Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Babcock / Isiah (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351728)

Pudge714 10-06-2005 11:26 AM

Babcock / Isiah

Similarly to the Martz Tice thread are Rob Babcock and Isiah Thomas trying to see who can be a worse GM. In this offseason they have made three of the worst moves in recent memory.

1. Babcock drafting Villaneuva
2. Isiah not using the Allan Houston rule for Allan Houston
3. Isiah trading so much for Eddy Curry even though he has a heart condidtion and may never play another NBA game.

brettbrettr 10-06-2005 11:34 AM

Re: Babcock / Isiah

FWIW I read that Isaih wasn't allowed to release Houston b/c of Houston's relationship with the Dolans. He's certainly horrible, but I'm not sure the fault for this one falls squarely at his feet.

xadrez 10-06-2005 11:39 AM

How did Isiah trade "so much"? He gave up a solid, yet undersized role player with no upside in Sweetney, en expiring contract, and 1 first rounder. How is this too much. If anything, Paxson should be worried that Curry heart is fine, since he got so little for a potential impact player.

Isiah is gambling that is undeniable. But what he gave up is the issue here.

xadrez 10-06-2005 11:40 AM

This is true. Dolan has a man-crush on Allan Houston.

IndieMatty 10-06-2005 11:40 AM

Isiah > Layden

Babcocks Villenueva pick was probably the worst draft pick since Frederick Weiss.

xadrez 10-06-2005 11:44 AM

Dont forget that last year, with the same pick, Babcock took Rafael Araujo . WTF! At least Villanueva has some potential.

Edit:fixed

Pudge714 10-06-2005 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont forget that last year, with the same pick, Babcock took Ronny Turiaff. WTF! At least Villanueva has some potential.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rafael Arajou, Turiaf got drafted in the second round this year by the Lakers.

brettbrettr 10-06-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isiah > Layden

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is relevant since Layden used to have the job, but being better than Layden isn't really all that impressive. EG, IndieMatty >>>>> Layden. My cat, Fredo > Layden. You get the point...

xadrez 10-06-2005 12:05 PM

Fixed that...my analysis still applies

10-06-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did Isiah trade "so much"? He gave up a solid, yet undersized role player with no upside in Sweetney, en expiring contract, and 1 first rounder. How is this too much. If anything, Paxson should be worried that Curry heart is fine, since he got so little for a potential impact player.

Isiah is gambling that is undeniable. But what he gave up is the issue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Legitimate centers who can play are a rarity in the eastern conference. He got one who is 22 years old, with a few years in the league already, not only without giving up a front line player but getting rid of the unplayable Tim Thomas. Sure Curry has warts, but it's not unreasonable to think that Larry Brown can correct many of them and that the player is young enough to still be able to mature. And with regard to the medical issues -- Curry had to pass a physical before the trade would be official.