Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AK when you don't hit the flop - a dumb question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281483)

flyangler 06-27-2005 01:45 PM

AK when you don\'t hit the flop - a dumb question

If you get AK (in any position) and there are no raises in front of you, do you always raise? If so, how do you handle it when the flop or turn don't at least pair you up? It seems like this happens a lot to me, often a Q or T will hit on the flop and I worry that those bigger cards have paired up someone else, in other words they may likely have a Q or T if they called my raise. How do you handle it, raise again? Fold if it doesn't fit (seems weak to me)? What do you do in this situation?
TIA

@bsolute_luck 06-27-2005 01:48 PM

Re: AK when you don\'t hit the flop - a dumb question

sorry all i got is it depends. each board, table condition, player reads, and position warrants different types of play.

do you have any specific examples?

pryor15 06-27-2005 01:52 PM

i raise AK in any position, even if it's already been raised. then, assuming i'm not re-raised, i bet the flop. if someone plays back at me, i go from there.

this may vary for the sake of reads or variety, but the idea is there.

MrWookie47 06-27-2005 01:52 PM

I don't mean to be mean, but there's no way anyone here can possibly answer your question.

I've been reading HoH, and in the opening of Vol 1, he describes a situation in which a beginnner is asking an expert about a hand. The beginner immediately jumps into talking about the cards, and the expert is constantly interjecting with questions about the stage of the tournament, stack sizes, position, player types, phase of the moon, alignment of the stars, and whatever else is pertinent. The beginner gives wishy washy answers before going back to talking about his own cards.

Think about these things, and then reply to the three AK unimproved threads that make it to the front page of this forum each day with how you'd play it without looking at the responses of other posters. Then go back and see how your answer stacks up, and ask for clarification if your answer is significantly different from that of the veterans.

tiltaholic 06-27-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get AK (in any position) and there are no raises in front of you, do you always raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
If so, how do you handle it when the flop or turn don't at least pair you up? It seems like this happens a lot to me, often a Q or T will hit on the flop and I worry that those bigger cards have paired up someone else, in other words they may likely have a Q or T if they called my raise. How do you handle it, raise again? Fold if it doesn't fit (seems weak to me)? What do you do in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends. really.
what is your position
how big is the pot
what is the board
how many opponents
who are your opponents (how do they play)
what is the action so far on the flop

are some of the relevant questions to ask...

flyangler 06-27-2005 01:55 PM

I told you all it was a dumb question... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

DeathDonkey 06-27-2005 01:58 PM

It is one of the hardest spots to play when you don't have a ton of experience, so in a sense it is not dumb at all, but natural that you would be concerned about it. However, it is tough if not impossible to give a strategy for these spots because it does depend on so many things. You will get better with overcards through experience and the discussions here. Post overcard hands and try to get people to give you a "why" instead of a "call" or "fold". Even better, try and get the "why" yourself, over time it will become easier to do so.

-DeathDonkey

MrEngenic 06-27-2005 02:27 PM

I almost always bet AK on a missed flop against 1 or two opponents. If the board looks scary, guess what, it looks scary for them too! I play mostly 1/2 on crypto and there are usually only 1 or 2 opponents on the flop.
However, if I have played the same people, I have raised with high cards and missed alot they begin to take stabs at me on dangerous boards. Then I sometimes check if I fear a bluff checkraise on coordinated boards.

I don't think it's much of a mistake to almost always bet AK when you miss and its shorthanded on the flop. If you don't bet overcards people will often fold those times you raise with high pockets and bet the flop. Keep them guessing if you have AK-AJ or AA-99.

aK13 06-27-2005 02:42 PM

Typically, almost everybody starts off (when they first learn/read SSH) with auto-betting the flop with overs, which is probably better than checking every flop (in the long run), but definitely not optimal strategy. # players, flop texture, position, reads all influence the decision.

imported_The Vibesman 06-27-2005 02:47 PM

In this situation, I usually like to spew chips uncontrollably. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Nothing makes me happier than to lose unimproved to a pair of 2s.
Sorry for the joke. I only said that because I tend to spew chips here, as a lot of new players will. It depends on the board and your opponents, what will they bet with, what will they call with, do they scare easy or not scare at all, etc., etc. It is a tough situation to play in.