Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Blind stealing overrated? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376225)

celiboy 11-11-2005 04:04 AM

Blind stealing overrated?

I've been trying to steal more blinds the last 1 - 2000 hands with some success although I'm wondering how much of a difference to ones winrate blind stealing makes. My last 10500 hands I have had 595 opportunities to steal blinds. This is 5.6%, so lets say we have 6 opportunities out of 100 to steal blinds. If we attempt to steal 25% of the time, this is 1.5 times out of 100 and of course not all steals will be succesful. Also, often when we steal we are normally gaining less than a big bet (the small and big blind). Can we say that stealing blinds is at best gaining us 0.5 bb/100 to our winrate? This question came to me after losing some big hands after being a bit too aggressive on blind steals where I end up contributing 3 or 4 BB's after my steal attempt.

Ianco15 11-11-2005 04:45 AM

Re: Blind stealing overrated?

[ QUOTE ]
Can we say that stealing blinds is at best gaining us 0.5 bb/100 to our winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true then I don't see how you can think blind stealing is overrated. +0.5bb/100 is a very nice boost. Blind stealing increases in importance as the stakes raise and players in general are tighter.

shant 11-11-2005 05:18 AM

Nah.

11-11-2005 09:20 AM

Every hand starts w/ a contest for the blinds. The better the players the more evident this is and more important it becomes to steal/defend well.

11-11-2005 01:06 PM

For me at least, it depends on the game. In a really loose game its very hard to steal the blinds since your so likely to be called. If your in a tight game you might be able to steal the blinds a lot more with aggressive play. Doyle Brunson said "when the game is tight play loose and when its loose play tight" (paraphrase)

bicyclekick 11-11-2005 01:15 PM

Blind stealing is soooooooo not overrated.

crunchy1 11-11-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This question came to me after losing some big hands after being a bit too aggressive on blind steals where I end up contributing 3 or 4 BB's after my steal attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like its your technique that needs some work.

RED_RAIN 11-11-2005 03:24 PM

I assume you play below 10/20.

Once you get higher, it's a lot of stealing. At 30/60 and 50/100 it's constant.

Also flip side, if you are always folding your blind to raise from CO-1, CO, and button, you are giving up tons.

adamstewart 11-11-2005 04:07 PM

Remember that essentially every single poker hand starts out as a battle for the blinds. In other words, at the start of a hand, there is no money to win except the blinds. Accordingly, whenever you open a pot, every bet you invest is an attempt to win (your share of) the blinds.

This becomes especially important as you move up through the higher stakes.

Adam

TexArcher 11-11-2005 04:43 PM

It's not overrated at all, blind stealing and defending are among the most important aspects of the game.