Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Apparently I can't dress myself (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400998)

[censored] 12-18-2005 09:48 PM

Apparently I can\'t dress myself

It looks like im going to be going out some dates in the near future and im pretty sure my wardrobe needs some major work.

Currently it consists of 3 pairs of Levi jeans, about 25 standard black T shirts, 10 standard White T shirts (for summer), a few long sleave black T shirts which wear in conjuction with the short sleave when its cold. A pair of black skechers and a pair of brown skechers and an empire poker zip up fleece.

Im not making any sort of statement with this wardrobe mind you it just sort of happened over time. I do like to keep things simple though

I'd like to keep the total under $500 is possible but im open to other ideas

I'm like 5'10 1/2 and weigh about 155. brown hair, brown eyes.

Let me know if you need more information.

Remember this is stuff for dates and pretty much that only

lu_hawk 12-18-2005 09:55 PM

Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

Your shoes should be OK. You need at least one pair of nicer jeans and then some slacks if you are going someplace where jeans are not appropriate. The slacks should probably be darkish gray and fit well.

You need some shirts. A few of the typical striped button down shirts should be good. I've also been buying Merino wool sweaters when I see one I like. I really like those shirts so maybe get one of them.

You want to look nice, I would go to Bloomingdale's and buy all this stuff in one place. Everything there is 30%-40% off for Xmas. Will probably end up costing you more than $500 depending on what you get but you will be able to keep it less than $1000. $1000 to look nice is well worth it if you think about it.

[censored] 12-18-2005 09:58 PM

yeah let me clarify I have no idea what clothes cost so if the $500 thing in unrealistic just let me know

rusellmj 12-18-2005 10:00 PM

You're about 30?

fyodor 12-18-2005 10:02 PM

Do what gonores does. Take a girl shopping and let her pick out everything.

12-18-2005 10:02 PM

If you are not a rush, you may want to consider post - christmas sales. i have had great success with these in the days between the 25th and 31st in the past

ScottyP431 12-18-2005 10:03 PM

Censored,

It depends how "gay" you want to get, i.e. do you want to go like full on metro/fashionable, or just like passable not a slob. If the former, you'd need to spend more. If the latter, i would just get like 6-8 outfits from like banana republic/the gap/old navy consisting off
-dress pants/fancy wash jeans
-long sleeved dress shirt
-colored undershirt, that matches, but is not the same color as dress shirt
-2 pairs of dressy shoes, 2 belts, one set black, one set brown

and your done. You can easily do this on your budget, and shopping entirely online as well. If you want to take another step up, get some kind of blazer.

I'm really bored, here is a potential outfit:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...amp;pid=315674

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...amp;pid=329311

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=347026062

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...amp;pid=308988

antidan444 12-18-2005 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do what gonores does. Take a girl shopping and let her pick out everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This worked great as an early date with my (later-to-be) wife. One day she got to complaining about my lack of fashion, and I told her, "You have $300 to spend, let's get me dressed up." She had a blast.

rusellmj 12-18-2005 10:09 PM

Something I learned at Mens Warehouse is get more tops than pants. You'll spend less and have some variety. Once you settle on a couple pairs of pants, lay them out on a counter or rack and lay the top over them to get an idea of what looks good and what doesn't.

Oh and Scotty's advice on BR/BLK shoes and belt is important.

As others have said, this is the best time of year to clothes shop.

shadow29 12-18-2005 10:09 PM

1. find girl.
2. take her shopping.
3. to brooks brothers.
4. spend more than $500.
5. get laid.
6. trainwreck.

YourFoxyGrandma 12-18-2005 10:11 PM

Hit up the Gap. Pick up a few button down shirts, a few polos, some kind of jacket/sportcoat and maybe a scarf, depending on your location. If you're having trouble, get one of the female employees to help you pick out an outfit. If she's hot, do her in the dressing room. You know, or whatever.

[censored] 12-18-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 30, should put that in there

miajag81 12-18-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit up the Gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 30, not 20.

