Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I had no idea there was such an indie following here... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405712)

12-27-2005 01:34 PM

Re: I had no idea there was such an indie following here...

MTV played the video for "Rock the Casbah" in heavy rotation.

12-27-2005 02:16 PM

thanks for all the replies guys. in response to some of the suggestions, I've already downloaded some Iron & Wine, I forget what it sounds like though so I'll have to listen again, and Belle & Sebastian, which I enjoy.

what do yall think of elliot smith?

kagame 12-27-2005 02:42 PM

can someone explain iron and wine to me?

why death cab, postal service, AND iron and wine?

it just seems so excessive

btw ARCADE FIRE ARCADE FIRE ARCADE FIRE IS AWESOME

jason_t 12-27-2005 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing that you that you can run with this joke for so long and continue to find ways to make it amusing. Nice work.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quinn Warren 12-27-2005 03:17 PM

For starters:

1. The Shins

2. Built to Spill

3. Wilco

Then move on to:

4. Yo La Tengo

5. Super Furry Animals

6. Magnetic Fields

7. Broken Social Scene

Finally, attempt:

8. Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy)

9. Les Savy Fav

10. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

11. Wolf Parade

Honorable metion to a fantastic indie pop band from the early 80's:

The Dbs. Their album-Stands for Decibles

CallMeIshmael 12-27-2005 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend the Decemberists and Iron and Wine.

both of these are pretty obscure and if you ever find yourself in a hipster argument with Jack of Arcades or CallMeIshmael you can just drop either name and instantly claim the upper hand.

I'd advise staying far, far away from bands like Modest Mouse who have "music videos" on television. they are [censored] sellouts and have already killed their cred. you will be a laughing stock if you listen to this.

also, don't forget some of The Clash to keep it real/old school.

good luck, and just remember that when you debate hipster music on this board the true masters are going to try to overwhelm you with the most obscure stuff just to make you feel like less of a person. sometimes they'll even make up bands/albums/songs just to test you. if you find yourself in one of these situations, just remember that while the person talks big and tough, on the inside he is just a little boy in Spain playing pianos filled with flames.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG are you on lately.

ESP the part in gold... genius, pure genius!!

CallMeIshmael 12-27-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just recommend Built to Spill. My favorite band ever. Listen to "I Wouldn't Hurt a Fly", "Car", and "Carry the Zero".

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the most popular indie bands that people would recognize by name if there are any?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the shins, spoon or wilco.

Georgia Avenue 12-27-2005 03:53 PM

Sebadoh est LA BOMBA.

BTW: Is "indie" still short for something, or is it just a word now? The music-nit complaint that "indie" bands are no longer on independent labels is so tired and seems almost superfluous to the genre...(Like that dumb: "MTV doesn't even play videos" or "Rap is CRAP deheheh" moranity)...it has come to mean a particular sound and style, and why not?

I remember the first time I heard the term, in middle school, I thought it had something to do with "India" or "Indigeneous"...maybe we should just declare that indie is short for something else...

--GA

PS: Eurotrash est LA BOMBA aussi...

MonkeeMan 12-27-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the first time I heard the term, in middle school, I thought it had something to do with "India" or "Indigeneous

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's some wicked middle school vocab. Now if you thought it was the soundtrack from Raiders of the Lost Ark I would guess you were from the US, now I'm guessing some alien place like Mars or France.

Emmitt2222 12-27-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend the Decemberists and Iron and Wine.

both of these are pretty obscure and if you ever find yourself in a hipster argument with Jack of Arcades or CallMeIshmael you can just drop either name and instantly claim the upper hand.

I'd advise staying far, far away from bands like Modest Mouse who have "music videos" on television. they are [censored] sellouts and have already killed their cred. you will be a laughing stock if you listen to this.

also, don't forget some of The Clash to keep it real/old school.

good luck, and just remember that when you debate hipster music on this board the true masters are going to try to overwhelm you with the most obscure stuff just to make you feel like less of a person. sometimes they'll even make up bands/albums/songs just to test you. if you find yourself in one of these situations, just remember that while the person talks big and tough, on the inside he is just a little boy in Spain playing pianos filled with flames.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG are you on lately.

ESP the part in gold... genius, pure genius!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was chuckling the whole way and I hit that line and I just started cracking up.