Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What Happened Here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=105044)

toby 07-21-2004 11:22 AM

What Happened Here?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 folds, Button raises, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls.

River: (8.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows As Qs (two pair, aces and kings).
Button shows 3c Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Button wins 12.50 BB. </font>

Comments on each street appreciated, in retrospect the only change I would have made was raising PF.

easypete 07-21-2004 11:26 AM

Re: What Happened Here?

You lost (that's what happened).

As for your play.

Raise pf.

3-bet the flop.

Turn probably wouldn't play the same under the above suggestions. But I would have bet the turn and called a raise from the button.

River. check/call.

chief444 07-21-2004 11:32 AM

Raise pf.
3-bet the flop (especially after the pf mistake of just limping).
Lead the turn.
Don't be so damn passive. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Shargaas 07-21-2004 11:33 AM

You've already identified the most important mistake made in this hand. You had to raise this pre-flop. If the button wants to play Kx off-suit, make him pay.

I likely would have re-raised on the flop to take control of the hand. Calling and check-raising the turn almost never works for me as my opponents love to play aggressive on the flop then check all the way after that (unless they have me badly beat).

In closing, raise pre-flop!

Bill Smith 07-21-2004 11:33 AM

Preflop: RAISE! This was the critical mistake, as you might have forced out the hand that beat you. If people want to play junk hands for 1 BB (and they will) let them - you'll win more than your fair share to outweigh the times you get sucked out.

Flop: 3-bet! Nobody represented a big hand preflop, so you will have the best hand 9 times out of 10 here.

Turn: Being that you cold called the flop, I like the check-raise so long as you could count on Button to bet. The reason I like the 3-bet on the flop is because a bet here might take the pot down.

River: Grandiose suck out. Tough luck. Next hand.

flair1239 07-21-2004 11:51 AM

I agree with everything above. You gave him no reason to suspect strength. He was thinking his K was good all the way, reasoning that if you had a ace hand you would have raised it pf or reraised the flop.

By not raising on the flop, he had no reason to put you on top pair.

He probably thought you were bluffing the turn.

I am not saying never limp pf with a big hand, but I think at some point you have to show strength. If you had raised PF he probably would not have stayed in; but even with limping pf; a reraise on the flop probably would have made him think about folding on the turn bet.

By that same token anyone who would play K3o probably won't fold anyway (with a pair of kings), but would have gone into "calling mode".

RED_RAIN 07-21-2004 12:58 PM

Don't get fancy, this is too low a limit that they either won't get what you are doing or they will just check through and you lose bets.