Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Is Soda Bad For You? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153861)

theBruiser500 11-26-2004 09:16 PM

Is Soda Bad For You?

I've heard that it's bad for you from many people but I've also heard it's not bad for you from many other people. I'm pretty sure it's bad for your teeth, but what about besides that, for general health. Is soda bad for you? How is it bad?

Ulysses 11-26-2004 09:26 PM

Re: Is Soda Bad For You?

Yes.

Reef 11-26-2004 09:33 PM

yes, not only does it have a ton of sugar and caffeine, but that phosphoric acid stuff used in cleaners- I think

AngryCola 11-26-2004 09:35 PM

Yes, it's bad for you.

Diet is even worse for you.

Obviously, I should know. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

daryn 11-26-2004 09:41 PM

what is the logic behind "diet is even worse"

i'm pretty sure that's not true.

AngryCola 11-26-2004 09:55 PM

It's the artificial sugar. I don't want to post a mountain of research here, but it's VERY bad for you.

Aspartame is the other name for nutrisweet, etc. It is a very bad substance. If you look up research on the web, you'll find out some very bad things about aspartame, and how it's generally overlooked.

The short answer is that sugar is something your body understands and can more easily process.

I'm not saying either type of soda is good for you, but anything with Aspartame in it is bad news, as I understand it.

If there are still doubts when I get back on 2+2 tomorrow, I'll try to dig up as much research as I can and post links to it. It has been a few years since I read much of it, so I don't have the links off the top of my head.

I also don't want to go into all the things bad about aspartame, because any of the reasearch (if i have to provide it) will state the details much more completely than I could.

That said, I think googling "aspartame" and reading a few of the hits would provide a person with a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

wacki 11-26-2004 09:57 PM

It depends on if you think artificial sweeteners are better or worse for your health than sugar.

As for soda, I don't drink soda and I've never had a cavity. I drink tons of lemonade which has lots of sugar my teeth are fine. Shows you how powerfull phosphoric acid is. Mythbusters soaked a tooth in the stuff for 24 hours (1 in Soda and 1 in phosphoric acid) both teeth went bye bye.

daryn 11-26-2004 09:57 PM

if you post something that says a lab rat got cancer from ingesting half his weight in aspartame every day for a year, i won't be worried.

AngryCola 11-26-2004 10:00 PM

lol, no it's nothing like that. As I suggested, the information is out there. Just do a little reasearch of your own about Aspartame.

I know for most people, their personal research will convince them far more than someone else directing them around to which sites say what. Happy hunting.

EDIT- Either way, soda is pretty nasty stuff to be ingesting, and I'm not talking about the taste. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rooster71 11-26-2004 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that it's bad for you from many people but I've also heard it's not bad for you from many other people. I'm pretty sure it's bad for your teeth, but what about besides that, for general health. Is soda bad for you? How is it bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. Diet sodas may be even worse in some respects.

I recently lost 20 lbs to get my weight back to where it should be. Sodas were the main problem. It's amazing how I don't have to worry much about getting fat as long as I stay away from sodas.