[censored] 12-18-2005 10:16 PM

Another Note: I absolutely refuse to step in a [censored] Gap or its aborted cousin The Old Navy again. I appreciate those suggestions. I should have included this in my OP

ScottyP431 12-18-2005 10:18 PM

Re: Get a girl to take you shopping

This is risky, it's not like there is some fashion gene that every girl has that allows her to dress men. Girls are the ones putting thier tiny ass dogs in Burberry sweaters after all. This can work out, but also produce epic backfires. Take 20 minutes to flip through a GQ and see what you like/looks good instead of relying on some vagisil toting hoe to tell you what to do

kurosh 12-18-2005 10:21 PM

What's wrong with the gap? I love the gap. Nice, simple, cheap and classy clothing.

Chief911 12-18-2005 10:23 PM

Gap is fine. Its kinda like a less sophisticated banana republic.

And I'm 30.

Nick

Klepton 12-18-2005 10:23 PM

i love anything by these people.

www.penguinclothing.com

check out the new stuff, and get some nice fall colors.

surfinillini 12-18-2005 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Note: I absolutely refuse to step in a [censored] Gap or its aborted cousin The Old Navy again. I appreciate those suggestions. I should have included this in my OP

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Express for some super metro button down dress shirts, just get either black or white to keep it straight. You can find two shirts for about $80

match the shirt with a pair of distressed-jeans, something not that expensive like Aber & Fitch jeans, run you about $65 each. Buy two, one darker shades, one lighter shades. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT STORE, ONLY JEANS.

Drop by banana republic, check out their sale section, they always have nice longsleeve collar shirts or dress shirts from early in the season. Spend about $200 on stretch t-shirts, long a short sleeve, and try to pick up another dress shirt.

Finally, head over to Macy's or your local dept store, pick up a nice black pair of shoes to wear with your jeans. ~$100 for a decent pair.

your set to go

$80
$65
$200
$100

=$445 plus taxes

$500 and a semi respectable wardrobe to begin with

[censored] 12-18-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Express for some super metro button down dress shirts, just get either black or white to keep it straight. You can find two shirts for about $80

match the shirt with a pair of distressed-jeans, something not that expensive like Aber & Fitch jeans, run you about $65 each. Buy two, one darker shades, one lighter shades. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT STORE, ONLY JEANS.

Drop by banana republic, check out their sale section, they always have nice longsleeve collar shirts or dress shirts from early in the season. Spend about $200 on stretch t-shirts, long a short sleeve, and try to pick up another dress shirt.

Finally, head over to Macy's or your local dept store, pick up a nice black pair of shoes to wear with your jeans. ~$100 for a decent pair.

your set to go

$80
$65
$200
$100

=$445 plus taxes

$500 and a semi respectable wardrobe to begin with

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work, thanks

Mercsgrl 12-18-2005 10:31 PM

Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mercsgrl

BradleyT 12-18-2005 10:32 PM

Two pairs of these and you're done.

I just don't get it....

surfinillini 12-18-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure where you're from....but if you have a Marshalls near you....thats where you want to go with the $500 budget. Personally I like the Jeans (nice ones) dont look at the price...you can get them at Marshalls for about $50 cute jeans
with... cute cashmere
wear a white t-shirt underneath so you can see a little at the neckline...something like this is great for dinner...movies...or just hanging out...you can even get something like this to throw over...
sports jacket

a few of these go a long way and you can mix and match [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey thats a new forum....we can call it "fashion StEff" LOL I love it!

Good Luck!

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]STEF [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't goto marshalls, I once was there to buy some socks and found a quicksilver shirt I bought at local surf shop 3 years earlier...that [censored] is [censored] old...

Stuey 12-18-2005 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

You want to look good without looking like you are trying to hard or faking it.

[censored] 12-18-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

You want to look good without looking like you are trying to hard or faking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah where has this site been all my life. nice

12-18-2005 10:43 PM

You would look handsome in a grey or brown cashmere sweater and jeans.

