Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   allin preflop with KQ vs. image playa (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=302836)

creedofhubris 07-28-2005 08:28 PM

allin preflop with KQ vs. image playa

Villain in this hand has an image play he likes to make soon after sitting down. He goes allin preflop from the blinds after a bunch of limpers, gets no calls, and flashes trash hands. 84. 92. J5. That sort of thing. Nothing with any smidgen of value, nothing sooooooted, nothing with card strength. He does this to get action, he likes to make insanely big bets, loose calls with draws, etc. I've seen him make this preflop play at least four times over the last few months, usually after he's been off the site for a while and has returned, so that everyone present gets the proper image that he's a wild maniac who should be called down.

Anyway, villain has just sat down at 5/10 $1000 table with a bunch of new players. Hero limps KQo from EP. Several other unimaginative limpers.

Villain moves in from BB for $1000.

Hero calls.

Rotating Rabbit 07-28-2005 08:37 PM

Re: allin preflop with KQ vs. image playa

Has villian ever moved in like this when there has been an UTG+? limper before?

TonyBlair 07-28-2005 08:37 PM

Maybe.
I'm not sure you're far enough ahead of any of his hands to risk running into a beast behind you. Mathematicians are free to come in here.........

creedofhubris 07-28-2005 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe.
I'm not sure you're far enough ahead of any of his hands to risk running into a beast behind you. Mathematicians are free to come in here.........

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm first in. Couple of limpers near the button. If they'd had hands I would've heard.

Besides, to them, it's gotta like like I limped with AA or KK; they'd need a real huge hand to come in here.

TonyBlair 07-28-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they'd need a real huge hand to come in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

.....a beast, in fact.

I'm all up for pushing small edges and your read on the BB seems solid enough. I'd def call if a) I was last to act and b) I was sure villain wouldn't do this with a big hand.

If I had a read on an opponent like this I'd be itching to put it to use - and this may supersede my better judgement at the table. Poker plans fuzz the mind. Hope it went well.

Bosox 07-28-2005 09:02 PM

i've seen this type (or this exact player) before, and so i really don't mind your call. It's a high standard deviation play no matter what he's holding so if you've got the roll to follow through with it i think it's still +EV vs this player. Even if you're dominated (at worst 15-20%) it's going to help YOUR table image and you may get a refund on that investment. hope it worked out.
sox

Bosox 07-28-2005 09:02 PM

...and for my own edification - what'd he have?

psyduck 07-28-2005 11:41 PM

great topic. i'd love to hear the results, although I think you played perfectly. might as well get your money in as a 5:3 favorite. in fact, you can advertise yourself too as an idiot that calls all-ins with KQ

dtbog 07-29-2005 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in fact, you can advertise yourself too as an idiot that calls all-ins with KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

captZEEbo1 07-29-2005 01:38 AM

given your description EASSSSSSY call. Is this post just to brag about your nh?