Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   20/40 thief (quick, before this gets demoted to SS) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379540)

piggity 11-16-2005 10:12 AM

20/40 thief (quick, before this gets demoted to SS)

Seat 1 is a solid, thinking player.
Seat 2 is me.
Seat 3 is a rock.
Seats 4&5 are both passive & weak.

Two out of the last three rounds, Seat 1 has open-raised from the HJ and won vs the blinds without a showdown.

Round 4. Seat 1 is in the HJ again. He open-raises.

I have T4o. What should I do?

Jeffage 11-16-2005 10:25 AM

Re: 20/40 thief (quick, before this gets demoted to SS)

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 1 is a solid, thinking player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question (even though you were pretty unclear about your position). Muck this trash even if you put him on a steal...his hand is likely much better than yours. That and the fact that he plays well is a pretty strong reason to fold. Actually, I don't believe I ever would call here unless it's one chip in 2-3 structure. Is this a serious question?

Jeff

MNpoker 11-16-2005 10:30 AM

Muck

And this is a rare case where I don't think it matters what type of player the Villian is.

piggity 11-16-2005 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I don't believe I ever would call here unless it's one chip in 2-3 structure. Is this a serious question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the CO, not SB. So I have position. I'm being quite serious. For example, I would probably consider 3-betting with something like T8o..

Jeffage 11-16-2005 10:46 AM

Why would you want to mix it up with a solid player with garbage cards? I don't care if you have position or not. I'm mucking the 10-8 in two seconds flat also. 10-4 is a no brainer muck and it's not close.

MNpoker 11-16-2005 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to mix it up with a solid player with garbage cards? I don't care if you have position or not. I'm mucking the 10-8 in two seconds flat also. 10-4 is a no brainer muck and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I disagree with is it shouldn't take 2 seconds. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Overplaying your opponents is a great way to spew chips.

11-16-2005 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stigmata 11-16-2005 10:55 AM

Yeah, nobody ever got dealt three half-decent hands in a row, ever. 3-bet him and punish his dominated T3o.

piggity 11-16-2005 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jeff - Thanks for the candid input.

But at what point do you stop letting him have the button every time he's in the HJ? After his 4th consecutive open-raise from the HJ? 5th? 6th?

Am I just playing mind games with myself?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

sfer 11-16-2005 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But at what point do you stop letting him have the button every time he's in the HJ? After his 4th consecutive open-raise from the HJ? 5th? 6th?

[/ QUOTE ]

Making a stand for the sake of making a stand isn't such a hot idea. Get a hand with showdown value first.