a hand one of my college friends played, which she told me about the next day in lectures.

No reads on Villian, who has just sat down a few orbits back. Hero has the table covered with $800, villian has 650.

Hero is UTG+1, Villian is SB.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero limps, all fold to SB who calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot = 18)

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot = 118)

SB bets $80, Hero raises to $200, SB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot = 518)

SB bets 400 and is all-in. Hero folds.

So, preflop limp aside, this hand is all about the turn.
Whats your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

when you limp a big pair and don't get to check/reraise, you shouldn't treat it like a big hand. If you get raised along the way, you're probably in trouble, particularly if the raise comes on the turn.

BobboFitos 04-28-2005 04:02 AM

funny post, but girls cant play poker!

PoBoy321 04-28-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot = 18)

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hero's shoes, I really think I've got to drop it here. The way it played out, I'm 99.9% sure she's against a weird two pair. 34 maybe?

EDIT: Actually, before I say this, I should ask, what's the blind structure? 3/6 I'm guessing?

DaveduFresne 04-28-2005 04:55 AM

Remind her of TJ Cloutier's "if you limp with aces, you don't go broke with aces". I realize its Kings but same thing applies. You're not limping to move all in, you're limping for a little deception and to win a modest pot, and not have to risk all your chips on an all in.

However, I would tell her not to do this with Kings, as online I don't like reraising all in with just Kings in a game with decent players, and more importantly there are too many players still playing Acerag, and you know how often an ace will flop.

David

flawless_victory 04-28-2005 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot = 18)

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hero's shoes, I really think I've got to drop it here. The way it played out, I'm 99.9% sure she's against a weird two pair. 34 maybe?

EDIT: Actually, before I say this, I should ask, what's the blind structure? 3/6 I'm guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]if this was an online game i would fold when villain checkraises the flop.

freemoney 04-28-2005 10:30 AM

I think you are missing out on a major concept if you are inclined to say moving in with KK preflop isnt good because too many people are playing Ace-rag, i mean thats more of a reason to move in if you are going to get called by a wider range of hands that you are a big favorite on.

turnipmonster 04-28-2005 10:39 AM

I think limp reraising is fine in an aggressive game. I don't think there's anything wrong with folding the flop, but since she didn't I really don't like raising the turn unless she's committed, which she was not. I don't think any worse hands can call the turn raise.

--turnipmonster

NickPoker 04-28-2005 10:41 AM

I would consider folding on the flop. When the board pairs on the turn, at most I just call, no way do I raise. The best move is too just lay it down, and decide to raise Preflop next time I have KK. I would guess the villian has at least 2 pair, and possibly a full house. The only hand I could see the Hero beating would be another overpair or if the villian got caught up in a semibluff with a hand like 5-6.

Rotating Rabbit 04-28-2005 11:33 AM

I too would fold on the flop. Or possibly call and fold the turn to a good sized bet.

But given that she called the turn, I thought the raise was better than calling. She said she intended the turn raise to get a free river showdown. When villian calls the turn raise hero isnt putting a dime more in the pot, and its cost hero 200. If hero flat calls the turn, its tough to fold to a bet of 200 on the river, costing more. The turn raise also stops villian bluffing with a missed 5-6, or bluffing hero off with something like 10-10.