Mercsgrl 12-18-2005 10:44 PM

ugh I tried to fix my links and deleted my post:(

surfinillini 12-18-2005 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would look handsome in a grey or brown cashmere sweater and jeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] wears cashmere, seriously...he's in oregon not Los angeles or new york.

keep it local

Maulik 12-18-2005 10:47 PM

one pair of jeans via www.energie.it = $150

should last forever.

12-18-2005 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] wears cashmere, seriously...he's in oregon not Los angeles or new york.

keep it local

[/ QUOTE ]

I like picturing [censored] in cashmere [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ononimo 12-18-2005 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like picturing [censored] in cashmere [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

what other fantasies about [censored] do you have?

BradleyT 12-18-2005 10:51 PM

Mens Fashion Tips has lots of good coordination tips.

ononimo 12-18-2005 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not sure where you're from....but if you have a Marshalls near you....thats where you want to go with the $500 budget. Personally I like the Jeans (nice ones) dont look at the price...you can get them at Marshalls for about $50 cute jeans
with... cute cashmere
wear a white t-shirt underneath so you can see a little at the neckline...something like this is great for dinner...movies...or just hanging out...you can even get something like this to throw over...
sports jacket

a few of these go a long way and you can mix and match [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey thats a new forum....we can call it "fashion StEff" LOL I love it!

Good Luck!

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]STEF [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't goto marshalls, I once was there to buy some socks and found a quicksilver shirt I bought at local surf shop 3 years earlier...that [censored] is [censored] old...

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like you struck a nerve

MikeNaked 12-18-2005 10:55 PM

Hit up Nordstrom Rack next time you are in PDX.

surfinillini 12-18-2005 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit up Nordstrom Rack next time you are in PDX.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call

sublime 12-18-2005 11:04 PM

the gap. whats your beef with this place?

its the only place i shop really.

anyways, i NEVER wear dress shirts. well since i am now fat i cant, but back in the day my wardrobe would be something like this:

2-3 pairs of loose fit/carpenter jeans

white sneakers (i have been rocking only shelltoes since the early 90's)

polo shirts, long sleeve cotton shirts etc.

always comfortable, always on point. plus on first dates, you look good, but not like your trying. bitches better know they aint getting me in no god damn dress shoes.

almost as important as what you wear is how you groom yourself. i am nutbag and brush my chops 3-4 times a day and floss daily, along with always rinsing my mouth out so no [censored] is stuck in my teeth. cut your nails 2-3 times a week and make sure there is NO dirt under them etc. get my haircut every two weeks, keep around the ears and the sideburns neat etc. chicks really notice that [censored].

[censored] 12-18-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the gap. whats your beef with this place?

its the only place i shop really.

anyways, i NEVER wear dress shirts. well since i am now fat i cant, but back in the day my wardrobe would be something like this:

2-3 pairs of loose fit/carpenter pants

white sneakers (i have been rocking only shelltoes since the early 90's)

polo shirts, long sleeve cotton shirts etc.

always comfortable, always on point.

almost as important as what you wear is how you groom yourself. i am nutbag and brush my chops 3-4 times a day and floss daily, along with always rinsing my mouth out so no [censored] is stuck in my teeth. cut your nails 2-3 times a week and make sure there is NO dirt under them etc. get my haircut every two weeks, keep around the ears and the sideburns neat etc. chicks really notice that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if people like the gap that's fine but I used to have to go to that [censored] place with my ex when we were together and I grew to hate it and everyone in there. I would sit there like a [censored] retard fantasizing about taking an M60 machine gun from a bunker made of Kakis to the place. I just don't like it. Also the ads.

Thanks for the grooming tips though. It reminds me I need to get a haircut and ill get on the other stuff as well.

thanks

sublime 12-18-2005 11:11 PM

i would rather die than shop with a female.

surfinillini 12-18-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and to believe you're fat?

explain your reasoning, especially if they're buying your clothes for you???

sublime 12-18-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and to believe you're fat?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i am fat. what does one have to do with the other?